Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Should I buy Woodward Fab Tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smith541, Mar 29, 2016.

1. smith541

smith541

I’m getting into the fabrication business, and I’m looking to set up my garage. I was thinking of buying my tools from one manufacturer to make it easier. A friend suggested that I go in for Woodward Fab. I also checked their Ebay Store. The company has got some decent reviews. Has anyone used any Woodward Fab tools? Would you recommend that I buy their products?:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have their brake roller combo tool, I would not recommend their tools. I had to cut the brake apart so I could ajust the leaf for a radius. The welds are just bondo covered to make them look good. Poorly made Chinese stuff. MO

3. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

x-2, some of their tools would be ok for hobbyist, but I would not attempt to use them in a commercial application.

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

5. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Stay away. If you want serious metal working tools to make a living with, it will mean a serious investment.
    I have gotten by with lesser tools mainly because I'm only doing hobby work.
    Look here.
    http://www.baileigh.com/

RICH B likes this.
  7. aaggie

aaggie

Most of their stuff looks like the same junk from Harbor Freight. If I were starting over or going professional I would contact Bailegh(?) on here and talk to them. They are Alliance members and offer a discount. You will never regret buying quality.

8. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

You might look into daggertools.com and maybe ustool.com as well. They are both located in the Detroit area.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Search here or online for reviews before you buy any new metal working equipment. Though Baleigh is better than most, some of their line is from off shore so it depends on what particular machine you buy and what level of product warranty comes with it.
    WHERE ARE BAILEIGH INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS MADE?
    Each product page states where that specific model is made. We make products in manufacturing plants all over the world. We currently have factories in the USA, Portugal, Italy, Poland, England, Germany, China, and Taiwan.

If you're truly going to set up a commercial shop, you need industrial grade for most machines. Your best bet is to buy solid, good condition, used, USA made equipment from Pexto, Whitney, Chicago, etc.

blackout78666 and falcongeorge like this.
  10. We use the brake at work, its probably best for a home garage, but would not suggest using for a business. the table leaf broke at the hinge pin one day while i was using-not a great feeling when that slips from your hands from the weight, then watching as it swings down toward your feet. They were pretty quick to send out replacement parts though

11. I bought from Baileigh Industrial, I am happy with my purchase.HRP

Baileigh

12. bobby831

bobby831

What type of machine are you looking for? I bought a manual tube and pipe bender from Woodward Fab (the WFB2). And I kinda like it. It bends both round and square tubing up to 2’. It’s made from steel, so it has been able to take a lot of abuse. The ratcheting system is easy to use, and does not require a lot of effort. So you don’t feel tired very quickly. Other Woodward Fab tools include an optional stand, but I don’t think that is included. The price is cheap, compared to other brands. Making motorcycle frames and car chassis has become easier due to the machine.

13. What are you using currently?

14. I was going to suggest baileigh ^^^ as well, Woodward tools are for hobbyists. They are not made for everyday fab use.

15. I bought some Woodward Fab stuff when I opened my shop, within a couple of years, all had been replaced due to not being up to snuff for a 50 hours a week, 4 man shop.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're truly going to set up a commercial shop, you need industrial grade for most machines. Your best bet is to buy solid, good condition, used, USA made equipment from Pexto, Whitney, Chicago, etc.[/QUOTE]

Great answer right there. I wouldn't pass up asking at hvac shops if they have any surplus equipment they are planning on selling too. Lots of time that manual piece of equipment that has become obsolete for them is just what you are looking for when they upgrade. I saw a brake that was too big and way too heavy for anything I wanted the other day as I think it may handle 10 ft pieces sitting outside some guys shop when I drove by and thought dang that's one nice piece of equipment to be sitting outside in the weather. A local long time as in 70 years machine shop is selling off a lot of their old equipment a piece at a time it seems and while it is all way too big for a home shop they have some interesting stuff that will probably last another hundred years.
    Plus remember if a prospective customer walks into your shop and sees primarily "hobby shop" equipment he is going to assume you have a hobby shop rather than a pro shop.

17. CLM

CLM

I've got a Woodward fab bead roller (modified), throat less shear and English wheel. They are better than harbor freight, thicker metal, more adjustments, grease zerks. But they are absolutely hobbiest equipment, turn out hobbiest results and would not stand up to a production shop.

Here is my head roller. About $250 into it and 50 lbs of steal. But couldn't justify a Mitler brothers if it wasn't helping pay the bills.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459363094.389514.jpg

Granted, I bought their lower line of tools. But their "professional" grade cost as much as the good brands. So you might as well buy the good brands.

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I looked on the Baileigh website and I don't see anything about where the product is made on the product pages.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's under FAQ's;

http://www.baileigh.com/support/faqs/

I haven't seen mostly positive reviews on their stuff. Just that you'd want to research and compare like you would when shopping for anything. You and I have an advantage in that they have So. Ca. and WI showrooms where we could actually see/try the product rather than order from a catalog pic.

20. I am in the same situation. In the next 2 years I am going to set myself up with some shop equipment. I as mentioned , plan on driving to some of these places to actually have a look see and physically look at their products. With decades of experience in buying junk and quality shop tools , I found it is better to step up to the plate and bite the bullet. Only want to do this once.
    Vic

21. jim5823

jim5823

I have a bead roller from Woodward Fab so will use that as an example. The price is cheap, and it is similar in design to harbor freight. One big difference is that the WF roller is heavier. You may have to add some sort of bracing to stiffen the frame. The good thing about WF is that they have a variety of bead rollers to choose from. They even have products from other manufacturers. The price of their power bead rollers ranges from $900 to about $2000 (check the prices, not completely sure.) Their designs are simple, and easy to use. The bead rollers have 18ga capacity. Dies are interchangeable. I think you can also ask them for a stand, but that will cost extra. Overall, it’s a good bet.

22. Who gets into a fabrication business without knowing anything about tools?

JOYFLEA and weps like this.
  23. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

CLM what motor did you use and gear size

24. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

CLM What is the thickest metal you can roll

25. Hi guys, Thank you for mentioning Woodward-Fab.

A little history - Woodward-Fab is a trade mark of Heck Industries, est 1966
    Some of our products are made in our factory in Michigan. We manufacture a large line of plate bevelers, bench model nibblers, a patented line of weld shavers, tube benders, work holding clamps and more. We locally contract some tools. And we import some items from, China, Germany, Spain, Taiwan, Canada, Italy, etc,

We sell not only our own product line but we also represent manufactures such as Edwards, Tennsmith, Ecroclina, Founier, JMT, Scotchman, etc.

We offer no products from the same suppliers to Harbor Freight or Grizzly. We do offer a few items from the same manufactures as Baileigh sources from.

All of our tools carry a minimum of a 1 year warranty.

If you have any questions on any tool or application please call us at 1-800-391-5419

Thank you,
    Phil Heck
    Car Guy and President

www.woodward-fab.com
    www.heckind.net

bobby831 likes this.