Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOW RODS 60 & 70s..stories - pics ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meatball, Oct 29, 2007.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's a few

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  2. Lotus503

Lotus503

The car probably isn't what the folks in Coventry originally had in mind when they first built the thing. I think the top is cut from a XK120 or 140 coupe. It has the right curves.

3. COLIN T

COLIN T
    from London, UK

Hi
    First saw the Lil Coffin back in the sixties - it fuelled my interest in custom show rods, and hot rods in general...
    My favorite now is the Voodoo Spider...

:cool::cool:

Attached Files:

4. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

While attending the '70 Nationals @ Indy I took this pic of the Paddy Wagon:

[​IMG]

It has a piece of wood in the front like it was used as a push car, maybe for a T/F car or maybe a F/C?

Another car that was there is the Egyption:

[​IMG]

Marty

5. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

6. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Here is the lobby poster for the movie "Out of Sight" featuring the ZZR:

[​IMG]

Here is the lobby poster for the movie Psych-Out which was SUPPOSED to have the Voxmobile in it:

[​IMG]

I obtained a copy of the movie Psych-Out and I suffered through the whole movie hoping to catch a glimpse of the Voxmobile. IT WASN'T IN THERE!!!

I looking for a copy of the movie Out-of-Sight (the 60's version, not the new one). Prefer DVD but will accept a playable VHS copy.

Marty

7. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

8. Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by delaware george [​IMG]
    anyone have a photo of the roach?.....i saw it in one of the showrods magazines..crazy
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Attached Thumbnails
    <!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend></legend> [​IMG]
    </fieldset>
    Anyone know the whereabouts of the Roach Coach? Did any model companies ever build a kit?

Steve

9. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

I've got many of those cars in "Hot Wheels" that I collected as a youngster.

"Cool Stuff" indeed!

10. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

No Model kits were ever made of a Roach Coach.. I wish some company would of done one though..

11. It's in "the Egyptian" Don Boeke's building in Dayton OH with the rest of his cars(every one he ever owned, I think:eek:) I saw it there last summer.

12. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

I truly think Ed Roth was the only builder who ever brought any dignity to these types of vehicles. His cars were amazing works of art, these others (bathtub car-telephone booth car etc...) just seem silly, I think they should have limited them to Hot Wheel production and skipped the real build... But then again it took more fabrication skills than I possess to build those cars, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut...

13. Wow!
    I'm assuming THESE pictures were taken at the same time!!

Attached Files:

14. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

HEY! Was that you I was waiting for to get out of the way?!?:D

That is VERY Kool!! I don't know why I didn't take a picture of the Vette.

Marty

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

That's hilarious....the HAMB and the web makes it a mighty small world indeed.

16. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Barris Way Out Wheels trading cards from the early 70s

I grew up thinkng he designed and built all of these.

Attached Files:

17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

You mean he didn't? ;)
    Ive got a bunch of those tucked away. Should look to finish collecting the set one of these days.

18. Was the Roach Coach ever featured in a magazine? I've seen pics from Hot Rod Show World but was there ever a feature showing the details, etc.?

Steve

19. Rikster

Rikster

I have a Chrome and Flames with an article on it.
    Chrome and Flames usually copied their Amercian based car articles from Americna magazines... so my guess is there would have been an article.

20. I dig this car.. I spent some time with it last year trying to get it onto a trailer.. that was a no-go.. too low and too long.. not to mention too damn wide.. like 8 feet wide at the rear.. I did fondle it from every angle in my attempt.. this thing is just too cool..

oh yeah.. just an after thought.. looking thru the photos i was admiring the ladies that were posed with some of the cars.. is it just me or were the women better looking back then??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They each had individual looks back then, now they are just carbon copys with fake add ons.

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

23. NOT TRUE.I saw it on ebay couple of weeks ago I think it was ELDON that made it

24. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I totally respect the work that goes into these and I love to jaw drop- but I just dont get why you put that much work into something that is so unfriendly to drive.

Still cool though

25. Because most peg the meter on COOL.JMO,but then again Im buildin the PIE WAGON..................:rolleyes:

26. Lotus503

Lotus503

It's a crying shame...Ray Farhner's / Doug Thompson's X-Ray, as last shown in the mid '80s. Very modified from it's original form.

Anyone have any earlier photos of this car they can post?

Attached Files:

• 1959Xray_1.jpg
      1959Xray_1.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      406.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      427.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      381.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      326.4 KB
      Views:
  27. larrygyure

larrygyure

Anybody have any information on what ever happened to Bob Reisner, the builder of that invador and a number of other top notch California show cars? He was married to my cousin in the 70s and I remember as a kid playing on his cars at his shop with the BIG dogs. Anything would be nice. thanks Larry, [email protected]

28. Ya might want to do a INTRO as per request when you signed in.........and maybe then somebody might have some info for ya,just a friendly idea

29. Rikster

Rikster

It sure is a shame how that car looked in the mid 80's... here it is in better days... Photo taken from the Wild Childs Hamb post.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.