Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shorty header installation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I recently ordered a set of shorty headers off the fleabay from DNA Motoring for use when I drop the engine back into my 4th generation Thunderbird. All the bolt holes line up on the heads, but I didn't check to see if the flanges had the same number of bolts. They don't. The old ones (probably original to the car) were 2 bolt, the headers and their adaptors were 3 bolt. I haven't done exhaust work before other than the mufflers on my previous, non-HAMB friendly DD, so I am unsure of how to install the adaptors and headers in the car. Additionally, the adaptors are of a slightly larger diameter than what is currently on the car (2.5" vs 2.25", from the looks of things), so my major question is: how do I install these adaptors, especially since I may need to make adjustments when I install the engine?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a welder and reasonable welding skills? If so, I can explain what I did. Otherwise, contact your local muffler shop.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are you talking about the flang on the collector?

Just take your head pipe to an exhaust shop and have them weld a new correct flange to your old head pipe. If the difference in size is enough that that doesn’t work out just have them bump up the areajist behind the flange to the bigger size before they add the flange.

Easy stuff.

If you like doing stuff your self they sell pipe “adapters” at about every auto parts store. Just weld the new flange on the big end and splice the small end to your existing head pipe

5. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I'll probably get photos up later in the day. Realized I am missing information that is is important: I cannot weld. Don't have the equipment or knowledge. Also trying to avoid shops because I am a bit cheap on my student budget.

Tim likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Find somebody local to weld the flange onto an adapter. Remove the head pipe and cut the end off and clamp the new piece on.

That’s your best route then

Anything else and I promise you you’ll pay twice as much scabing something together than you would have just taking it to a qualified shop

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Aftermarket headers are three or even some with four bolt flanges. You can get any size flanges you need. I would cut off the oem two bolt and weld on the three hole flange you need.

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

9. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Here are photos. Finally got measurements, 2" pipe on the car. Going to use a 2.25" to 2.125" adaptor clamped in between the 2.5" flange and 2" pipe. Once it's on satisfactorily I'll use exhaust tape to seal any leaks.
    image.jpg image.jpg

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That aught to work

JeffB2 likes this.