Register now to get rid of these ads!

should be so simple... new starter 1 prong??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PR51, Jan 18, 2011.

1. PR51

PR51

I know I am a new guy but I have put on a few starters before... but this one is different and I need help...
    I just got a new starter for my 51 chevy fleetline and it comes with a built in solenoid... It only has one prong for power instead of 3prongs... so I am sure it grounds itself when attached.. but what about the last wire?? where does this go? this is the ignition wire correct?
    any help would be great I am frustrated that something that should be so simple has me stuck!
    thanks,
    Larry

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

If this is a GM starter I will have to see a pic. stock; cable to 3/8 stud, inside is sol wire outside is relay(by-pass). Late starters don't have the relay(outside) terminal they do it with the ignition switch. I know it is me but your description has me confused.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Still 6 volt ? The pos. cable & main body feed/charge wire ( about a #4) go on the 3/8'' stud, the solenoid wire goes on the little one.

4. PR51

PR51

LOL I'm with you guys but the thing is there is only one post.... "there is no little one"
    One post that's it... I can only think NAPA gave me the wrong starter.
    I'll try to post a pic.
    the last one is a normal solenoid and the first two are the new one...

5. PR51

PR51

for some reason I cn't post pics on here

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part number on the box? What is the exact application? Engine/trans Voltage, And what did you ask for?

3 prongs as you say or the hot post for the battery, start and resistor bypass posts mean 12 Volt.

7. PR51

PR51

the NAPA part number is 2449651... I asked for a starter for a 1951 chevy fleetline Deluxe 216/3.5... they crossreferenced the number from the original starter 1107061... and gave me that one.

8. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Did they sell you a starter for a pick-up? If old memory serves, they had mechanical switch which was operated by foot pedal which also engaged the Bendix. They would only have the one big terminal for the battery cable. You may be mistaking the mechanical switch for a solenoid.
    Regards,
    Farmalldan