Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop owners. Renting shop space for car or cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AREA51SD, Nov 3, 2012.

1. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Had a request from a business neighbor about storing his car inside my shop. I have the space, that is not a problem. I would have rules (1) its for storage only (2) cannot work on vehicles and some others. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or is it worth it.

Thanks; pb

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I assure you, that will end up being more trouble than it's worth.
    He will want access when it's inconvenient.
    Any damage = your fault.
    Is it a project? How long will it be collecting dirt?
    What happens when you need the room?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. kennkat

kennkat

Possibly if you have a single designated area... out of the normal flow of things... But is the added income worth the added headache? Only you can answer that...

5. I would require him to have insurance, and you not be responsible for damages.

6. BCR

BCR

Good idea but, his insurance company will sue you or your insurance company in event of a claim.

7. Enough said.

8. Just say "NO!"

9. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I don't have enough garage space at home so I'm considering storing my '32 roadster over the winter at a local car shop that has a large warehouse area with enough space for about 50 cars ...only about 20 in there now. I am also looking to buy or rent a nearby garage but they're very hard to come by and I can't wait. This space is adjacent to their car shop, 24 hr. security cameras, heated, they offer covers if you need one, trickle chargers, they'll get it ready to roll if you call that you're picking it up. If you sign for a 1/4 year it's less than $150 per month. It's the best alternative I've been able to find so far.

It is for storage only, no work allowed. Access is when they're there, usually not there on weekends but will make arrangements if you ask and someone from their end is usually willing to let you in/out.

10. AntiBling

AntiBling

I would never use a working space as a storage place. If you have people you can trust maybe rent out space as a working space. We did that up here, you bring in your own tools to work on it though. But this was all people we knew and trusted and we had our own keys to the shop to work when we wanted to.

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

How much are you going to charge him

12. Bingo ... :cool:

Jim

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have considered storing one of my cars in this manner and they are fully insured as well--so I can have room to build another over the winter. I am hesitant to put a finished car anywhere for fear of damage-don't know what the solution is. Most shops that I have contacted are very hesitant to store a nice car due to liability issues and I don't blame them. Haven't come up with a good solution yet.

14. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Thanks everyone for your post and answers. He just asked since he has talked to a long customer of mine that brings his car here for storage for short periods (1 month), but since he is a customer and we did the restoration on his cars. He has told us we are the only shop he trust. I have been asked before by people coming by about storing, but i am very hesitant about this.

As for our customers storing cars, we charge $175.00 for 1 month
    (longest stored car stayed 3 months). We call 1 week before the final date to make sure pick up day. Then 2 days before we make sure everything is checked out and run the car. Here some of the cars we have stored.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I stored a car for a guy "for 3 months" that stayed for closer to a year. I finally told him that I needed the space, 3 months of excuses after that I told him this will be your last month and the rent is free, called him the last weekend of the month and he started giving me a sob story about how he didn't have time to get it, even though I had given him a month for frre to come get it.

I told him he didn't need to come get it, but the car will be outside on the first of the month, somehow he found the time to get it that weekend. something about an orange with white stripes 69 Z/28 sitting outside in an industrial park and visible from the cars passing by on the freeway got his sorry ass in gear.

had another guy who couldn't bother to come by and give me my rent money. had to go to his shop and get it . that one lasted about 3 months.

was it worth it? sure. a bit of a pain in the ass at times though.

16. Tough to rent space and make everyone happy. In a working area, sooner of later the car will get in the way. One place I knew, rented out space on a 2nd level and they even had an elevator to bring the cars up to it. He probably had 20 cars up there at any given time.

Bob

17. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm on the receiving end of this deal. I have a car stored in a side area of a working shop, It's long term, I pay quarterly and they want to have proof of insurance. If I want to use the car I give them 24 hour notice and they dig it out for me. No work can be done on the car on their premises.

18. ems customer service

ems customer service

do not do it, just a pain in the rear, tell him to go to storage center

19. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I have rented space for storage of project vehicles in the past. Everytime I did I was given a key to the place to access the space when needed. Are you willing to give them unlimited access? If not, don't expect it to last long unless it's a car he never drives.

As far as being the guy who does the renting the space, I've been on that end as well but not for renting car storage. To be honest I always did it for more than a favor than to make money. Everytime I did it there was an issue. Either people didn't pay, claimed stuff was missing or stolen, or some other bs issue. It was never worth the hassle. I'd avoid it if I were you.

Ed

20. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

are you pitching for work with the pictures shown?

21. I've never had a problem being on either end of this.
    Hell no its not 24 hr access and there's no in and out privileges outside of the move in/out window. The only time you get to work on it is if it starts leaking fuel.

Its generally not a month to month either. Its winter & the whole winter paid to get in.

22. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

No.

23. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

since your storing customers cars already,your already in the process in my opinion.

24. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Thats the difference, these are long standing repeat customer cars that were done by us. I like to take care of my customers. So i am trying to see if its worth the trouble to rent space to anyone other than some of my customers.

25. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'm renting space for my next project since it looks kinda rough the wife doesn't want it sitting in the driveway. It's indoors, 50 miles away, and if it doesn't run when I come and get it that's my problem. Hook up a come along to get it on the trailer. Advantages are it's out of my hair for now until I have indoor space and it's cheap. If it gets damaged that's my own problem for having more cars than space.

Devin

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you want a load of negativity just ask this, or any simlar question, on the HAMB and you will get more negativity than you can handle.

The thing is, EVERYTHING in life can be "more trouble than it's worth". It all comes down to good planning, good decision making and being prepared for the occasional hiccup that is inevitable.

If we didn't do that we wouldn't be doing anything.......we'd be living under a rock.

I think you are on the right track.....make some reasonable rules, put it in writing, add in some provisions for what will be done when the 'hiccups' occur and charge accordingly.

Ray

27. BCR

BCR

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ray I agree with you, just make sure you build in enough $$$ to up your contents coverage. Anything you two put in writing will be out the window if a insurance company gets involved.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Personally I would never store a vehicle where I could not get to it when I want to and that person would probably be better to rent a space at a store and lock since it would have 24 hour access and you would not have to deal with them coming back and saying you damaged it,I rent one stall of a 4 car garage and happy that I can get into it when ever I want.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

A great thing they have in Louisville, KY is a Mega Cavern where you can store vehicles for $75 a month. Its under ground, tornado proof, heated with easy access to your car. Its a no brainer for someone needing storage.

30. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

This sort of arrangement never works to the benefit of shop/garage owner. It has all the potential to become a lawsuit, a real pain in the as or worse. In other words, don't do it!!