Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should we reproduce old speed equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown Speed Shop, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Actually if you leave your driveway and motor across town there is a fella and his friend that are reproducing some of the old stuff per order.

Some of the old time hot rod parts are well protected by the original producers or their families or the folks who purcahsed the rights to them whenever. Some of the things that we want or need is being reproduced by various people around the nation. You can buy Ardun-esc heads for instance if you are willing to sell a kidney. Way over priced by my wayof reconing. You can even buy a reproduction flathead block if you don't mind aluminum.

I don't know anyone that reproduces kinmont brakes but I do know that reproduction 45 fin buick brakes are available. Some one preproduces finned aluminum pieces for Buicks. New Engle cams are available but you have to really look to get your hands on one.

Anyway there are reproduction speed parts to be had if you just look around a bit.

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Talk to Charlie Yapp and the other guy who makes high compression heads for Model A and have a waiting list. They sell every one they make and if you talk to them you will learn the answer to "Should we make repro parts?'
    Just one thing---make good parts. We dont need any more poorly fitting junk

3. EASY QUESTION!

Yes! Reproduce old speed equipment!

Do it for the fun or for a profit. Make exact reproductions or whatever. Just make certain it's quality. It should always be a better product than the off shore crap out there.

If someone wants someting to look "original", they can do their own faux patina.

My list includes air cleaners, manifolds, steering wheels and etc., etc. Maybe an affordable Auborn Dash insert! I've seen the pics on here of the beautiful 1940 (?) Studebaker tail lights!

OK Cowtown guys, just what parts do you have in mind? This is exciting!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. 8-Track

8-Track

I hate all the reproduction stuff that is a poor quality that dosnt fit or work good or needs 2 hours to make it fit right. the stromberg 97 is the best reproduction part i have ever purchased.

5. rusty28a

rusty28a

Heck yes! As a past customer of Cowtown Speed Shop, I look forward to it as you guys are the best!

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see lots of passionate replies and less realistic ones. As some of you know I restore Packards and other heavy American Classics. The repop list might amaze you but think of what they're being made for and more importantly, WHO they're made for. Also many of the parts are short runs or made to order simply because there's not a lot of blue collar types doing them. In our world we're filled with basic 9 to 5ers who want things really bad. This is why there's places like Speedway. He services that market well. What you're asking about is much higher end, quite rare and unique, and talk about a limited market, what's the customer base? Let's say I could afford the kool shit. I'd much rather have the real thing but I wouldn't be opposed to repro service parts to get keep the stuff working as it should. Perhaps that's an avenue to explore, service and restoration of the "good stuff" for those who lucked out and found it. Tough call. I reproduced 5 Packard V12 down pipes for the 33-34s. Every one you found was rusted out inside their shell. Mine were stainless and faithful to the OEM design, the only concession being a minor change in the shell that wasn't detected once they were glazed. I had figured I might build a total of 50 pipes. They went fast and all 5 buyers were happy, the last one was sold 2 months after the 1st 4 that went in about 3 weeks. I NEVER GOT ANOTHER CALL. 2 years later someone inquired and paniced at the price. In the end, if you want to do limited run of something and keep it exclusive to a specific market, you might not see a big profit margin. You might however see a few additions to your client list when they find out what you're about.

7. Highlander is on the right track here. Lets assume that you thought that hurst style mounts for Oldsmobile was a good idea. Or I guess you could call them repop hurst mounts.I am using that example because there is a fella that makes an excellent repop hurst mount for Rocket engines. They are very true to the originals with the exception that he added a stiffener to ease the pressure on the timing cover.

I looked at a set and inquired as to the price, 125 a pair. Too rich for my blood and I own a drill press and some steel. They are a quality piece don't get me wrong but it is something that if I want a pair I can do myself for a 3rd of the price even counting my time.

In order to survive the market you need to do it as an on order basis. This will not work for cast pieces. But it will work for fabbed parts like say a tube axle or a hurst style engine mount.

If I were going into that type of business I would make perhaps a display piece or one piece that I run on my rolling bussiness card and put out a catalog. Then offer them on a per order basis.

The one thing that you need to remember is that you are in a niche market. This market will change with trends, you cannot afford to have stock on the shelf that has it stay there until they become cool again when the trends change.

8. 5w32

5w32

my first reaction is NO....but then .......maybe ok to reproduce as long as its not exactly the same, slight changes so you can not pawn it off as original! then the real parts are still cool and hold their value.

9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I'm the new kid (old man) on the block but here's my 2 cents......

