Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my '40?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toolz1175, Nov 5, 2011.

1. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

I've wanted a '40 Ford coupe for about 30 years, finally found one on Memorial day and bought it. I've had lots of cars, but could never justify the expense of a '40, even though it's probably my favorite car. This is a Deluxe that's been in dry storage for 47 years, and is damn near rust free. Needs interior and the paint is bad of course. Motor is a '49 Merc that's loose but not running yet. I paid $4000 for it, and I know I stole it, and now the seller's cousin is after it. He offered 10k on the first phone call, and I'm pretty sure he'll pay more. Problem is, I absolutely did not buy this car to sell. I would have to get enough to replace it, if that's even possible, considering the condition. What would that figure be? Not to be greedy, but even if I got it for free, I still need enough to get another one, plus some for my efforts to find another I like. I'm thinking 14-15k would do it, but even at that figure, I'm not sure I want to sell. Would I be a fool to turn down a 10k profit, or a fool to let it go?

2. BCR

BCR

If you don't need the money, keep the car. The cousin will have to wait and you always have the ace in the hole if you need it.

3. Keep it or find a replacement one and then sell it to the cousin. I'd still just keep it.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If it took you 30 years to find one to buy, how long do you figure it'll take to find another? In other words, keep it.

5. I don't even have to think about it... KEEP.

6. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

What a problem to have.... As already said, KEEP IT.

7. x2!

8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

You can keep it and then sell it to me LOL

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

I would keep it........... because when the money is gone, so will be the car. You probably wont find another one to replace it anyway.

10. I'd keep it and I'll sell alot of what I buy. I don't think you could replace the one in your avatar for 14-15K. Let the cousin find another one!

11. big creep

big creep

sell it to meeeeeee!!!!!!!! just keep it you'll be sorry you sold it!

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

KEEP IT! Why go through all the hassle. Unless you know of another one right now that you could buy and make money on I would stick with what you have. Congrats on getting your dream car, a 40 is definitely on the bucket list.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Before you make a choice, get it fired up.

14. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

sell it moneys tight and you will find another,they are out there

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

For 4000 bucks they aint.

16. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Keep it man we all are here god knows for how long. Now go and have fun

17. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have had a lot of rough times in my life, including right now, and my 39 Deluxe coupe is still with me. Since 66.

18. Why would you sell one to just buy another ? Really don't understand that one.

19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

If you'd had this car for years I'd say keep it, but frankly you've not had it long enough (IMO) to be invested in it. if you can get 14 or 15 for it as I'd guess you could find another good starter under 10k and still have some money to play with. but in the end, go with your gut.

20. nickk

nickk

keeeeep, like others have said, you've wanted one for so long, you have one, its nice and solid, whatever you get for it probably wont replace it years down the road if you ever find one again that nice, plus the value is just gonna go up, well atleast thats what id like to think. but thier only gonna get harder to find

21. It's a KEEP'R period!!

22. afaulk

afaulk

If he's not YOUR cousin dont worry about what he wants. They're too hard to find in good cond. --- a no brainer

23. bobscogin

bobscogin

Why did you even post the question? Whether or not you should sell it is answered in your own words. See your quote above.

Bob

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a better deal.

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sounds like the guy that sold it to you figured out the real value of the car and is putting the cousin up to the trying to get it back. You said it already You looked for it for along time. Tell the so called cousin Sorry about your damn luck.not for sale.

26. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The cousin should have bought it first.... he didn't, you did, keep the 40....

Yea, it is kind of crass, but chances are, if the roles were reversed, he wouldn't even take your calls. Who says that the cousin deserves the car more than you do? Even that doesn't matter, you said so yourself, you didn't but the car for resale.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Have him buy you a better one to replace the one you got! :D

28. LongT

LongT

Keep it!

Bill

29. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Keep it, tough luck for the cousin.

30. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

If it really meant something for the cousin, he would had got to it before you. If it has a value to him because it was in the family, tell him you need to find another, tell him what the price of your replacement car is and see what happens. What you paid for has nothing to do with what he pays for it. Sounds like sour grapes to me.