Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I trade? AAAARRGH!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InstantT, Apr 15, 2013.

1. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

2. I own a 55, and I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at a couple of different cars.
    Look at it this way: 57s are everywhere. There's nothing that hasn't been done with them. If you're fine with that, and having another "me too" car as I am, no reason to trade. For me, I'm just getting a little bored with my 55. I still love it, but the trill is not what it once was. Maybe I can reignite the flame, maybe not.
    FWIW, you can build a killer 57 for a lot less than that Mopar, and find any part you may need for it.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Keep in mind that the first example posted is a '41 and not a '47, I don't think they share a single body panel between them. The red one with the Cad grille is nice, though.

I've had both a Plymouth coupe and a '57 Chevy and I'll tell you that the Plymouths are a lot more common and can be had a lot cheaper than the Chevy can, assuming they're in similar condition. The only upside of the Plymouth is that it's running, but if you're going to swap out the engine anyway, I think you'd be making a mistake in trading, at least from a value standpoint.

But for any kind of real, solid advice, you're going to have to post pictures and a better description of each.

4. n847

n847

Oh...and that 440 is gonna be a biatch to fit between those frame rails...not impossible but difficult!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

HAMMER to fit, PAINT to match...!!!

R-

6. farmer12

farmer12

If you're a true Mopar guy, go for the Plymouth. If you're a little less Mopar than you think you are, put the 440 in the 57.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

First thing i thought of...
    Wonder if hooker 440 a-body headers would fit...

8. You have a car, and an engine? Why are you not cruising with your boys?

440 in the 57!!

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Keep the chevy and maybe trade in the future for a 33 34 mopar.

10. wallyringo

wallyringo

hell yeah a 440 in a 47 coupe, duddeeeee..

11. luapsed

luapsed
    from Fords, NJ

How much would it take to put the drive train in the Chevy? I had a 48' and everything seemed to cost double to Chevy and Ford parts. If the Plymouth is all original you definitely need better brakes and suspension. Sell the 440 and put all that money into the Chevy. I nice big block would really put a smile your face !

12. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Sell the 57 Chebby, they're everywhere
    Build the Mopar

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

JMHO, but get rid of the Chevy and go with the Plymouth...
    I may get blasted for this, but everybody has a tri-five Chevy...but not a lot of really cool old Plymouth's around.
    Good luck, and yes....let us see pics too.
    Cheers........

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

The 57 Chevy will always be a '57Chevy, the Plymouth will always be a frumpy Plymouth. Think down the road about ten years.

15. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

Chevys got my vote,they out sold Plymouths 5 to 1,thier was a reason,

16. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Talking only money, the Mopars of that era are dirt cheap. Tri 5's are almost like a modern Deuce. Condition is sooo important though. Is your '57 a good one, a rough one, or somewhere in between? I have seen nice!!! mopars of the '40's going for $5K or even less in KS. I see folks ask more, but they don't sell good then. In the end, though, it's what makes ya happy, just do that and all will be well.

17. ford495051

ford495051

I put a 413/727 combination in a 57 Chevy...That car was fast. I wonder where it is now?

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There were more BB mopars in tri-5 chevies around back in the sixties than there are now, thats for damn sure...

19. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I talked to the guys in my club and they about killed me for considering the trade. The back story is that my first car in high school was a 57 chevy and I put it up for sale so I could buy a 56 crysler southampton coupe. That chrysler is the car that flipped my switch to mopars. I ended up crashing the chevy in a blizzard before it sold (but someone bought it from me and it is back on the road). I picked up the 440 for a 36 five window that my buddy has yet to give up to me (it used to be my grandmother's). My dad remembers a 46 plymouth running b/gs at pomona back in the day, reportedly fast but ugly. I also have a 350/350 in the garage (from my old 57) and a 354 hemi (from a 4 door chrysler shitbox) Don't think I haven't already measured for the 440. Definite possibility. Hemi as well. Tri fives and 36s are a sentimentality thing for me. My grandpa built a 36 phaeton that now belongs to my dad, my dad has always been a chevy guy. I like mopars because they're so....interesting to look at. Here's a pic of the 7, needs a trunk floor and rocker repair.

20. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

WTF? how do I attach pics without using a url?

21. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

22. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

24. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

25. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

My dad: "I've always liked plymouths. They turn my head cause they're different. But the chevy will always be triple a plymouth's value. I wish I never sold my 50 Chevy. Or my Model A. You'd turn that plymouth into a project anyway."

Club President: "Remember my 48 plymouth? That thing was a slow ass turd. You'll hate it. Ain't like your Chrysler, its a f@#$in plymouth!"

Wife: "It's cute. Which one has better paint?"

I think the chevy will win out on this one. Thanks all.

26. Drive Em

Drive Em

My thoughts exactly!!!

27. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

57s are boring and WAY overdone! Id take the plymouth hands down!! When the question is 50s or 40s....the answer is always 40's!

28. Squablow

Squablow

Speaking just from a resale value standpoint, that Plymouth would have to be damn near mint condition to be a fair trade for the '57.

It's not that I don't like Mopars of the era, I do, I even have one, but you'd be getting hosed in a straight up trade.

29. Keep the Chevy. Looks to be a nice car.