For several years I've collected gas pump globes.....original gas pump globes. I've worked hard to build a collection that's different than everyone else's. I've got around 160 globes. Some common, some rare, and some incredibly rare. My stuff has been featured in one of the petro hobby mags multiple times. I'm to the point where I won't let the magazines use pics of my really rare or desirable stuff, nor will I post pics of the good stuff on the petro forums. Why? Because I'm tired of chasing some of this stuff for 10-12 years then ponying up the cash to buy it, only to have someone that wants a pretty repro globe to put on a pump he's restoring commission a run of repops. I've all but stopped participating in that hobby after being heavily involved for many years. The WOW factor can now be bought anyone with a computer and a credit card. The value of many (not all) originals that have been repopped have taken a big hit in value.

I can envision the same thing happening with repro speed parts. The WOW factor will be gone. I realize there's an absolute need for sheet metal and trim. Rather than repro'ing the speed parts why not make new or improved versions with your own logo? That would fill the need for the guys that need parts to get their cars on the road, and it would have less of an effect on the value (and WOW factor) of originals.

As far as rare original stuff costing so much......I'm not rich. I swing a hammer for a living. I don't have a problem with having to work, save, wheel and deal to eventually get what I want. Even if it takes years. The more stuff that's repopped, the more the existing stuff will lose it's Wow factor (and to some degree value).
    Most traditional rods I've seen are a work in progress. Their owners are updating them as they find or can afford different parts. IMHO a lot of "tradition" will be gone from traditional rodding as more and more rodders bolt on newly made parts, especially newly made speed parts.

Put me down as not being in favor of the I've got to have it now (and cheaper) mentality that leads to some things being reproduced that really shouldn't be (IMO).
    I realize others may have a differing opinion and that's fine. I'm not here to argue. Just wanted to give my perspective.
    Pops

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

We can buy new flathead heads and intake manifolds from Edelbrock and Offenhauser as well as new Fenton cast iron headers. We can buy cams, pistons, bearings and just about all internal parts new. We can buy new repro Stromberg Carbs. We can buy new suspension parts, seals, bearings, brakes, gas tanks. We can buy repro wiring harnesses with correct colors and connectors. We can buy repro fabric interiors in correct colors and patterns.

Why not add to the list?

11. RussTee

RussTee

It never fails to amaze me that we look back to what we had rather thanmove forward with modern tech such as cnc and modern head design. Why do we remember this stuff because it was good why do we not design a better overhead valve conversion for the flatty if it is better it will sell. The same for Kinmont brakes they were not the best but if someone now designed something that looked good and worked well would it sell? maybe this is where we should be looking. Most of the old guys were backyarders who went on to form well known firms maybe a wellknown firm or speedshop should start making parts that become wellknown

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If we did this, we'd be building modern street rods.
    Oh, yeah, other guys ARE doing this!
    Things built today "might" work better, but the parts and most things built in the past were designed better, look better, and have some soul. That's why we are HERE on this traditional forum.
    BTW, an example of what you are refering to is the modern Magneto-look distributors, that have modern electronics inside. They seem to be popular, if a bit expensive. They also tried to put fule injectors inside dummy Strombergs, but That really didn't take off well.

13. Jimv

Jimv

in the "Collectable auto" world I think "HAMB" type car guys are the minority! How many times have you heard the complaint about a show of" Lots of cars but no Old school type cars! As much as we all love what we're doing i don't think we could support a market of "reproduced speed parts"!
    I bet if you read the annual finacial reports for companies like edlebrock, etc you'd be shocked at how little of there sales are for "vintage" shit.There all looking at the bottom line & like someone on here said"everybody wants one" Till ya go out & spend good money on repopping them then everyones gone.
    JimV

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on. The idea is to return to or (some of you hate this) "restore" early rods and kustoms. That includes the components from the time and the more rare they are the more pricey the real thing gets. Things like the "Powergen" look-alike alternator might look ok but it ain't the same, it's expensive and some say prone to failure in certain applications. Getting back to the point I tried to make above though, consider rebuilding and modifying a real generator to produce AC current and high amp loads like a modern alternator. If someone could come up with such a service for a hundred or more less than a Powergen you might be on to something. Every idea begins with a demanding market. Like Jim V said, we're a small contingent here. Out of the 100K members on this board maybe 1/2 are all in and have cars or projects. Of those maybe 10% are in the market for kool shit at it's current value, and even less of them are of the financial means to drop 5 figures on certain items. I build really expensive shit and I don't have the green for a set of new or gennie Arduns, Kinmonts, Scot blowers, etc. Reality rears it's ugly head in my case. How many Ardun powered cars are at a "Goodguys" meet? How many sets of Kinmonts are there? I'd bet not many and not soley for reasons of scarcity.

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Reproduce vintage speed equipment ?

