Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I Paint this 36 Flat Black First or Get Red Wheels :p

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, Sep 19, 2006.

1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

I got this for my wifes birthday. She has wanted a 36 for a long time. It is a real stocker restored in 1979. The body is really decent, the paint is showing its age and was a garage job not real quality. Still has the flathead 2k since rebuild. Has mechanical brakes :(:rolleyes: still. Car is about as stock as possible.

The plans she has for it are to lose the skirts get a "hot rod" stance The pics make it look like it is a nice taildragger, but the back tires are in a hole and it actually has a positive rake on level ground so the skirts don't really work. She wants to make this a dependable, comfortable touring hotrod so A/C and a early small block are in the works. She wants a 4 speed and maybe a quickchange in the rear. She wants the interior updated to look circa mid-1950's tuck and roll. Car is to be black with a slight red candy tint. She is still not sure on wheels, probably stock or I have a set of artillary rims. For the time being we have been cruising it locally. The brakes are okay, but I want to change them over the winter. It might get the small block over the winter or else next year. We need some bigger tires in the back to help with the gear ratio of the rear as the flatty got some high RPM's at speed.

Attached Files:

2. Turkey Rollup

Turkey Rollup

Great looking car!! I like it the way it is, but every car looks better black. If you're interested in selling those skirts, I'd be very interested in taking them off your hands.

3. I don't know of anything that you could do to improve that car,,,,maybe loose the skirts,,,,,and remember,,,,It can only be a old left alone car once!HRP

4. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

man blackwall tires and juice brakes, maybe even a drop axle is all you need. or enjoy as is. just my 2 cents....

5. synthsis

synthsis

DO NOT WRECK THAT CAR WITH SOME RATTLE CAN FLAT BLACK.

thank you.

6. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Beautiful car!! I'd leave the stock rims, I think they look great. Just adding personal touches and reliability seems to be it. That car is killer!

7. young buck

young buck

i like the color it is now....and the flat head....
    put a t-5 in it
    juice brakes
    drop it down with an axel and mono leaf
    ....i wouldn't change something that is o so right!!!

i love it

8. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

THE FLAT BLACK AND RED WHEELS WAS A JOKE!!:rolleyes: The car will get shiny paint. Sorry for the confusion

9. Elrod

Elrod

seriuosly killer looking car. I kinda like the green... Looks good kind of a flat green color.

10. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Beautiful car ... one of my favorite models. But -- wherever you "lose" the skirts, put the externally-mounted spare in the same place. IMHO, if you're building a reliable, comfortable SBC-powered cruiser, then the planned QC is unnecessary...but if it's your car, you get to do whatever you want.

11. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

gosh dang, that thing is absolutely PERFECT as is, skirts and color and wheels and all. Love it! Juice brakes is about all I would reccomend :confused: Yeah, maybe ditch the spare for cleaner lines, but nothing beats the beuty of a slightly modified stocker, you just don't get to appreciate those often enough

12. Primo

Primo

Did you read his post I don't think he was being serious about flat black.
    Primo

Wow 6 posts since I started typing this

13. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

I hear you, but it is my wife's car. She has born and raised in a car family and has a design degree have faith she will not wreck this car. Short of the color change, she wants to do nothing that cannot be undone. The small block is going in because we won't have to cut the firewall. Trust me the girl has taste and has huge respect for history.

14. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Whatta a guy!!!

Still looks good from here. Il ike the green...blak is almost too common

A "hot rod" stance...you mean a street rod stance" ??

Sounds like a street rod to me.

Then why would you want to take the skirts off of it...with an interior like that, skirts and whitewalls are a must. THAT sez mid-50's on a '36.
    Artillery rims do not go with mid-50's...hubcaps do and so do whitewalls.

Other than those few items, mixing and mis-matching eras...that's a nice looking '36...and I don't get into Fords that much...and as someone else said: "it's your car, do with it what you will."

R-

16. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

PUT IN A HIGH SPEED GEAR SET, JUICE BRAKES, REMOVE THE SPARE TIRE, (save it though), AND LOWER THE REAR AND KEEP THE TAIL DRAGGER LOOK.

LEAVE THE PAINT AND JUST MAKE IT A DRIVABLE & RELIABLE CAR.

DONT FUCKIT UP WITH A CHEVY & ALL THE STREET ROD CRAP, THATS A REAL NICE SURVIVOR THAT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME ONCE YOU TAKE IT APART.

YOU HAVE A VERY NICE PIECE OF AMERICAN HISTOR, DONT WASTE IT !!

17. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Drop it and roll it. You jump in and start changing everything in one fell swoop, she won't get a chance to change her mind. Let me tell you, if she's like my wife she WILL change her mind :)

18. What a great birthday present! I lust after one of them myself. Funny, I bought my wife a '56 Chev for her birhday, we have some lucky ladies.:)

19. 53burb

53burb

Keep it the color that it is. Everytime I see a '36, it is always black! Be different and leave the color that it is. KNUX!

20. beautiful car... i wouldn't change anything about the exterior.. love the flatty but can understand why you'd want to go SBC..

40 juicers are an easy swap on that car.. Get rid of the mechanicals..

21. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Top Ten Things To Do To Your Coupe

1: Flat black paint
    2: Flamethrowers
    3: Red wheels
    4: Chinese Lancer hubcaps
    5: Mexican blanket
    6: Fuzzy dice
    7: Coop stickers
    8: Way, way-overdone tattoos
    9: His 'n hers "hot rod rebel" costumes, with attitudes to match
    10: Your choice: GM Target crate engine; or a nailhead in bad need of a rebuild

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

22. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Stance something like this...as far as streetrod or not... Whatever...there are people on this board that have IFS under there 35-40 fords and get mad props and general ass licking other get beat up. This is a bone stock car with skirt...if that is a custom in your eye and spot on then I will be ruining this car. To me, "Fender skirts does not a custom make":rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
  23. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

'

Dave we are already ahead of the curve on this we got half that stuff already...just need to install it.:D :p

24. Nice car.

Love the color...I would leave it. You wont have to worry about scratches and dings if it has them already :) Plus its different.

SB....ford or chevy...Gawd I hope not another Chevy swap. :eek:

I like the tail dragger look, but....if you hot rod it, put in a dropped axle, loose the skirts, drop in a quick change and go, loose the spare and keep it though.

A thought on the quick change; will that give you the gearing you need for the freeway and the strength from a high torque SB motor?

Street Rod...?...? NO! Mustang 2 ??? Ack....NO!

25. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

For sure...we went to go look at Mike Meadow's 3 window, but it was out of our price range. Good talking with you in H2O Town...

26. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Your right about the skirts. A new paint job doesn't make a car a 'kustom', either-it's all in the bodywork. As far as your running gear, I say go with what makes you feel comfortable and safe.
    My .02...

27. I would agree with most of the "Traditional" folks in this thread.

I guess basically, what does it matter what we think, it your car right!? :eek:

Good luck !

28. burger

burger

juice brakes; reverse rake; roll it.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

oh man that car looks sweet.

if I wanted a hot rod 36 I'd have bought a hot rod 36 or a project car to build into one. I'd never take a nice stocker and change everything.

but that's just me....

30. Jason455

Jason455

Very nice! My wife wants one of those new chrysler 300 jobbys. I`m jealous!