Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show Car Dreams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Expensive, but that would be a great piece to have on a coffee table.

3. Anderson

Anderson

It looks and sounds really cool. But $250 is an Okie Joe dropped axle....a reproduction '32 grill shell....5-6 tanks of gas....hell, sometimes I have a hard time spending $15 on a TRJ because I read it once and put it on the shelf. Good luck to them but I doubt it's something you'd see on Joe Average Hot Rodder's book case.

4. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

When you put it that way, I guess paying $500 for a car show book is way better than tasting a toasted Texas dog turd. But what a labor of love to put it together and publish it. No wonder it's expensive.

5. Knowing what I do about printing, I'd say each book cost at least $75-100 each to print, especially in such a small quantity... So a $250 retail price is probably not unreasonable, but it's still $250... in 2011.

They'll all get sold, but I'm probably not ever going to be invited into anybody's house that bought one...

If they come out with a large soft cover for about $60-$70 for the main book, it may come to me as a Christmas present, but I would never buy it for myself.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Wazzup with the fucking rap music at the end of the video?
    That blows..Thank gawd for the mute button.
    It might be interesting car show stuff to people who didn't go see it live back then I guess, or were in diapers when rap music started.

Thanks for posting it though anyway Ryan.
    It's always good to see what's being done, even if it is on paper.. :cool:

7. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Does the book feature all the ICAS Hall of Fame inductees - particularly the Frank Collingwood built Kellison "ASTRA" ICAS 1965-66 champion and Hall of Fame inductee?

8. sololobo

sololobo

Wow, thanks man, I feel like I just got a $100.00 preview. As my love for uber cool packaging and commitment to sweet projects like this says hell ya, my bank account is blinking a red light. I am sure these will all find good homes and I wish this outstanding project the best. Thanx for giving some of us poor boys a glimpse of this beauty. Really dig it. ~sololobo~

9. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

No doubt it is expensive, but well worth every penny. I looked at a buddies and also had the pleasure of looking at the project with Bob when it was more than half done. If you can afford any of the different editions, I would highly recommend you purchasing one. It is a huge accomplishment for hot rod veterans, Bob Senior and Fetherston. It will really make you feel like you lived through all those indoor car shows! Plus there is a ton of photos that have never been in print or rarely seen.
    -Aaron

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Expensive, yes...but when they're gone they're gone.

I'll bet that if you bought two of the really expensive sets...kept one to enjoy and put the other one away in a cool, dark drawer UNOPENED, that in ten years you will be able to put it on Ebay and that will bring enough to pay for both, so you get the one you have for free.
    Think about it, if you can spare the dough now.
    Better than any other investment you could make today.
    ==================================
    I might just do that before the wife comes home. :rolleyes:

and then run like hell :)

11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the Beastie Boys.

12. Racewriter

Racewriter

Thanks for the review, Ryan. I saw the book at SEMA and again at the KC World of Wheels. Damn near bought then, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge.

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Rare specialized items for a select few who are "into" that specialty are cool.......... but not for everyone.....

14. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Someone woke up on the wrong side of their posturepedic medical bed. BTW the Beastie Boys been performing around for like 30 years.

I bet you freaked when you first heard Jazz in the twenties.

15. More unobtainium.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just thinking the same thing. Whats this gonna be worth in ten years. Not gonna happen on my budget, hell the deluxe version would cover the pistons for my 327. I sure would like to have ith though, and its gonna go up in value.

17. You young whipperschnappers!

Hell, I am 41 and get it!;) I'm on the run sheriffs got my gun......................

Looks like an awesome book. But, for 3-500 bucks I can have half of my fire bottle system for the lakester. Or my rebuild parts for the 265 in the tudor.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It looks to be a very high quality book and the packaging was well thought out . These are very low number printed books and I can understand why so much . If they had printed out 10,000 it would be $35 !
    There are so many books that have been printed and many sell for much more than that just because it was the first edition ! With that said I can totally understand why the big dollar price on a rare , low printed book about something we all enjoy very much . We seem OK to spend that much and more on a set of "Special " rear slicks for our special roadsters , cars and trucks , so if you are into these kind of books then buy it !
    How about spending BIG MONEY for a real steel 2 door 1932 Ford ! That was less than $1000 when new ! Now you will spend an arm and a leg with your first born to have that 32 Ford so don't go and say that book is way too much money and overpriced . Think about the things you have bought and what the original price was ! It's an investment that will bring you more profit down the road that most any other investments out there !
    So with this being said , just remember what the book is and what it's about and really consider buying the book . I really wish I could afford that book because one day someone will pay you an awful lot more for the book many said was way too much money !
    I will envy the ones that can get their hands of the super big edition ! I wish I could buy one myself !
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I ordered and paid for one over a year ago from Bob before he even had anything to show. when I recieved it it was worth it. great book...love this show car stuff...

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just another sign for me that I am not part of the Hotrod scene anymore. I'm certainly not in their demographics. Actually I'm not too disappointed in that.

21. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I've never been interested in coffee table books as decorative accents, but I purchased one covering GM's Motorama car shows of the 50's. It was used, and I paid $50.00 for it. I've read and re-read it - absolutely worth the money. Sometimes the quality remains long after the price is forgotten. It would be a shame to miss Show Car Dreams. Thanks for the review.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

I think it's definitely worth the money.

23. Fenders

Fenders

Ten years? Hell with the budget, not gonna happen at my age (70).

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

This looks to be awesome! I hope to see more of it someday (maybe even stroke the velvet lining.......)

Oh and, Beastie Boys?! C'mon Ryan!

I guess I just never got the subtle east coast nuance that is the Beasties.
    hahhahahaa

25. Several years ago I met Steve Coonan at an east coast car show and he was getting ready to start printing Rodders Journal and he said the price was going to be $10.00 per copy. I thought...nice quality magazine but Good Luck getting anyone to pay that price.The #1 copy now goes for $$$ on eBay I think. I still have mine and every copy printed since.
    I had several cars in the old Ram Rods Car Show back in the sixties and even got to meet Ed Roth and the original Orange Crate owners, helped push the '40 Ford Matador and the Mysterian into the old D.C.Armory. I would love to see a book about those days with some good old original photos of those shows. I might be able to buy a copy if I can just sell enough junk at the Parts Meet and Flea-Market this weekend!
    They will sell out for sure, and it won't take long. I think they are of more interest to the Old Farts and anyone who was there.

26. Ok Ryan, from what you wrote... I just shelled out the dough for this book. Sounds killer.. But I loved the "Duece" book ... I like to collect the limited edition books. I will let you all know what I think at some later point..

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

did i miss the video review?

28. At the bottom of the Journal entry,.

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I sat at the booth at GNRS for about an hour flipping through that book.. if I had the spare dough I would of bought it in a heart beat.. Its truly an amazing book of car shows and the photos are awesome..

30. meteor

meteor

I must be blind, I don't see it either...