Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should I knock on the door?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack68gts, May 15, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also doesn’t hurt to show up in something old

2. I would try the angle you like old cars, not that you want to buy it, and feel the vibe from there.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Or Dahmer. This could be a good lure to attract Hot Rodders. Sort of like the ginger bread house for grown ups.

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If you want anything in life you have to do two things.
    1. Work for it.
    2. Ask for it.
    It's like the cute girl in school that never gets asked to the dance.....why? Because the boys are intimidated and they think they have no chance.
    It ends up rhat nobody she really liked.....asked.
    Don't be a loser....ask.
    If you do ask be ready. This is where the work for it comes to play.
    Be yourself....no bullshit.

Deuces likes this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

I say go for it, I definitely agree with Tim above, tell the guy you like hot rods and would love to hear the story of the car (don't just ask if it's for sale).

Also, don't even bother to ask if it's for sale or the asking price if you don't have enough money to make a reasonable offer to buy it. It's pointless to ask if you don't have any cash available anyway.

partsdawg likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I've bought cars over the years that it took over a hour before we even got to talking about the car.
    I mention the car to start with but quickly move to another subject.Most of the time they were at farms so we would shoot the breeze for awhile talking farming or farm animals.
    After how ever long it took finally the farmer....having sized my character up by conversation...would invariably say something to the effect of "I suppose you are curious about the car?" and yay or nay it.
    If nay I thanked him for the chat and kept his name and address in a notebook so I could send a card every Christmas.
    If yay I paid...I never stopped unless I was prepared to buy...and was hauling it home ASAP

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've knocked on lots of doors looking for old cars. I have a standard phrase I use. "Hi, I notice you have a car you aren't using, I wonder if you would like to sell it?" . This never seems to offend anyone. Most of the time the answer is no. So I thank them and back off. Once in a while they are interested in selling. Best answer I ever got, "I don't know, it's my dad's car but I know mom has been after him to get rid of it". When you hear that you can write your own ticket lol.

8. scotts52

scotts52

Don't ever start by asking if the car is for sale. Most likely they've been asked many, many times. Rather stop and ask what year and make it is. Tell them you've been driving by and admiring it for a long time and curiosity finally got the best of you. Then listen to the story, be patient.

You might end by saying "ImI sure you're not willing to sell it but if you ever decide to I'd be interested". Then see what they say. Lastly, offer to buy a new and better car cover.
    That small investment might pay off in spades.

Jack68gts and Benny's Ford like this.
  9. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

That’s how I got my truck. Kept an eye on it for a couple of years and then stopped and knocked. Had to call their son and he was interested in selling and the rest is history. Stop by and try! Worst thing they can say is no.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Costs zero to ask. Costs you the hotrod if someone else asks and the answer is yes. Easy peasy.

Jack68gts and Clay Belt like this.
  11. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Maybe you will end up buried in the basement like the last 2 guys ;)

Jack68gts and Clay Belt like this.
  12. 46stude

46stude

Like's already been suggested: I'd stop and ask "what's the story" on the car, not "is the car for sale?". When the ol' coot hollers "it ain't fer sale!!" respond with "oh, I wasn't trying to buy it. I'm a car guy & I was curious about the car's story".

Jack68gts and Irish Mike like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just leave it and it will sink into the ground and it will rust from the bottom up or the county will tell him he has 48 hours to get rid of it.
    Don't be a wussy . just knock no the door and ask.

Irish Mike likes this.
  14. You can ask about the car and you be surprised when they answer "That old piece of junk? Why would anyone want that? It hasn't run in years!" It happened to me when I was a lad, a sad 64 Chevy with flat tyres and no battery. I said I can give you $100 for it, they couldn't believe their luck, I went home and came back with a gas can, battery, and some flat tyre goop, got it running and rolling in about half an hour, and the jaw-dropped look I got out the window while I backed it out was priceless!

Clay Belt likes this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

Looks to be 33=34 wishbones and as mentioned, later frame, not A 20180515_104213.jpg 20180515_104213 (1).jpg

48fordnut and lucky ink like this.
  16. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

If it’s cool and you don’t the odds are the guy who does will pute his own mark on it sort of speak (most likely ruin).. :D.. so...

Usually when doing a cold knock on a car I start the conversation with apologizing for interupting their day or being a hassle.. I’ve never been run off..

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    ramblin dan and Squablow like this.
  17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

It's a 33-34 Ford. Knock on that door!

18. F&J

F&J

Borrow a hot rod and THEN go knock. I am serious.

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  19. WTF really

WTF really

Just tell me where it's at and I'll stop by for ya.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A guy told me a story. A kid got some cash from the bank. His dad got a trailer and headed down the road 150 miles away. They arrived in a town and the kid said we don`t even know where he lives. The dad drives to the tire store. He asks where this certain car is. They said he won`t sell. So he asks again and they tell him where it is. They drive to the farm. Before they get to the door. The old man says it`s not forsale from inside the house. The dad says they brought cash and were from aways away. He would never see the car again. The old man thinks for a bit and said follow me. They go to the barn and said there it is. $5000. take it or leave it. This was in about 1980. It had a big block in it with about 5000 miles. Was bought new and was dragged raced. The kid bought it. When they got home they realized it had an aluminum block. They did an ameture restoration on it. He showed it a little,(I saw it). Was sold($25000 in about 86) to put a hefty down payment on a farm. Today the farm is worth over a million.

Clay Belt likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You never know until you knock! Back when I was into VW Bugs, there was a blue vert with a white top and interior I watched slowly rot under a tree. It sat several years, one day I had my tax refund money in my pocket I decided to stop and ask about it. Went up on the porch and knocked, lady barely opened the door. Before I could complete my sentence, she said it ain't for sale and slammed the door. It sat there a couple more years, then they pushed it off in the bushes behind the house. It's still there, with bushes growing through what's left of the white top. Idiots. Could have gotten good money for it but instead let it rot.

Another one was a Super Beetle that everyone said couldn't be bought. Knocked on the door and asked, guy made a price well less than it was worth, and he got some dead President's and I got the car!

You never know until you knock!

22. Once on the Indian reservation the knock to inquire about the 32 2 dr sedan got an answer with a .45 pressed against my forehead. Awkward first few minutes, had to throw out my not so tighty whiteys after that, but once calmed nice guy. Still wasnt for sale, but, no isn't always "the worst that can happen".

With that said, I'd still knock.

23. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Tim has the right idea. It may not work the first time so don't burn any bridges.
    Pete

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, 33 frame with the large center hole between the shock mount holes.
    Looks to be a stock height 5/w Coupe without a floor as the rockers are sitting on the ground. Super arched front spring and long ass tube shocks(mid 60's?). Possibly a channeled body at one time and the body mounts gave out.
    My next thoughts are thinking about what parts for the car are stashed in a shed. Grille, hood, fenders, windshield frame, garnish moldings? Maybe an old hopped up OHV V8?

Xman likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You've nothing to lose and everything to gain. A polite introduction might be in order

Sent from my SM-G950F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt and Irish Mike like this.
  26. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

pretend that you are meeting your girlfriend's parents for the first time.... smile, be polite, and be sincere.

27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It won't hurt to drive up with a big titted blond or brunette, in Dazzy Dukes and a halter top........................................

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

"It was once a famous show car....."

30. Xman

Xman

He who hesitates is lost!