Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I buy a 1963 Olds 88?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomCat 1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I know where their is a 1963 Olds 88 four door. Looks decent,supposed to run good. Not to familiar ---is this going to have a desirable drivetrain? How about speed equipment for this V8. What trans? Thought I'd lower it, change the caps,duals, and just cruise it. Hesitating on the moore door thing, is this 88 cool enough? Thanks for any input.:confused:

2. Kerry67

Kerry67

I had a 63 Dynamic 88 Hardtop (4 door) for a while and I thought it was cool as hell. Wish I had never sold it. I say, if you can get it for a decent price and it is in decent shape, it is worth grabbing because you don't see them too often.

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Three words: Slimjim NO GO. That is what you have in the 63 88. Bad trans according to most people. 394 engine, strong engine.

4. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Was the rearend in these the desirable Olds /pontiac? What did they call this trans?

5. belair

belair

6. BigJim394

BigJim394

Good engine. Trans is weak. The engine uses the final die cast aluminum front engine cover, which looks a lot different from the earlier rocket engine cast iron front engine covers, and uses only one front engine mount, that goes right at the base of the front engine cover and bolts to the cross member. The sidemount hurst olds engine mounts do not fit this engine and the stock single mount can be a problem to adapt (clearance problems) in some rod applications. You could fabricate your own hurst style mounts for this engine. Rearends are strong. Dont count on the drum brakes for a rapid stop compared to modern cars with 4 wheel discs.

Otherwise, the 63 four door is a good solid car. Great on the highway. Nice interior with tons of room for all your friends. Not going to win any drag races, but moves right out. Bad on gas mileage. Depending on where it spent its life, and how much road salt it may have seen, rust can be a problem.

7. BigJim394

BigJim394

Oh yeah, the 63 is not as cool a 4 door, as say a 59. Speed equipment is available, like multi carb intakes, cams, high performance distributors, pistons, finned valve covers, finned valley covers. Some are available new, and some on ebay at swap meets and the HAMB classifieds/Hemmings, etc. As far as I know, no manufacturer made tubular headers for this application (the 63). Header flange kits are available, and you could build your own headers, but the cast manofolds are probably fine for cruising.

8. It's a 4-door. Keep the 2bbl, adapt a dual-coupling hydramatic when the Slim-Jim craps the pan, and cruise with it.