Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my '40?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toolz1175, Nov 5, 2011.

1. brad2v

brad2v

Couldn't have said it better myself.

2. Ask him WHY he wants THAT car so badly when he could have others for less money.

My father had a close friend with a nice late '50s o/t car that he had bought new. My father admired it, helped work on it, drove it, and talked about it for 30+ years. The old guy promised it to my father when he was too old to drive. A few years ago the old guy had a massive stroke. His niece flew in from out of town, packed up the old guy and sold everything. The car went on Kijiji for not much money, she just wanted it gone. My father tracked down the new buyer... who refused to sell him the car. My father didn't want a car like that car, he wanted that car, for good reason.

3. orange40

orange40

It took me 35 years to find my 40, had to pay out $7500 in '90 by the time it was landed in Australia. There is no way I would part company with it now. And mine was not as complete or in as good of condition yours seems to be. Keep it, and do your thing on it.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Just throw out a ridiculous number and see if he bites or comes back with a close offer.

What are your plans for the car? If they're not real specific that would help in using the money for one that is already done.

5. b-bob

b-bob

Agreed! I have finally aquired a 39 Deluxe coupe too, same story, i have had to sell a lot of nice cars in my life to solve family problems and this
    time i am going to keep the car.....

6. Keep Her.....any updates on any work done..? thx gump

7. Hey Bob....Still have my 40 thats being worked on as we speak....Keepin this coupe for sure.

Murph:cool:

8. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Only car left on my "bucket list" is a '40 Deluxe coupe. I'd keep it. The cousin can go find another one. They are expensive and you got yours for a great price for a reason!

10. Rob68

Rob68

11. swissmike

swissmike

I would assume this thing has played itself out. It's been like a year and a half...

12. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Selling a car in this economy is shooting yourself in the foot no matter what. You wont get anything near what it's worth and will regret it for the rest of your life so keep it.

13. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

Started this thread a year and a half ago, but so you know, I kept it. I never say never, but it would take a small fortune (far more than it's worth) to get it out of my hands. Besides, I promised the 80+ year old former owner that I would give him a ride before he leaves this earth. I need to get busy...

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

I realize this is an old thread and it's probably a moot point now but did you shop around and find a good running one then tell him to buy that one for you and he can have yours.

15. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

keep it I don't think you will find a deal like that again. sound like a keeper

16. George G

George G

Got a 39 deluxe for him if he wants

17. 35desoto

35desoto

Congratulations _ I think most people here will be rapt to hear this news plus the added bonus of keeping your word to the previous owner is an honourable pursuit. Its the continuation of a great journey making your own history with the car you really want