Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs show me your chopped 46-48 Ford Tudors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kustoms2

kustoms2

Hey Guys went to dads for dinner and still no pics. I swear I'm not bullshitting you, we just have to find them. I am going over there in the morning to do an all out search for them. My dad thinks they got mixed up with family pics which consists of three huge rubbermaid containers.:eek:

2. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

wow. i owe you one if you can get some pictures my friend. Are you in Hamilton down by Cincinatti? thanks alot!

ace

3. Ace, the chop you need pictures of was in Rodder's Digest years ago. The top was chopped the width of the area between the bottom of the drip rail at the rear to the belt line. It was dropped straight down at the b pillar and the front a pillar was leaned forward at the bottom and down at the top to align them. The car was cut thru the trunk floor area and the entire top dropped down about 3 inches placing the bottom of the trunk lid at the tail pan. The rear fenders were shortened to match the body dropping straight down. The roof and drip rail was uncut and the trunk lid remained attached to the roof area like before. The whole roof just dropped straight down. Hope this makes sense. Pat.

I just got the url for Bill's hot rod book index page. You should be able to look up the article there and find the book. http://www.hotrodindex.150m.com/

4. Rikster

Rikster

Found it... Januari 1994 Custom Rodder magazine... Not a Ford, but a Mercury... but the main body is exactly the same....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windshield is raked back...

[​IMG]

5. chrisman

chrisman

Now, that's pretty slick!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Awsome Rikster thanks!!

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That looks pretty good on that Mercury, especially for a 4 door.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Guy down the road from me keeps hinting that he wants me to chop his '41, but I don't wanna do it because he's an obsessive perfectionist AND he wants it done in a very street-roddy style. But I did look at it pretty hard when he first mentioned it and it would be difficult to pull off well but sharp as hell if the right decisions are made along the way.
    Good luck, and post photos as you go!

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have to agree....shows your skills when you can cut a 4 door and make it look so cool...now all I have to decide is wether I drive mine for a year or two , or just go ahead and chop it from the get go..........decisions decisions:D

10. Karl stark

Karl stark

Anyone remember a 46-48 Merc. 4 door that was featured in an article probably in the mid 50's that had been shortened -(verticle chop?) I don't know if it was in Hot Rod or one of the Trend magazines. An older gent did the work himself and I think was from New Mexico. The photo Rick posted reminded me of it. Karl

11. Hasnt Eddie Paul been working on one in tech articles in OOLlllSKOOO rodszzz? think so. he had something severly chopped.

12. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Dunno, don't read thoze magazinezzzz ;)

Rikster, you are a god among men and i thank you. This chop is not for the faint hearted i believe...so might just have to do it!

Thanks very much, it is much much appreciated.
    -ace

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think it was a 39 or 40....been awhile since I remember seeing it.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Rik whats the chance you could work some photoshop magic with this last pic? I know its not real great starting material ( maybe a better resolution pic of a stock 4 door would be better?) but I am thinking 40's stlye tail dragger cleaned up with a set of skirts, small taillights nice and smooth :D

15. Rikster

Rikster

Yes working with a stock 4 door photo will be easier than using this photo. I will see if I can find a nice photo for it... I have done a bit of work on this already chopped four door.. its not chopped as nice as the article Mercury... but I modified the top a little more and added skirts and did a new stance etc to give it a more period look. But the photo is to low res to put to much time into it...

Starting photo...
    [​IMG]

And with a better stance, and a slightly shortened back portions of the body and fender...
    I like the side windows on the magazine article Mercury body much better.. but like I said this photo is poor quality and I don't feel like spending to much time on it.

[​IMG]

I found one more of the white one...

[​IMG]

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

18. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

that's a link to koolkemp's profile. and i've done the google with no results. maybe i'll try the yahoo and see what happens...

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any luck findimg your dads pics yet?

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Augie Salvador's '47 Ford Tudor Wheeling, WV

Attached Files:

21. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

thank you sir, much appreciated. looks to have had the same treatment done, the rear fenders look shorter. leaned back windshield tot. never would have noticed the fenders until some pointed out this way of chopping the ol' sedan. cool stuff

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Anyone have any rear shots of this one??

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Here's my old pile that will go under the knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. OK, I've been proven wrong... :D

26. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Augie's car and the white '46 are excellent chops! That is what i'm looking to do. Lots of work, but worth it in the end. Great photos, any other shots are greatly welcome. Thanks guys

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

I would love to see more pics of this one as well.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

29. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Rikster, are there any more photos of that custom rodder article? i'd be interested in seeing a little better how that rear half fits together when cut. I've been trying to find that magazine and i can't locate one.

thanks!
    -ace

30. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

ttt before i go to bed.