Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shortened Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thorkle Rod, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon T

Jon T
    from Seattle

Pretty clownish
    [​IMG]

2. Brent Trautman

Brent Trautman

Beauty is in the eye etc.. etc.. I have one and love it, why not take an old 4 door station wagon and turn it into something people will talk about and maybe enjoy. I get nothing but good responses. (unless they think you chopped a nomad!)

3. thats gotta be a barris creation!!!!

4. wow its funny this post was replied on today

at our local weekly cruise a guy drove in in a shorty 57 chevy wagon i took pics of it but havent got them scanned in the computer yet

there used to be afew around here mainly the 4door sedan shortys the tops never look right on them

but i would own a shortened wagon in a heart beat ,because unless the golden goose flys over and shits all over me ill never own the old 2 door wagon (any make) that ive allways lusted after

the 57 ford wagon shorty posted here looks really cool 'course im kinda partial to 57 fords

5. bathcollector

bathcollector

Like this ? one i built years ago
    [​IMG]

6. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

Does this count as a shortened car.:D
    [​IMG]

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

WOW now that was some crazy shit.I like the yard art with the flames and the round ball VW.Most of the cars are too short and would be dangerous to drive but hay crazy stuff is fun!Thanks for posting the pictures.

8. Here is one I always think of - at a Last Run show a few years back

Attached Files:

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think I've still got the photos somewhere. It was a shortened late-'50s De Soto that turned up in Gaborone, Botswana, of all places. It had the same weirdness of proportion, the tailfins were cut down, and it was painted a sort of day-glo orange. The editor of a local magazine brought me the pics, and we cobbled up a spoof piece for the April fool's edition, about a supposed famous US custom car from back in the day surfacing in Gaborone. I did a '50s-style rendering and a shaded pencil sketch that passed for an old b&w photograph.

I think the problem with a lot of these is that the shortening thing is overdone. It's closest to working when the composite doors are as long as the hinges will carry; it's silliest when they are shorter than four-door fronts. And it's the front overhangs that look too big. I like the disproportionately long tails, but either slicing out a bit of front overhang or shifting the front wheels forward might correct a lot of the wrongness.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  10. MsMadison

MsMadison

I'm building a '55 wagon "shorty". After cutting down the body, I put it on a '92 Caprice Classic frame and channeled the body 3 1/2". I wanted something to drive everyday and give me good gas mileage so I bought a roll-over 2008 Chevy Colorado and used the engine and transmission from it. The inline 5 cylinder looks pretty cool in the car and I think is just a new twist on something old since my car originally had an inline 6. I know shortening cars is not for everyone but I'm having a blast putting this car together. I can't wait to get it on the road and take it to some cruise nights. Anyways- I have photos of the project in my album. Check it out!

Madison :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I work with a guy that did this exact thing with a fiero painted gold. still has the roof over the "back seat" maybe I'll post a pic next time he drives it to work.....

12. hal

hal

heres a couple we did the roadster is shortened 8". the single cab is shortened 4'.

Attached Files:

13. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Another good name for this thread would be "Abortions".

14. 61bone

61bone

Don't get much shorter than this.

Attached Files:

15. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Another one

Attached Files:

16. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

17. a shorty tri-five Chevy wagon ran around Lakewood when I was kid, there is now a shorty on craigslist in Tacoma at a car lot, why would someone do that to a car ! geezzz !

18. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

I got a shot of this one at a show in Pigeon Forge one year.

Attached Files:

19. That is nice, very nice..........it looks like a prototype of a late model Tahoe!

20. This months Hot Rod has a shortened and reportortioned Imperial Roadster that will be pretty cool when finished.
    I remember seeing quite a few articles with shorted Corvairs
    A few years ago I saw a shortened 58 Ford wagon that was well done

21. davis574ord

davis574ord

I think that they are goofy lookin, i understand it takes alot of work and skill to do, but why would you spend all of that time to make it look like a shriners car ! They just dont look right to me!

22. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I would rather get drunk than build a clown car!

23. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Its hard to pull that shortening off but if i ever did one, i think leaving the wheels out front would be neat.

Attached Files:

24. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

You guys got something against Shriners? Or is it just the little cars?

Attached Files:

25. yardgoat

yardgoat

I agree 100% lol......................YG

26. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here someone made a short car even shorter .....

[​IMG]

At least they didn't have to shorten the drive shaft too.

27. 62rebel

62rebel

damn, i kinda like that 'vair.... i think i mighta left it just a COUPLE of inches longer, but as it is.... cool...
    cut a hole in the panel behind the seats and you can check the oil while driving.

28. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Here is the Thunderturd ! ! 14" shortened and made into the dimensions of a 1955 Thunderbird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

one question...............WHY????????????(SHAKES HEAD)

30. Slow55

Slow55

Damn, this looks like a badass Bumper Car

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.