Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shop truck 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Are T 5 trans a feasible choice for towing ?

2. I have a old '65 Ford pickup with a 302 and a T-10 4 speed, we have a 302 and a 5 speed in Brenda's wagon, I don't think the T-5 is the right transmission for a work truck, If I had it to do over there would be a T-10 in the wagon. HRP

3. I think you might consider the 63 thru 66 GMC and Chevy trucks. Much more room in the cab. more comfortable on long trips. They have better suspension and easily upgraded to front disk brakes. A granny 4 speed you have a low gear for starting heavy loads and backing up with a trailer. My 66 GMC 1/2 ton is a stock 250 six. Factory SM420 granny low trans and Dana 44 rear 336 gears. and I use it. (actually abuse). Haul heavy loads pull trailers. ect. and it don't guzzle gas. My wife has her daddys 66 chevy 3/4. 292 - SM420 trans and 456 gears. pulls anything but guzzles fuel. its parked and the 66 GMC is used every day. And it don't bother it a bit to run 70 MPH all day long. In the last picture is a Farmall M. its dry shipping weight is 5000 pounds. and it has a loader wheel weights and fluid in the tires. the trailer is a tilt top with a 20 ft steel deck. probably around 4 tons. and I pulled that load thru the hills from mammoth Springs ar. GMC & trailer load 001.JPG GMC & trailer load 002.JPG GMC & trailer load 003.JPG farmall m 147.JPG

41rodderz likes this.
  4. mkubacak

mkubacak

They are not traditional or cheap, but the NV4500 just does it all. 5.61 first gear when towing heavy and a .75 overdrive for the highway.

Otherwise, SM420, SM465, T18/T19, or NP435 are the four speed transmissions I would be on the lookout for.

Boneyard51 and anthony myrick like this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for your reply. Interesting, I thought the T 5 would be a great trans for your wagon.

6. Define towing
    A lawn mower? Ok
    A car trailer? Not me
    You could light duty tow with a nv3500
    The nv4500 for regular HD towing
    For ford applications, the 5spd from a f150 for light duty rowing. A ZF for HD towing
    All these transmissions have load rating listed on the internet
    Do you need a HD trans rated to tow 11k in a truck not capable of stoping 7k?
    No
    Build a chop truck that can stop what it’s able/intended to tow or haul

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

See that's great.:) That set up is probably spot on what I would work for me. Easy to find parts for to. I believe in another thread you gave advice to another hamber about using a sbc flywheel in a 250 Chevy six ? I need to get a flywheel to stick a manual trans behind the six . The trans I do have is got the bell housing pressure plate, clutch plate but I am going all new. In your opinion is a standard pilot bushing ok or is roller bearing a better choice.? Thanks David

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay thanks. I think it would be fairly easy to get an SM420 around here.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good advice. Upgrades will be disc brakes at least on front maybe rear as well. I suspect not towing anything other than maybe a car or truck. My buddy collects projects no matter how many he has going :) , so being co conspirators on a road trip is always an event in the waiting. For me it is towing a 1937 Chevy coupe modified (when I find a body , a replica of my Dad's old racer), a load of long lumber or lengths of steel tubing or sheets.

10. I would suggest a 3/4 ton then
    Sounds like you need more than an average 1/2 ton
    An early 60s gm with the front xmember from s square body will give you large enough braking for what you plan to do. Plus these are super easy the get a great stance

11. Most of the time I'd start out in 2nd gear with a SM420. That gear ratio is 3.57, so that x 3.08 for a 10.99 number, it still should take off well unless you are pulling a load or a trailer. 1st gear is a 7.01, I've used it in the past to get a big load going. Most of my trucks had either a 4.57 or 5.14 rear.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Makes sense relating to a 3/4 ton . Maybe with a 9.3 Olds rear . I need a ring and pinion set anyways.:)

13. There is nothing wrong with it but having cut my teeth on a T-10 they are in my opinion a better transmission for hauling and they can take more abuse, plus with a good Hurst shifter the feeling is just better.

Just more old school! HRP

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree. I grew up with saginaws and muncies and a four speed just feels right.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. LOL he wants an inline 6.

I like a 3.55 to 3.73 gear for an all around gear. 4.11 and deeper is OK for heavy hauling but without an OD it is not going to be real friendly on a long haul. Car 4 speeds are fun in a hot rod truck but a truck 4 gear with a compound low is probably more practical in a hauler. That said they are heavy pigs and you really seldom use grandma so its really like have a 3 speed with an inbred country cousin along for the ride. He aint real quick but he can carry heavy stuff.

If I had to run an inline 6 I would be leaning toward a 300" six for a ford motor or a 292 for a GM motor unless I wanted to go full on '50s motor then I would be looking for a 302 Gimmy. Lots of low end grunt.

41rodderz likes this.
  16. 300 Ford is the finest light duty truck gas engine ever built. This is coming from a Chevrolet guy. Just remember, in-line sixes move 80,000 lbs all day every day. My DD is an in-line and I love it, wouldn’t have anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. My shop ride is getting a 500 inch caddy
    500 ft pounds it torque at around 2600rpn

18. I have never had any problem with the stock bronze pilot bushing. Yes the V8 trucks have a 11 inch flywheel and it will work perfect on the six cyl. engines. Myself I use a newer GM HEI electronic ign. and put a ethanol compatable kit in the carb. I tend to prefer the GMC trucks because after 64 they have leaf spring rear suspension. makes it easy to install a 73 & newer rear end and change the front crossmember and have disk brake front and 5 lug wheels.

41rodderz likes this.
  19. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

250 straight six with sm420 granny low, 308 rear gears in my 52 gmc. Hauls and tows just fine. Great on gas mileage and will cruise at 70mph

41rodderz and Old wolf like this.
  20. Ive got some 292's they never stop pulling. when on a grade just get back out of the throttle and they will lug right along. but I never use the 292's. They guzzle gas. when loaded heavy they use as much as a v8. the little 250 will do the same job on 1/2 the fuel. this guy had a 3/4 ton with a big block 402. pulled a gooseneck cattle trailer. the 402 gave up the ghost. so they installed a 292 taken out of a school bus. The 292 did the job. However it used more fuel than the 402 did. Only mill that has more torque than a 292 is a V6 GMC and they guzzled fuel also.

21. Ive got the stuff gathered for another truck. It will replace my 66 GMC. 71 leaf spring 342 rear 1/2 ton frame. disc brakes & 5 lug wheels. factory Sm420 trans. However In going to use a 56 GMC 216 Pontiac bell & flywheel starter ect. and a 60 Pontiac 389 engine. Likely a 250 six would be better. But ive got a tri power intake and carbs and other goodies for a 389! It will receive a older cab & bed.

41rodderz likes this.