Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Shortened 1941-48 Ford decklids - done back in the day?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Michigander, Feb 20, 2014.

1. I can find a few builds from the last 20 years, but was it ever perfomed during the heyday of customs, the 40's and 50's, on coupes or converts? Seems like a lot of work to an another shut line where its not welcome, but perhaps there were motives that I don't understand. It would stiffen the rear body shell, but that does not seem to be a weak area to start with.

These examples end the decklid at the point where the top of the rear fender profile starts.

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Must be rarer than I thought!

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I personally never saw it and don't like it but both examples were well done...

4. Squablow

Squablow

Is that a sedan trunklid, mounted up high with the bottom filled in? I know the coupe trunklids are really hard to find, maybe that's what was done here? I doubt you'll find any that were done in the 50's or 60's that way. Interesting though.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I saw a customised shoebox a few years ago that had the deck lid shortened like in the two pics...Gives a stationary place for plate I guess..

6. phat rat

phat rat

Personally I don't like it. But maybe they want to be sure their beer can't fall out. I can't remember ever seeing it back in the day, but.

7. No, sedan lid wouldn't come close to fitting the contours and opening. The green/black convert is my recent purchase (needs a bumper), and thought the mod was rather odd but well done!

Steve

8. sawzall

sawzall

my understanding is that the bottom 6-8 inches of a sedan decklid is the same as the bottom 6-8 inches of a coupe decklid..

my opinion... is that the owners of the cars pictured.. didnt know that.. and had rough decklids.. otherwise.. I have no idea why anyone would want this modification

9. I welded mine shut added a rumble seat

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Got any pics of that?

11. 296ardun

296ardun

I went back and looked at the custom 41-48 Fords and Mercs from the golden age of customizing, and saw none that had a shortened trunk lid...like those above, I don't like the idea.....

12. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know, you don't think that could be a sedan trunklid? The shape looks right, so does the size. Maybe with a bit of cutting? Odd that these two cars have identical mods that line up in just the same place, I can't come up with any other explanation.

Attached Files:

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

I can confirm the bottom 6 inches is the same !

14. oldolds

oldolds

If the bottom of the decklid was rusted away. This would be the easy fix.

15. fryguy

fryguy

It is an anomally that probably shouldn't be repeated. Nothing about the mod enhances the look of the car from the rear. It is strange coincidence that both cars have the same mod that end at the very same point. Makes you wonder.

Fryguy

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The different break line would be much more visible than stock one on a car with bumper or nerf bar, is very conspicuous on the car with no bumper!

17. Maybe both of these cars were rear-ended at some point in their lives and the shop figured it was easier and cheaper to cut off the damaged portion of the deck-lid and weld in an in-house fabbed panel and relocate the latch and striker as opposed to replacing the deck lid.

18. I'm not going to change it back on my car, just going to live with it. I've found 4 cars with this mod so far, all builds within the last 20 years. Here's another (primer coupe).

Steve

Attached Files:

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

72 years ago, one could get gas ration tickets if he had a 'pickup', rather than a coupe.
    Hope this isn't a sign of something 'yet to come'...

20. silent rick

silent rick

in the pic of the primered car, see how the line of the fender follows the trunk edge now? i considered doing it to my 46. it that what you might call pancaking the deck lid?

21. silent rick

silent rick

i'm thinking voodoo larry might have done something similiar to the green car. idol? i don't know it's name