Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I buy a car with no title???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

OK, I have a line on a dream car of mine, a 37 Nash. The buyer says it has no title. It's just a shell but it has all the makings of a cool hot rod. No title.

So the car is in Texas and I'm in Iowa. So how can I get this car registered without a title? What kind of problems am I going to run into?

2. brofle1402

brofle1402

if you knew somebody in georgia or another state who uses a bill of sale you could probably get iowa to recognize that. i think la still uses a bill of sale. in tn on motorcycles they give you a custom vehicle title

3. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

Are you going to build it on the frame/chassis of another vehicle, such as S-10? Maybe you can use that title...

4. i have no fear of a car with no title , i have figured out how to get around that in Minnesota. you have to do what works in your state. but i have read on here what others have to go through in their states so your experience may differ. one big problem would be if your state requires an inspection of the VIN number..thank God we don't have that here...yet

5. Hello, Just get a bill of sale, to prove you bought the car, and contact your local DOT man and do a bonded title. I have done this twice now, not really a big deal.DOT will come look at the car , give you paperwork to fill out, send paperwork to DOT. they estimate a value and you go to your insurance man and get a bond. Send this info back to DOT and they issue a suspended title. Once ready to drive, DOT will come inspect the car and release title. That's how it has worked for me here in Iowa.

6. This is a question you should be researching with the Iowa DMV, because no two states handle it the same way. I'm sure they have a website, try there first. Some states it's so easy it barely makes a difference, other states it's a pain in the ass, and some it's damned near impossible. Was it me, in New York, I wouldn't even hesitate, but as posted elsewhere on the forum someone in North Carolina has to do a 500 yard dash over the hurdles with a stick jammed up their ass first.

7. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Check on line with your state department of transportation. more than likely you can get a title with conditions.

I would not let that a title stop you.

8. So, if there is a VIN on the frame or body why not have the
    Seller do a title search & get a new title issued?

I haul cars for guys who buy 'historical' titles from other states
    and apply that to the applicable vehicle.

The danger is, whoever owns the car according to motor vehicle
    records, is the last legal owner of record and the person you
    should be dealing with.

If you keep the VIN as it stands, there is a danger of someone
    making a claim on the vehicle once restored ......

If you end up buying this, I possibly could transport it :D

Jim

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sure ..just dont build it first...than decide to go for a title once your done...get the papers worked out before you sink any more cash into it

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Mmmmm, 37 Nash.

Coupe?

The title issue doesn't scare me, but I know how to deal with it in KY.

Let us know how it turns out.

Rich

12. Master of None

Master of None

32cruzin is right that's what i also did with a truck of mine. It took about a month altogether and only cost me $50 from my insurance company.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The particulars are different from state to state, but here in Michigan, as long as the car still has a VIN tag on it, we can go to the Secretary of State office, and for a fee, get the car retitled. There's a flat fee, plus a small percentage of the ammount paid for the vehicle. A short written explanation is required, telling of how the vehicle was aquired, etc. I've done this, and explained that "I bought the vehicle from an old farmer years ago, and can't contact him now." Before doing all this however, an officer needs to come out, and verify the VIN on the car, and fill out the required info on a printed form that I get from the Secretary of State office. In Michigan, it's form TR-54. They need to be sure the car isn't stolen or has any other legal problems. It's not very difficult or expensive, though the percentage fee could add up if a lot was paid for the vehicle. There is no reason that the present owner couldn't also do this. From hearing some of you guys talk here, I'm aware that we may have it a little easier here in Michigan than in some of the other states. Good luck.

14. 48ford

48ford

If the car is in Texas,The guy that has it now can get a Texas bonded title for it,then he can sell it to you.
    I'm a winter texan(snow turd) and the bonding companys advertise in the papers in south texas.
    Hope this helps you.
    Russ

15. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Pice of skit!

give it to me for free..............

16. golden31

golden31
    from Omaha, NE

I grew up in Iowa and have had no problem with titles, Nebraska on the other hand will run you around a bit but still in the end I have always gotten a title for the rods I have done. Iowa was always really fair to me. I did grow up in a mayberry ass small town and knew everyone so maybe that helped. I wouldn't worry much about it. Killer car for sure.

17. choppershox

choppershox

Go for it. I would contact the PoPo to have them run the serial or Vin number to make sure its not stolen. No title doent scare me, militaristic lezbos do...............

18. henryj429

henryj429

Sorry to tell you, but things are changing in Minnesota. Like you, I've had no trouble in the past - 3 previously untitled cars that I have sucessfully registered - until now. In October, I bought a 37 Ford pickup in Canada. I imported it and the vehicle VIN was verified by the US Customs border guard and recorded on the import documents. I got the owner to fill out the little vehicle history form that the DMV requires then I put in the title application, including the import documents. 2 months later I got a letter requiring the truck to be brought in for a VIN inspection. I then phoned the inspector and told him that the truck is missing the rear axle and motor. He said that he will only inspect a COMPLETE VEHICLE! Further, I would have to put the ORIGINAL motor and axle back in the truck or the inpection might not be vaild. This guy was a real ass on the phone. I went back to the DMV and applied to have my application cancelled. They put in the paperwork and stated that I would know in 2-3 months whether or not I'd get by 85 bucks back. Nice huh? Fortunately, I have a 37 1 1/2 ton that has a title and I'm going to try to use that one.

