Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shortening a steering column??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StanDaManTX, Feb 7, 2011.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Hello guys, I am thinking of purchasing an integral power steering box, but the company says that the steering column needs to be shortened 3 inches to make it work. I have never shortened the steering column on anything and was wondering if there was a tech article out there or if anyone had any words of wisdom, to help me understand the process. Any help would be great thanks.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the Mercury or ?

On that one if it is not a tilt I think you can take it out and take it apart and shorten the outside tube and shift tube pretty easy but may have to have a machine shop shorten the steering shaft.

3. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

sorry, Yes on my 63 Mercury with Automatic. No tilt column.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a manual with an exploded view of the column and directons on how to take it apart right and put it back together.
    I am pretty sure that the steering shaft is one solid piece in those and am not sure how the thing is made on the bottom end to tell how to shorten it.
    The outside tube an shift tube should be pretty straight forward in that you take a three inch section out of them and align them up and weld them back together. You want to make sure that the bottom ends are in exact alignment to where they were before when you do it though.