Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I stretch my Hudson?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING, Feb 27, 2009.

1. KING

KING
    from SE PA

I have a little dilemma. I thought I had bought a car that was big enough for the hole family. To our surprise my wife in pregnant with our fifth child :D. YES! This will be our last!

My 47' Hudson that is huge now only seats six people. I've been tossing around the idea of stretching my car three or four feet and put two bucket seats in the middle. That way I could seat three in the back, two in the middle and two up front. What I'm thinking is cut the car in half right between the front and rear doors. The rear doors are suicide doors. So if I cut it right down the center beam I'll have the latches for the front and rear doors where they need to be. The middle seat will have to enter in the rear doors to get to there seats. Just a crazy idea I have!

Let me know what you think. Any body ever stretch a BIG four door car before? I know it will be a lot of work but I think it will be worth it to take the hole family out.
    Thanks Brian

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

5 kids?-i say you've done enough stretching the hudson.

3. KING

KING
    from SE PA

I have 7 total! Two with the X-wife! Kids are great!
    Thanks Brian

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

5. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

wear a condom and that will stop happening..

6. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

No need to go that far. I had a "63 Caddy Fleetwood formal limo that had jump seats folding out of the back of the front seat. This car would seat 8.

7. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Sounds like you need one of these

[​IMG]

8. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

if u want them i have a whole'middle' ,roof and 4 doors 2 play with,free 2 any man who wants 2 haul his kids!! pick the stuff up when u come up ta' lorring 4 the ETCA speed runs the first of august

9. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

10. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

After 7 kids..I think I'd get my "Hudson" snipped..:eek::)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  11. rick finch

rick finch

Saw that one coming from 4 miles away!( shame on you ddoc!):rolleyes:

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I hear your pain.
    I'd work on the birth control first, and figure out the final count on seats until that logistical puzzle is solved.;)

13. KING

KING
    from SE PA

She is getting fixed! So I got that problem solved!

14. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

All bull aside congrats on the new chitlin. I was looking at some pics and thought that "mabe" two rear facing jumpseats might just fit. Kinda like opera seats or the ones in the small x-cab trucks. You may have to modify the front seat to mount them but a hell-a-lot easer than cutting your car in half. also an early burb or panel might be a good choice.

Attached Files:

15. Time for a bigger vehicle, is all. Get a Suburban that seats 9 and trailer the Hudson behind it - because it will look like shit stretched out. Take a good straight on side photo of it and you can photocopy that and cut and paste and see for yourself.

On the other hand if you get a station wagon of some sort with a third seat, you should be able to seat 8 or 9 in one of those without a stretch.

16. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

get a sitter for the youngest 2 or 4..............

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My smart-ass remark aside, your sense of humor tells me that you are a wonderful father, and the fact that you are going to ride them around in that Hudson seals that in gold.; I say stretch the Hudson. Any compromise would be...........
    a compromise

18. crapshoot

crapshoot

sell the hudson a get a 55-57 chevy 9 pasenger wagon,

19. KING

KING
    from SE PA

The kids come first! My six year old is right there by my side the hole time I've been stripping the car down. My Hudson has been for sale a few time with no takers and the other thing is the car use to be long to my wifes great grand fathers. I have the car down to a bare shell now and I'm getting ready to start the chassis and do the body work. With the mods I have in mind I think the car will look good when done.
    Thanks Brian

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

step one: sell the hudson
    step two: buy a coupe and a minivan
    step three: enjoy

:D

seriously, i'd go with the 'burban idea. gonna cost a lil more for fuel, but then again, with as many offspring as you got you're used to things bein spendy

21. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

When are you going to have time to work on the car?I have one child and run out of time in the day.But even if you can pull it off I say no buy something else.My 2 cents

22. Years ago, at a Hudson club meet, I saw a factory built '47 Hudson stretch (4 doors) airport taxi. Looked like a huge whale.
    I'll go along with the vintage Suburban or 9 pass wagon rather than stretching the sedan.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  23. That would be a hell of a project fer sure. They surely made Hudson limos didn't they? If you could find a donor car couldn't you just cut a section out of it and stick it in there? Maybe use a long wheel base pickup for a frame? Geeeze, one thing about it, if she's just now preggers you have a while to plan all of this.

24. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

If your dead set on stretching, don't go overboard. A foot or so will give quite a bit more room. Enough for two jump seats to sit facing each other, one on each side. More like a Formal limo than a super stretch.

Congrats on the new young'en.

25. Squablow

Squablow

60's vans are making a comeback, you could go that route too.

I don't know on the stretched Hudson, but if you're really serious about it, I wouldn't add a long center section between the doors, too limo-y looking for me. I'd get a set of 2 door sedan doors, cut the car in the center of the front door opening, and stretch the front door opening out to the length of the 2 door sedan doors. You'll probably gain at least 8 inches, maybe more, and it'll look more natural that way. If you're good with wood you could make it a station wagon too.

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

step four: get snipped.

27. skidsteer

skidsteer

I'm all for it, but I need pictures of your car please. If the body shape is close to a '50-ish Lincoln, I know where there's one in a NE Pa scrapyard real cheap, and begging to be a donor car.

28. what can I say? lol

29. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

You know what it's your choice how many kids you have... sounds like you have a great family...

I'd say go for it, that's what customs are all about, chop channel, shorten, lengthen why not...

My idea for a family limo would be J seat in rear then build two ottomans if you will call it that... that would fit in the trunk... but could be taken out to fill the back area to make bed for kids during travel...maybe hollow one out and fiberglass inside for cooler...

It would be something you and the family could enjoy....

GO FOR IT!!!