Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Technical Shop lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Aug 20, 2019.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

I have all flourecent lights in my shop but am concidering replacing them with led tubes, has anyone done this, if so are you happy with the results. Make and part numbers would help, I don't want to replace the ballasts. Thanks in advance.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I looked into it, I have older lights that the ballasts wont' work with LED tubes. You can buy special LED lights and rewire them to eliminate the ballasts.

still haven't done it.

1953naegle and LAROKE like this.
  3. pprather

pprather

When I did some research, I found that there are LED tubes that continue to use the old ballasts, and another type that requires you to rewire the fixture so the ballasts are no longer used.
    I chose to rewire my fixtures as ballasts consume energy, are an environmental polluter upon disposal, and will become more difficult to source.
    When I rewired around them, I left them in the fixture, so I wouldn't have to properly dispose of them.
    Hope this helps get the discussion started.

Phil

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time a fluorescent goes out in my shop, I take the fixture down, remove the ballast, and rewire it to use LED tubes and re-install it. The rewiring is really simple and can be done in a few minutes. I highly recommend the LED's.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks Phil and Jim, what about performance compared to flourecent. In other words was it worth the extra expence

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I am using Walmart 4 foot led shop lights, the 5,000 Lumen model - $21.84 each

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-4-Ft-Led-Shop-Light-5000-Lm/345205251

Usually in stock. They come with a pull chain switch, if you want to turn off some when not working in that area. I am very happy with the light, and have finally gotten used to the ticking sound they make as they warm up.

My shop had an assortment of fluorescent fixtures, installed over the last 33 years. A friend took them and converted them to LED tubes - The cheaper fixtures were glued together plastic, and did not survive disassembly...

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have been pondering completely relighting the garage. Some are fluorescent and a mix of bulbs, so there always seems to be shadows.

8. blackanblue

blackanblue

Tubman when you rewired your fixture hot to tombstones on one end neutral to the opposite end correct.

upspirate likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought complete LED 4 footers at Costco
    About the same price as replacing just the tubes with LED units in my old florescent fixtures. More light and come on in the cold and don't flicker.

10. blackanblue

blackanblue

I have four separate banks on four separate switchs so I can use one or all.

bct, seb fontana and X-cpe like this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  12. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks everybuddy I'm going to go for it.

Vic Walter and upspirate like this.
  13. I replaced all the bulbs in my shop (24 2 bulb fixtures) with LED’s from Costco. They were a direct replacement into the existing fluorescent fixtures with no rewiring required. The difference was unbelievable. I’ve got photos around somewhere with before and after. If I can find them I’ll add them to this post.
    Well worth the money....... and they were on sale on-line with free delivery. Had them delivered to St. Louis and brought them north as checked luggage.

14. blackanblue

blackanblue

Brad2v I mounted some fixtures right on my rollup door with extention cord and plugs just remember to unplug before rolling up door.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct. I bought a bunch of extra "Tombstones" because the article I read originally said I needed them. It turned out that I didn't. They were pretty cheap, so it was no problem. I could set up a mouse cemetery with all the extra tombstones I have.:D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    61Cruiser, X-cpe and catdad49 like this.
  16. blackanblue

blackanblue

HaHa that right there is funny.

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

Go here, read the first two stickies
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I replaced all my T12s last winter with T8's fixtures I got for free. Very happy with them coming on right away when it gets down around freezing. I have six two tube T12s I'm converting to LED. Got th tubes for $6.99 each and now I just have to get some new tombstones. So for under $100 I'll have LED lighting in the part of the shop that used to have a couple of incandescent lights. I'm sure it will be a big improvement.

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I installed direct replacement 4' LED bulbs in the old fixtures, I love them! They run cooler and take far less amperage.

20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Dog_Patch, deadbeat and AHotRod like this.
  21. blackanblue

blackanblue

Hard to find time when your gallivanting around in that old Hudson.

squirrel likes this.
  22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

How are the led lights on the eye balls ?