I say sure, why not. That way every Johnny-come-lately, with engineer
    boots, cuffed jeans, rolled sleeves with a pack of camels, greased hair
    and a shop jacket, who has a computer and a credit card, can own a
    genuine, original, imitation, repop, just so he can be a traditional
    rodder, with all of the latest and greatest speed parts.<O:p</O:p

It's only original, vintage and rare, because it's original, vintage, and rare.

Speed parts. No !
    Patch panels, rubber goods, electrical components, wear parts,
    and trim, etc. Yes !

16. REPRODUCE it ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. big creep

big creep

yes! just make sure you make it here in the good old USofA! no china made crap! i wouldnt mind paying more to keep another American working!

18. photofink

photofink

Exactly what I was thinking.

19. I don't see anything wrong with reproducing original speed parts. I do think that something on the part should be changed on it (script, numbering, placement of logos..etc.) to let someone know that it is not an original, but a very good reproduction. I bought an Edelbrock x-1 intake earlier this year,then found out they are going to reproduce them....I was kinda bummed out at first, but I still think it's cool to have an original one.

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A lot of the parts that are sold today as original are actually early repops from the 70s. I have a friend that said an old farmer gave him a Thickstun air cleaner. I was sure it would be one from the 70s. It turned out to be a gennie with the hogs hair filter material and a perforated retainer plate to keep it in place. It's the only one that I have ever seen in person. Most of the SP carb tops for the Strombergs are old repops. Once they are in the supply they all just meld together.

21. I blame it on the 1-800- credit card places. The young generation doesn't appreciate the hard work it takes to earn the $ and then hold that $ while you hunt high and low for months tring to find that part. Today, everyone wants to open a catalog or type in www. something and find it now and pay now with a credit card.

I say no more reproduction stuff, you want it, save and wait for it. Everyone today wants instant gratification to their wants. Take care of your needs first then save up and wait for your wants!

And I can say that as, I am of the 1-800- generation!!!

22. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Engineer here.

3D printing with metal has come a huge way in the last couple years. Laser scanners are even cheaper then they should ever be. Solidwork is 4K or so, at some point it will be simply cheaper to print the darn things in the US then even have to worry about casting them overseas. All the money is in the scan and design, the printer could care less what its printing, so ~2K for me to scan cleanup and produce print drawings on just about anything.

Give me a basic 3d scanner, a few hours in solid works and a few years for the tech in printers to come along and I can crank out a 97 stromberg for ~30$ dollars in material. All you really have to do is sell enough to pay back the engineer, print on demand.

Technology changes pretty fast and stuff like this will save Hot Rodding I am convinced.

Of course I am a little biased.
    [​IMG]

23. How about the "DuVall" style windshield? Speedway gets $1,599 for theirs! Can we beat their prices????

24. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Cowtown - if you can find something not already reproduced that you feel would be a financially viable addition to our hobby and you put a Cowtown style on it, do it. We all want to go faster in style.

I will forever search out original stuff, however I happily run a new Offenhauser dual carb intake on my 241. If I had to use an original, six years in I'd still be searching for an affordable one. Or, for example, I may have skimped in other, perhaps more important areas, like brakes and tires.

The reproduction of these parts has allowed countless numbers of us to have a more fulfilling experience with the machines that we love.

25. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

If you can you should long as it is manufactured as well or better than the original. I have a good friend doing it. He busts his ass and is not getting rich but he owns the market in his given product and cant keep up. So what are you going to make,? I may need one. I have done the group buy thing it works, I made money the original and the legacy lives on with someone who I gave the tool.

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Reproducing old speed equipment is a chance to not only make it available again but, in some cases, make it better. Having wrestled for a coupe of years with an original Ardun (see avatar) and all their problems (cracked valve seats, heavy pushrods, no rocker oil system, etc.), I appreciate that the reproduction Ardun sets have overcome some of these issues...so maybe Strombergs that don't leak, new Edmunds heads that are not warped (like the set I bought used years ago), etc....patent stuff is important, as others have noted, but as long as the new stuff is different enough from the originals that originals are still distinct, than I say reproduce...

27. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

If you're going to copy a piece of speed equipment, only to make improvements, to make it better than the original, you have not made copy, you have made an original part. Now give it a new name, and market it as such.

If you copy an original and leave it exactly the same, you are either infringing on copy rights, or just stealing someone elses designs.

If all of the obscure hot rod parts are reproduced, and you guys flock to buy them, Ryan will have to start a new board, just for the .....................
    Traditional Repop Rodders :rolleyes:

28. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Most of theUltra rare stuff rots in museums and/or collections.

I'd love to see it on the street!

29. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

o wow another way to make everyone have the same thing as everyone else