Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects shopping for a Plasma cutter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Aug 24, 2017.

1. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

I'm rather partial to my Esab. It's nice knowing i have the ability to cut through 1 3/4" steel, even though I'll probably never have the need to cut something that thick.

Attached Files:

2. There's two types CHEAP or GOOD! Pick one.

3. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Thank's much for all of the info guy's.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used ones, if they have been checked out, are a viable alternative to new ones.

My welding supplier routinely has them for sale.

They recently had a Miller Spectrum Cutmate 375, from the generation when they were just small, not microscopic), for 40% the price of a new one, with the same cutting specs.

I have that plasma cutter, and it works really well for automotive use. It is nice that you can turn it down enough to just cut, and not lay waste to the consumables so rapidly.

5. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I have had a Hypertherm 600 for 12 years now, I use it 3-4 times a week. Best tool in my garage.

I think the best way a company can make money is to sell something so reliable the customer only needs to buy it once and cant shut up about what a fine machine it is.

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I have a thermal dynamics's pac master 38XL. It's a US made unit and consumables are easy to get. It's 110/220 with a cord change. It came with a 110 cord, 15 amp and says it cuts 1/4", I have used it mostly for sheet metal work but have cut frame material when redoing the car this past winter.

Good working unit I got off Craigslist for cheap money ($250) and haven't given me any problems.

Like a TIG welder, I don't use it enough to justify the big cost of new, nice US made ones and this seemed like a better choice than a new offshore unit. It's a good stable mate to my Hobart 220 volt welder.

Cliff Ramsdell

IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5013.JPG

7. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I had a Lincoln that worked fine until lightning took out a lot of my equipment. After that I bought a small Miller 220V. I've used it A LOT over the past 12 years and never had a second's trouble. Consumables aren't cheap but they're available almost anywhere. Most of my cutting is on 18 or 16 ga. sheet metal. It's handled up to 1/4 inch with no problems, just have a fresh cup and tip in it when you start.