I have some of those halogen bulbs on those dual light work stands like home depot sells and after awhile they start making me sick, thought it was just me but the last time I used them my son was helping and after about 35_40 minutes he commented that he was feeling sick and thought it was the lights.

We went outside for about 30 minutes and felt fine.

flatford39 likes this.
  23. Went to new LED fixtures when I heated & sheeted my shop.
    I would recommend them without hesitation.

24. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I decided in 2018 to replace all my shop/barn T-12 fluorescents with LEDs. I learned through some research about LED tube options; bypass vs. replacement, colors, and clear vs. frosted.
    I chose 4000K frosted bypass 4' tubes for all 8 of the 4' two-tube fixtures. These all have two-pin "tombstones" that are simply parallel +/- wired on one end.
    I bought 30 8' single pin frosted bypass tubes on Ebay with a 4500-5000K color. These require power to each end.
    All 22 ballasts were removed and taken to our local hazardous waist center. There was enough wiring left in each fixture to rewire for the LEDs.
    The conversion took about 3 days, along with an 8' scaffold that really helped with the 8 footers, but the results are very well worth it! No more buzzing, flickering, age discoloration, poor quality new 8' fluorescents, cold weather warm-up, and hazardous disposal. Overall about 960 watts less power used for the same light! That doesn't include the energy used by the 22 ballasts.
    I had already switched from (12) 100 watt incandescent bulbs in the main barn area to CFLs years ago, but now have LEDs that save over 1000 watts vs. the incandescents.
    A little costly up front, but much less power usage, longer lasting and much better light.
    :cool:
    JFYI, The 8' tubes were bought from Ebay seller "yourledworld2014". The brand is WYZM, and cost about $16 ea. The 4' tubes were bought from a local supplier for $6 ea.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    AHotRod, fauj and pprather like this.
  25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Replaced all the lights in my shop with the led’s that only require wiring around the ballast. Very quick and easy install. Definitely brighter than fluorescent for sure. Easy on the eyes and much cooler. Only down side for me is that they show every defect in the paint on my hot rods. They are a huge improvement in my opinion.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I thought I posted this before, probably on another thread. I recently replaced all of my old fluorescent fixtures with five new LED units, about 35-40 bucks each at LOWES. Not the bulbs, the entire fixtures. And I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. They are bright and should last for years n years. No drips, runs or errors. Gary

PS if you spend a little more for one fixture, some of the little bastards come with Wifi and a speaker so you can play your tunes, too. I was too cheap, as my boom box is still working.

AHotRod and tractorguy like this.
  27. I used the
    Hyperikon T8 T10 T12 LED Light Tube 4FT, 18W (40W-50W Equiv.), Dual-End Powered, Ballast Bypass, F48T8 Fluorescent Replacement, 2360 Lumens, 6000K, Clear, Garage, Warehouse, Shop Lights.

I got them from Amazon and I was able to use my existing fixtures, I just remove the ballast and changed the wiring around inside the fixture.

My future in the garage is so bright I gotta wear shades! :D HRP

seb fontana, blackanblue and LAROKE like this.
  28. goldmountain

goldmountain

I put the no ballast LED units in my kitchen. Real easy. You power one end and the other end is just a place holder. Now does anyone know of replacement LED lights for 8 foot fluorescents?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Dave is in the process of changing his 8 footers, I'll ask him where he bought his. HRP

30. I removed twelve four foot two bulb fluorescent fixtures and replaced them with the an equal number (24) of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/362567726918 four foot LED strips. I also gave the ceiling a new coat of gloss white paint at the same time.

Unreal how much nicer it is to work in there now.

I have a couple of side light fixtures I use when the big door is open; just ordered another six pack of the LED's to replace them next.

I took the old bulbs and ballasts to the hazardous waste drop off and scrapped the sheet metal.

AHotRod and mgtstumpy like this.