Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ShovelJockey's Model A Sedan Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ShovelJockey, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

I scored a Model A Sedan last night for pretty cheap. Ive been looking for one and collecting parts for a build for a while now. So far Ive got an 8BA Flattie and a drive train from a 51 F1. The body is going to be taken completely apart first and dipped in our rust removal baths. Then I will make patch panels to repair the rusted out/heavily damaged areas. I am planning on a 6-8" chop, channeling the body over the A's z'd frame, adding 2-3 inches to the height of the car at the belt line, and removing the bead of the belt. The inner flanges where the body is bolted together will be made new, riveted together, then lead soldered and filed smooth. Ive got a special plan for the roof. Thats my secret for now. Bear with me. This one is going to be a wee bit drawn out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Sounds like a good time, I'll be watching 👍👍

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That sounds like a pretty serious chop. Is your secret plan for the roof the ability to stick your head through it to see where you're going? Lol

5. captmullette

captmullette

that's a LOT of chop....mine's 3 inches and I wouldn't want 4

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

7. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Yeah it is a lot of chop. That's why I am z'ing the frame and then adding a strip into the entire car. Sort of a reverse section I suppose you would call it. Laying on the ground but still have some headroom. I'm not overly tall so I think I can make it work. I fabricate all sorts of things for my job as a restoration wrench. This will take a lot of time.

8. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Just to show I'm not completely full of crap, here is a tank I modified for a customer. It was a sporty tank but he wanted it lengthened, narrowed, and have a curvier top instead of the flat top like stock tanks do. I've just got to weld a tunnel and floor in it now.

*edit: I have yet to work the left side radius to match all the way back.

[​IMG]

9. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

subscribed. Just traded my 63 1/2 ht falcon for a basket case of model a coupe parts. Gotta finish a couple of other ot projects before I can start stiching mine together.

10. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I'll be watching this one!

11. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

I have a few customer things to tidy up before I can begin taking the old girl apart. I did scrounge up a 3 speed tranny out of the 51 F1 that will be donating a lat of her parts to the build. Everything is going to be rebuilt in the process.

Greasy transmission before going into the hot tank for degreasing.

[​IMG]

As I have mentioned before, we have a special rust removal setup consisting of two different baths. The first step is an acid bath that removes the rust and etches the metal. The second is a solution of water and baking soda that neutralizes the acid to prevent any further flash rust. Here are some before and after pictures of a hood from a tractor I am restoring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

13. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

The car has finally found it's turn to receive attention. The panels are coming apart and going through the de-rusting process. The passenger side is the worst of the car. Soon I will be placing my order for sheet metal and begin fabricating. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414546947.827127.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414546972.308839.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414546985.242724.jpg

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang thats some good stuff.

15. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Lines to be cut. Unfortunately it looks like most of the car is going to need re fabricated before I can begin the process of chopping it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414606736.911434.jpg

16. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Just got real... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414609754.131773.jpg

17. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Here's what 6" out of the lid looks like on my '28. You have your work "cut" out for you, I'm subscribing. 094 (3).JPG 095 (2).JPG

elmitcheristo, kiwijeff and rottenpop like this.
  18. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

That is exactly the chop I am after. That is a beautiful rod!!!

If anyone owns stock in a sheet metal factory, I have a feeling I am going to help your prices out with this car.

19. Very ambitious project!

20. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Yes it is very ambitious. I've done a few cars and lots of motorcycles in addition to dozens of tractors for my day job. This is by far the largest undertaking to date. My dad (who taught me the trade) has always told me to do the most difficult part of the job first so that you don't lose interest/drive. By taking the car apart and making smaller "bites" of it, experience has proven this method to be the best for me.

It's easy to become overwhelmed with such a disaster of a project. Bit by bit she will be proud once more

21. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

New roof panel above the passenger side door vs the old one. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414695921.340565.jpg

The shape is pretty close. Will need to flange it before any final adjustments can be made ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414695982.290082.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    5wcoupehunter likes this.
  22. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414786067.699509.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414786087.724314.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414786107.564186.jpg

It's really hard to see but all the curves match up very nicely. I have some final details to work out but it's pretty much where it needs to be.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Your making good progress.. Keep it up...

24. I'll be watching, look'in good so far.

25. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Just checked the thread, nice work....Not an easy panel to make, looking forward to see how you make the nailing slots, or are you going to fill in the other slots and make a solid roof?

Perk74 likes this.
  26. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

There will be no slots. I will be taking all of the slots, belt line, and seams out of the car and making it all one big seamless piece. The joints where the body panels meet will have the flanges welded on the inside and leaded on the outside.

27. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Got it, I figured that's what you were doing. I'm just fishin' to see what the secret plan is for the roof, but your not letting the cat out of the bag yet. I'm guessing a smoothy Bonneville look. Keep up the great work, looks like a lot of fun.

28. ShovelJockey

ShovelJockey

Wood and stainless steel will be involved.

29. tinmann

tinmann

I'm a big fan of working with what you've got or can afford. Bringing something back from the dead that others wouldn't dare touch is strangely satisfying. I'll be watching as you bully this A bone into submission.

Markmonty likes this.
  30. banginona40

banginona40

I love saving old stuff. Way to go!