So.....past history is no guarantee of future sucess!! Do your homework!

19. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

all ive done was go to th s.o.s with the bill of sale .they run the vin to see if its hot .pay them there money and im out done this 2 times ..

20. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

It is against the law to sell a car without a title in the state I live in. As others have said you need to know the current rules where you live.

I like the suggestion someone made that you put the onus back on the seller. I might even offer a little more money if the sell can provide good paperwork.

21. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

jump through the legal hoops first, then start working on it, get bills of sale on all the "parts" talk to your DMV.
    I've got them through here in Wa.
    Alot the really old ones didn't even have numbers.
    and if its been in a field for 30 years there is probably no records on it.
    But do the legal stuff first.

22. metalman

metalman

I have no problem buying a car here in NM as long as it has a VIN. Present one to the state here with the VIN removed and they want to impound it because it "must be stolen" and your guilty till proven innocent which you can't do without the VIN.
    As long as the VIN is there and it doesn't show up in the records as stolen or liened it's a simple bonded title. If I feel like there "might" be a problem I have my title lady check the VIN before I buy it to make sure it's clean. Like someone above said above, do that first. The cost of the bond relates to vehical value, around 10%. You definataly want to buy a bond on a $500 clunker rather then a $50,000 finished hot rod. I usually tell the seller to get a title or drop the price enough to cover the bond, most the time they will.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the car is complete the seller should be able to get a bonded title on it.
    http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm

The good thing in Texas is that it doesn't have to run it just has to be complete.
    A bonded title on the value of a non running 37 Nash that hasn't been worked on yet shouldn't be that high. It would be on what he paid for it not what you were paying him for it.

Otherwise check with your states dmv and see if a notarized bill of sale will suffice for proof of ownership. I would get a notarized bill of sale at any rate even if he got you the bonded title. You would have to drag the seller to the Notary but It's one more point in your favor when you go to title it at home.
    And if you happen to be active military, reserve or NG it looks like you can get the bonded title yourself and not be a resident.

Iowa Bonded title info http://www.iowadot.gov/MVD/ovs/bonded.htm It doesn't look all that hard if you get your ducks all in a row before you apply. That includes the notarized bill of sale. I sure as hell would apply for it as soon as I got the car unless it has to be running. Bonded titles usually go three years before you can convert them to a regular title and it probably will take almost that long to get the car square away if you are like 75% of us.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  24. Swifster

Swifster

The title issue wouldn't worry me if...

1) The original serial number on the body is still there.

2) You get a NOTERIZED bill of sale from the owner.

Everything else can be worked around. If the serial number plate is gone, and you are willing to get a state issued VIN, it's usually not a problem. But as mentioned, I would get the state DMV involved at the begining to minimize your grief.

25. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Go to your dmv and ask them,to find out the real answer.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that, ask the questions before you spend the money and time.

27. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I found this online:

http://www.dmv.org/ia-iowa/bill-of-sale.php

Bill of Sale Basics
    If you are selling your vehicle to a private party, you will need to provide the buyer with a Bill of Sale. A Bill of Sale gives the buyer documentation of the sale while providing the seller with a receipt for the transaction.
    In many cases, the Bill of Sale is needed to complete a vehicle's title transfer. The Bill of Sale can also be used as legal documentation in the event that there is a problem with the purchase.
    You may use the Bill of Sale from the Iowa State County Treasurer's Association, or you may write up your own. Generally, a bill of sale includes the following information:
    • The seller's full name
    • The signature of seller
    • The buyer's full name
    • The date of the sale
    • The purchase price
    • The make of the vehicle
    • The year of the vehicle
    • The vehicle identification number (VIN)

28. pauls fords

pauls fords

Have a 51 shoebox from Cal , no registration no title, it does have a I.D number so I contacted this guy and he did it all, sent a registration and a noterized bill of sale, so registering in NC is now no problem. THE TITLE MAN 585-232-3217 well worth the money instead of dealing with the DMV.

29. oldpaint

oldpaint

The last one I did last summer was a 47 pickup. My deputy registrar told me the state was not just doing titles anymore. I had to buy plates along with the title. I filled out the form answering all the questions and sent three photos. The total was $160, but I have the title.

$85 sounds alittle lite.

30. skullhat

skullhat

what ever you do the best advice is to straighten out the title before the car.....

i dont care if there is a title or not as a rule, but you want a vin, and check it out. in most states only the registered owner can transfer or sell the car. the good old days of selling on an open pink are pretty much gone, at least here in kal

skull