Register now to get rid of these ads!

shorting a collapsible steering shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brpowel4, Jun 16, 2010.

1. brpowel4

brpowel4

I just picked up a collapsible steering shaft from a Dodge dart. its roughly 41 inches long. i need it to be about 34 inches long. the top part is a 3/4 double D shaft that slides into a round shaft.

IS there anyway i can smack it with a hammer to "collapse" it down to 34 inches and still use it? thought i'd try that before cutting the top off and welding it to a new shaft.

IS there anything inside the shaft (i.e liquid) to act as an absorbent. right now it doesn't slide freely so i don't know if rust is preventing it from moving or something inside the shaft is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Angliaman

Angliaman
    from Forney, Tx

The shaft should collapse as far as the double d is machined into the round part of the shaft with little problem. The mass jacket/tube will collapse to just as it would in a wreck. Hammer and a 2x4 are the tools I use to do it....

3. daliant

daliant

Whack away, there's not liquid in the shaft just two little nylon sheer pins

4. cooljunk

cooljunk

I took the D shaped parts apart (nylon pins)shortened each half and reassembled and welded. Of course the colapasability is lost.