Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show Car Dreams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2011.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

My comment is a result of the book, but my observation is more of a comment on the state of the industry. I have published my own magazine, and after a few issues I realized how difficult it is to turn a profit. Its expensive in production costs as well as creative thought. After the experience I realize that the more practical and real money is made in digital information - not printed.
    The book is certainly ambitious, and I respect what they have accomplished. But to me is much like opening a new Blockbuster video store when everyone in the area relies on Netflix. Exclusivity in the market place is a huge advantage, but printed media is just too slow in this digital age to sustain such an advantage. Are they offering something that the market has never seen before? - absolutely. But is it something that they need? We will see.
    Why do you think that all the hot rod magazines refuse to cover cars we have already discussed here on the HAMB? Because we already have that data and we are the primary market for them, I would suspect.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

no. they do not cover these cars, nor any events of HAMB nature simply due to the fact they are tied to the HAMB. that print media is not a fan of this site, and its owner, is NOT news.

3. Did a search here by thread of "Frank Collingwood ASTRA" and have found nothing. No wonder it didn't make the book. No one but you knows where the car is. (lol)

Bob Sr worked long and hard to get as much history and pictures of the cars and events for the book. As car show chairman of the Indianapolis show dating back to the late 70's and a participant since the early seventies he called on me for alot of the information for the Great Lakes Division of ISCA. Getting high quality and high resolution pictures of cars and events that are worthy of putting in his book were very hard to come by. All I could afford back in the 70's for a camera was an old Polaroid instamatic. I have lots of pictures from back in the day, but damn few were print quality for his book. The best I could offer was to assist with a lot of the records and names of participants. Many participants only used their first and middle initials and strangely enough, no one in CASI or the ISCA could recall everyones complete names.

I know for a fact that Bob Sr contacted SME's from all over the country/world trying to get as much information as he could find for his book.

Pictures of the show cars were for the most part only archived if the car was selected for the yearly calendar or annual show program.
    Instead of blaming an author of a book for which it is too late to get your car in, as caretaker of a great old show car, get it out this year, take it to events, take pictures and post them here for all to enjoy.

Your car will love you for it and it will also get far more noteritiy than in a limited addition 1500 volume high zoot magazine that will set on a coffee table.

BTW, I am not ditzing the book. I plan to buy one before the summer is over.

Congrats to Senior and the book. It is as enjoyable to read as TRJ, only much much larger.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

seen it at the GNRS, interesting and would love to have it sitting on my coffee table but he is after a small elite crowd of hotrodders who can pay that price. No reason it should cost that much but I guess it is his book and he can set the price.. he could probably sell 5 times as many if it was $99 (still expensive but more in line with my budget if I splurged)

5. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Your absolutely right - it is not news. The fact of the matter is that WE are the news. The power has shifted from the media elite to you and me, and the beauty is that we are all connected together in this mix we call the HAMB. Its as important to reminisce as it is to celebrate the present builders. THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE HAMB!

6. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Your allegation the Astra and other ISCA (ICAS ) winners (not included in the book ) which are unknown or which cannot be found in the Hamb archives merit exclusion from a book which allegedly chronicles the history of the ISCA ( ICAS ) and costs from $250 -495 is very interesting indeed.

Your reasoning defies logic in my opinion.

The very fact that these cars are unknown but were winners that competed with well known hot rods and customs is even more reason to include them in the book.

What is the point of paying $250 - 495 for a book that includes photos of well known cars. We've all seen them before!

The value of any book is discovering the unknown. For example never before published photos but even better -photos of 'significant' cars that have "never" be seen before!

Frank Collingwood had a mass of material on his car including show photographs etc etc. He waited a lifetime to be contacted by the ISCA but could wait no longer. It's too late now!

It seems that you and a number of members have assumed that i am disappointed that my car was not included in the book.

You are simply speculating that is the case, you don't really know and you can never know! You assertions are misconceived because you dont know me - you dont know my values or what makes me tick.

You are employing "girlie" tactics

Please read my posts carefully before you make assumptions.

When you make assumptions you make an ASS-(of) -U- (&) - ME.

That is why assumptions are not admitted as evidence in a court of law.

Similar rules should apply on the Hamb, because assumptions without justification can be offensive in some instances.

Maybe some of you have been limited a to lifetime of reading comics and looking at picture books therefore your comments and assertions which lack substance ( based on assumptions or misconceptions ) are not surprising - they reveal exactly who you really are.

My submissions are not directed at you - i have no business with you - you simply stand in my way - move on!

If you think the authors have done such an outstanding job and the book is such good value for money - put your hand in your pocket rather than on the keyboard and buy not just one copy of the $495 Master Edition but better still buy multiple copies that's another way of showing your support for the authors and if you really want to rub it in PM me and let me know you bought multiple copies - scan and email the receipts to prove it!

