Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shop Table build------------

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DesertRat#1, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

TableProject 005.JPG TableProject 008.JPG TableProject 015.JPG I need a steel topped work/welding table that I can move around and outside for welding on my 40 build project. Knocked the table out in a couple days but 2 coats primer and 2 coats color, another four days. Our business fab shop has a 10' shear so I had them shear up some 10GA plate for the top and sides per my cad drawing and below is the finished product.

juan motime, catdad49, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  2. cshades

cshades
    from wi

This is the shop bench I just built a couple of weeks ago

weld bench 004.JPG weld bench 011.JPG weld bench 012.JPG

juan motime, 1-SHOT, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  3. raven

raven

I like them!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. D.R#1, Nice looking cabinet work. I'll go out on a limb here and say the day will come when you will wish you had built it out of Steel Tube and larger casters instead of Lumber.
    The Wizzard

5. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

Thanks Wizzard, I appreciate the comment. I had a little time, no weldor and wood available so it was a make do deal. This one will be a multiple use table, my frame table will be all steel but I needed this one to build the frame table.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Since I am seriously "carpentry challenged", I went a different route; recycle/re-purpose/reuse. I have an old, solid wood, military desk. The thing's so solid and heavy, I actually have a vice bolted to it. Four large drawers, and a smaller, center drawer hold all kinds of stuff. The only "bad" thing about it is, when it's cold/wet outside, the drawers sometimes swell up, making it hard to get them out. An equally solid, metal cabinet, with two sliding doors, sits atop the desk. Most of my fasteners, solderless terminals, hose clamps, etc, are stored in it. My welding cart, is an old audio-visual, roll-around cart that's large enough to hold my Craftsman Buzz Box arc welder and supplies, a 110V MIG/a 220V MIG and supplies, and a small O/A torch setup and supplies. Several other recycled cabinets, and a couple of dressers have also been put to use. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

DesertRat#1 likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work!....you'll find it super handy......until it becomes a shelf like every other horizontal surface in my shop. you look pretty organized and tidy so that might not be a problem for you.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  9. I understand how this all works with using what's on hand. Mobil work stations as well as equipment makes life a lot easier. Took me a while to grab onto the 2 drawer and 4 drawer cabinet idea but I finally saw the light.
    The Wizzard

10. gatz

gatz

some years ago I answered a CL ad for a "table". It was sitting upside down on top of another light-weight table. The woman's son and I struggled to get it down on the garage floor and upright, but as it turned out, glad I did. She threw in the Reed vise with it for $45
    At first I thought the legs were just some cheapo steel tubing and would take hours to clean up, and then re-paint.
    After I got it home and started taking things apart, it became obvious that it was a darn good industrial table like from an institution, and the legs were actually heavy wall galvanized tubing.
    Took quite a while to clean things up.
    Especially that decoupage crap that was once fashionable. (never understood the thinking there).
    After making new tension rods and re-gluing the maple top together, I took it to a lumber co and had it sanded down. Turned out nice.
    Welded up a lower shelf. Added casters. Now have a descent flat table to work on.

Table 1-1-11_1.jpg
    Table with Legs 1-1-11_1.jpg
    Vise 1-1-11_1.jpg
    Table Cleaning 1-1-11_2.jpg
    Table 3-13-11_2.jpg
    Table 3-13-11_3.jpg
    Reed Vise After 3-13-11_2.jpg

juan motime and DesertRat#1 like this.
  11. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The teller cabinets were from a remodel at the local bank, the casters were a swap meet buy and the top is a 3 1/2 x 5 ft piece of 1/2 in steel that was the top of a sad welding bench bought from a going out of business welding shop. The only new things I had to buy was the steel for the frame and the receivers for mounting things on the ends of the bench like a saw table. Here is a pic of the sad bench that I got the top off of, good thing was the $50 price tag.

Attached Files:

DesertRat#1 likes this.