Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I NOT drive a Model A Daily???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

What was this about again. I forgot :)

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I just disassembled a 29 roadster body completely, like every last rivet drilled out. There was a lot of "wow that is all that holds that?" Thoughts. If you get t-boned in a stock A It would really be like being inside of a beer can, I Think I would rather be on a motorcycle, you have roughly the same protection but they won't have to cut you out of the wreckage. But it is what it is you take risks every time you leave the house. That being said I plan on completely restructuring the body for safety and less rattles and keep payin my life insurance.

3. Falfa55

Falfa55

Drive it daily.How the hell do people think we got here?..There was a time cars had no seat belts no air bags no carseats for kids we all survived. Drive it and love it

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

When my daily driver puked I drive my coupe to work, 30 miles a day for 3 months.

Nothing wrong with driving old cars.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

It's a CAR ! Cars were meant to be DRIVEN ! The only thing I'd do with an "A" would be going to juice brakes...... But then, defensive driving means one can go with the mechanicals as well.

Enjoy your Model A !!!!!! 4TTRUK

6. lilbdfrd

lilbdfrd

F____ it I drive my 35 plymouth with a 460 everyday or whenever i can weather permit. Its got a 460 in it, if i get in a front crash its guna get shoved straight in my pee hole. I got two kids and life insurance. My neighbor is 67 and drives a stock 30 chevy 3 window coupe every chance he gets. You only live once look out for the other driver. And show your middle finger to who ever pulls out in front of you.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

ps; Your neighbor suffers from car envy.....You have a Model A,...he does not........

4TTRUK

8. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Now that is funny. Oh if you read this link incorrectly........ 365daysofa.com/ I was thinking, "I know people that lay on their sofa year 'round never accomplishing a thing"....wait a minute... 365days...of....a, not 365day..sofa. Sorry.

9. Drive it, maintain, repeat until you are too frail to drive it. Tell your buddy to both worry and puff less. Our American spirt is that of individuality and adventure, not that of herded sheep driving a friggin safe Prius!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe not. People have gotten shot for that lately.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Been my mantra for going on 4 decades now...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats gotta be the funniest thing on the HAMB this week, and its only Monday...

13. Your neighbor needs to worry less.

Fuck gettting a souless appliance POS.

14. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Hell Drive it! I drive the hell out of mine, and just Friday drove it 15-20miles in pouring rain, hand crank wiper,on slicks with a spool....is that normal nope but fuck em....rotation goes to the left brother hope its some KB ;)

15. khead47

khead47

Wow Dudes- lighten up!

16. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

anarchy rules....................drive that A,,,,,, you might die tomorrow & somebody else will be driving it

17. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

That's my story, and I stick to it!

18. My father was murdered riding his Harley to work at 5:30AM on 11/4/11, by a doper who was driving his loaner pickup at high speed with his eyes closed; he crossed the line and hit Dad head-on. Dad was piloting his bike EXACTLY as he should have. No matter what he was driving, short of a tandem-axled semi or dump truck, Dad didn't stand a chance.

No, your Model A is not as "safe" as a car built in this era of crisis construction, but it's definitely cooler, and it requires you to pay attention.

Tell your doper/guzzler neighbor that a plural to major number of traffic fatalities may be attributed to intoxicated drivers; and that we'd improve road safety by permanently ridding our road of drunks, dopers, and those not interested in driving while behind the wheel.

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

39 years old, smoking weed and drinking beer, kind of clouds the old decision making gears in the head. Drive the car, be careful, stop drinking, smoking weed and everything will be OK.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I drove a stock (mech brakes and all) Model A back and forth from Madison Park in Seattle to Mountlake Terrace (about 25 mi round trip) for over six months. Didn't take the freeway, but mostly arterials. I don't smoke weed (or anything else) so I cannot comment of the efficacy of your reflexes after indulging in a hit or four, but as to the safety of the car itself - as long as you're operating within the limits of the automobile's capabilities and you practice defensive driving techniques, the car will not be unsafe. I think your neighbor is an old woman...and is just jealous he doesn't have a cool ride of his own.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Do you want to live your life YOUR way? Or your neighbor's way?

22. RichG

RichG

Some of you seem to have moved right out of hoodlum and right into geezer territory. If I had an "A" I'd drive that thing everyday, hell, I'd forget half the stuff my wife sent me to the store for, just so I'd have to drive back and get it.

23. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

done that

24. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

just saw this thread...im in la puente..you drive by my house almost everyday(off molinar)...i hear you coming down the street and i stop what im doing in the garage to stare...lol sweet car

25. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

In good weather I drive my VW trike damned near every day...with my wife aboard, and I'm in my 60's. When I finish my roadster, I'm going to treat it just the same. I plan on driving the hell out of it as long as weather permits and parking, if not selling, the trike. If your not planning on driving it, why build it?

26. davidh73750

davidh73750

My son will be in Kindergarten in a few years and my goal is to roll up in mild gasser 55 or A-bone of some kind for his 1st day of school

27. Metal Mangler

Metal Mangler
    from Washington

Thank you Donny...

28. straightshooter

straightshooter

If you did the build and feel confident things were done right and that it is safe, which I assume it is otherwise I doubt you'd drive it at all, I don't see why you couldn't drive the wheels off that thing (pun intended)

29. wood470

wood470

In the 60 s I drove a 40 woody with 50 s driveline from Whittier to Long Beach State every day down the 605 at 65 to 80 mph every day for 4 years plus a vacation every summer to Oregon or Montana and the front end never fell off. go for it. Don't use crap parts and do your maintanance.

30. conormulroney

conormulroney

The thing I like about driving an old car as a daily is that I get to drive the back roads and two lanes. All I have is a '54 Ford and a '65 Mini. Windy back road or the highway...........? I love driving to work, everyday!