That will really have me beaten!

I dare you !

In reality i doubt you are even game enough to shell out for one copy

The Astra is not my car and will never be, it will always be Frank Collingwood's ASTRA

I am simply a custodian as mentioned previously in my posts.

The ASTRA's history will remain intact whether or not it is included in the book.

The book has no bearing on the credentials of the ASTRA or any other ISCA ( ICAS) International winner not featured in the book.

The ASTRA and the ISCA ( ICAS ) International Championship winners were covered in detail in the book "SHOWTIME" and their story has already been documented in a book that cost a mere fraction of the price of the current book.

My concern is however, that readers paying out $250 -495 should get more information not less in respect of the history relating to the formative years of the ISCA (ICAS)

All i have done is to have made an observation that the book in question does not feature some of the International Championship winners - it is statement of fact.

Hamb members are entitled to know the pros & cons of any book under review and observations made by any member should be welcomed - not shunned!

It is not up to you speak for other individuals as to the whether or not my observations (as long as they are based on facts ) are of interest to them - they can make up their own mind!

And they'll do that by deciding to buy or not to buy the book!

It is not helpful to other members on this forum to have some individuals come along & say - who gives a fuck? - well obviously i do - and others like me just in case you didn't notice "bro" ( of course anyone who is Daft is excused )

I can't help feeling that some people may feel that my observations are right on the money and to the extent they believe my observations may actually undermine the integrity of the book that they feel compelled to shunn my submissions by using "girlie" tactics to suggest that i must be upset that my car was not included in the book to detract from the focus of my submnissions. Sorry! - but i grew up a long time ago!

If you have not realised just yet - i am not just referring to Frank Collingwoods Astra but other ISCA champions also which have not been included in the book, none of these will ever be my cars including the ASTRA ( i'm merely a custodian ) but they are significant cars which are part of the ISCA competition and history and warrant inclusion in any worthwhile book on the history of the ISCA ( ICAS) not from the authors perspective but rather in the interests of the reader.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i just could not read all of that, too much diatribe and ranting... however.

i'm not trying to start any drama, or get into a pecker measuring contest with you either, but i would like to point out this;

if the car you are referring to is SOOOOOO important, and MUST be in any book to "validate" said book, and should have been mentioned on the HAMB before, why has it not?
    in my opinion, that makes the car a lot less significant that it needs that much publicity. you have yet to show a photo of the vehicle, unless i have missed that post. to me it sounds as if you feel slighted that your car has not been mentioned in the book, or here on the board. it feels as if you are a trophy hunter, still trying to win accolades and laurels even now... please, prove me wrong.

you own the Astra? man, thats amaaaazing!!!! how bout some photos? i'd love to know more about your car, and its history.

if you truly believe that this book has been poorly written, and does not include a major piece of show car history, contact me and we'll write a book if we can. i'm DEAD SERIOUS about this. my number is in my signature. call, PM or email, lets talk.

8. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Case in point! That is why I love the HAMB!

9. His pussy is hurt.

10. WoW... What a rant....Geeeeshhh

Agreed FiddyFour and Tman.

This thread is useless without pictures.

I need to see the Astra, cause I aint finding much when I Google it....

11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The e-peen is strong with this one."
    - Yoda

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Voodoo... Time to drop it man... You invited opinions. You got them. That's how it works.

Fellas, no more drama.

13. DrJ

DrJ

I have and listen to 78 RPM Jazz records from the 20's :p
    And I have T shirts older than the "Beastie Boys", whoever they are...

14. Ol_skool_Chevy

Ol_skool_Chevy

Can you tell me if there is a car in that book called :" The Seven Year Itch". Its a 1929 open wheel roadster and it was showed in 1969 at the Grand National Roaster show.
    It won Best open wheel class. after it was showed in 1969 it was put in a trailer and never came out till 2010.....
    I have that car now and have been looking for photos..

15. handsomehobbs

handsomehobbs
    from San Diego

'Beck' sings "Two Turn Tables", not the Beastie Boys... sorry eh

16. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Are they still doing the ISCA Shows down south? Is Mark , Bobs son still active in the show set ups?

17. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to bring this back from the dead, however, I first saw this book at Back to the 50's this year in St Paul, MN. I was fotunate enough to meet Bob Sr. and see this book in person.

The sales pitch lasted until I opened the first page and told myself, "I have to buy this." I bought the Master Edition with all the books and a poster of all the AMBR winners. Well worth the money.

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

I saw this book this weekend at Good Guys and loved it until I saw the price. I can't pay that much for a book. Just can't afford it and I imagine many can't either. Many of us would buy it if it was at the $60-$75 dollar price. Want it, but just can't have it I guess.