Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I stretch my Hudson?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING, Feb 27, 2009.

1. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I like this idea, it would make people scratch their heads. Not obvious like a limo stretch.

2. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I think the stretch idea is a good one and something way different.
    How about a second front seat facing backwards then if you do have a 6th kid he'd already have a seat, sounds like fun!!!!
    My brother had 8 kids and they used an old '65 Ford van back in the 70's, everybody but Mom & Dad sat on the floor.
    I enclosed the '41 to '47 Hudson page from my "Car Spotters Guide" so everybody knows what a '47 Hudson will look like.

Attached Files:

3. skidsteer

skidsteer

Thanks. KING, PM me, I will give you directions to a NE Pa yard that has lots of rusting 40's and 50's hulks, you should be able to find something that will work.

4. KING

KING
    from SE PA

Thanks for all the comments. I can't seem to find any pictures of custom 47' Hudson's anywhere. I thought about the limo route so it is still possible. If anybody has a nice side view of a 47' Hudson that would help out a lot. The car was originally bought for family outings going to the drag strip and car shows. I was figuring it would take at least a good 3 to 4 years to built it the way I want it. If anybody has or knows of any donor cars or parts that are cheap within driving range I could use. Please let me know.
    Thanks again for your input!
    Brian

5. Sauli

Sauli

No You shouldn´t...By the time You´d be finished w/a such undertaking, the 2-3-oldest -ones would probably no longer be caught dead going anywhere w/ "maw and paw" anyway...Plus You would´ve missed seeing them grow up from all that panel-beating...Seriously, that sounds like a pile of work considering the benefit to be had. If all of Youse seriously need to go somewhere in a fair-weather car all at the same time, buy a vintage Caddy limo. Those generally seem to go for less than similar model-year coupes and convertibles.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  6. Gaters

Gaters

This one killed me!!

7. poorboy

poorboy

8. DELTUFFO

DELTUFFO
    from Quincy

Do it, man.

But make it strong, brother, a new Mustang is approaching 4,000 pounds.

Tom

9. SLACKERCCBUZZ

SLACKERCCBUZZ
    from CHICAGO

I say go for it!! A long term project meens many long quiet nites in the garage!!

10. why not make it to a wagon!!!

11. KING

KING
    from SE PA

I've thought about that too! :D

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

X2. That could all be done without doing anything to the frame. If you can't find longer doors, make the existing doors longer. It would take about a week per door. Eliminate the trunk, move the back window all the way make it like a station wagon, and put a rack on top. It would look more like a station wagon than a limo. As far as the time spent? I have no doubt that some of those kids will get involved in the project eventually, and five years from now all of them will be old enough to appreciate it and you can sit in back and let one of them drive!

13. It's your car, do as you want! True old school customizers didn't care what others thought about what they were building. If everybody built cars the way most people wanted them then there would be millions and millions of red 32 & 34 fords out there all with smallblock Chevys. Why be like everyone else, if you want it stretched and have the ability then do it. Customs and hotrods are about being different NOT about being like the other guy. Congrats on the new kid! Now get to work and build something!!

14. I wouldn't, but it might turn out good. Here's a Paintchop. Excuse the primer.

Attached Files:

15. brewsir

brewsir

There'sa guy in our town that rolls about a 48 caddy limo with a buick 455 for power...I like the big cars! I say if you can do it safely (longer frame needs more strength of course) then go for it!

16. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

So true. Just do it the way you have in your mind.

Personnally I like the long door/wagon concept and this could shorten the build time significantly. But then again you might have plans that include going down to the frame... Just decide what route and do it.

Then it will be truly yours. Whats ugly to one is beautiful to another

Grats' on the new future HAMB member:D

Hudson comments had me rolling:D:D:D

Mike

www.Customikes.com

17. zzford

zzford

Maybe you sould teach your kids to smoke. It would stunt their growth, eliminating the need to mess with your car.

18. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Do it...it would look cool.

[​IMG]

19. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

The first picture is of a teal green '47 Hudson called "Hudzilla". This picture was shot at the Pacific Coast Memories car club "Hudson's Grill Restaurant" in Santa Maria, California back in 1989.
    The '40 Hudson was for sale at the VW dealer in Reno, NV back in the early 90's.
    The last picture is of Lucile Ball's '40 Caddy Limo in Truckee, Ca. and I added it because I think your Hudson could look this cool with a little stretch.
    MAN!!! It's hard to find a kustomized '47 or earlier Hudson!

Attached Files:

20. This one's been on Craigslist. It looks good to me in the pictures; I wouldn't mind seeing it in person.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

21. KING

KING
    from SE PA

Thanks for the picture! I'm goind to try and draw one and see what it will look like.
    Thanks again, Brian

22. daddio

daddio

I have a set of 59 Cad limo jump seats that fold out or the back of the front seat.They take up about 18" if I remember correctly. $100

23. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

24. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

by a minivan bigger and much cooler