Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I Purchase My Friend's 56 Plymouth Volare?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Catfsm, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Catfsm

Catfsm
    from Oregon

I am not really a hot rod person. I have a conservative car: 1988 Toyota Camry Sedan!

I am a 62 year old woman who is very full of life and NOT your typical middle aged person at all!

I love old cars, and my friend, who is an 85 year old woman, offered me the job of selling her old car.

It is a 1956 Plymouth Volare. It has had one owner (my friend), and it has only 76 thousand miles on it. She said the engine was rebuilt a few years ago. It is an 8 Cylinder.

It has sat a while, and her son had the battery charged and it starts up now beautifully. The tires and lights and so on all work nicely.

She says: 500 dollars and will give me 10 percent if I sell it, but I think maybe I should buy it myself.

What do YOU think? I thought I would get the ideas from car lovers about it.

What should I look for in the car that would make it bad? What would make it a good deal? How much is it worth, once I wash and wax it and clean up the inside? I have been driving my Toyota for years: Is this boat going to be difficult to drive for me? Any other thoughts?

I could buy it for maybe 400, and I wonder if I can get quite a bit more for it on reselling.

2. F&J

F&J

It can't be a 56 Volare. Volare came out in the 1970s, maybe 1976, I think.

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Buy it. It is most likely a Savoy. You can't go wrong for the price in the condition you described. Drive it a little bit and if you don't enjoy it, sell it and easily double your money.

4. screwball

screwball

If its a Volare NO If its a 1956 Plymouth for 500 for sure.

Register now to get rid of these ads!