Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop broken into need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by angrychairmen, Jun 18, 2009.

1. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I've been hit two times in four years. My insurance agent told me I was cancelled, because my losses were too high. He said I would need a commercial building and alarm system to be even considered again. Basically, he said come back in six years and I'll be ready to get a policy again.

Basically, I'm just a spectator now. My wife gives me an allowance...

2. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

wow sorry for ya

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I got robbed like you,I know how you feel.It pisses you off big time.When I replaced my tools I engrave everything (in hard to get to places on the tools) with STOLEN FROM with my name and phone #. I know it won't stop them from steeling the tools but it makes it harder for the assholes to sell and it is a piece of mind. Sorry man.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

seems like alot of these thefts are going on in Texas..cant you all just shoot em down there?
    I know it would thin out the herd a bit ..and help out the local L.E.O. less shit for them to deal with

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As luck would have it I just came into a heap of second hand, but good Williams tools and a Miller 135/175 welder. I will sell them cheap.......

Or is it too soon for humor?

Sorry, I know how you feel. I lost ALL of my tools a few years ago, well over 10g worth, but I think you would have lost more than me. Good luck with getting it back.

Doc.

6. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

the kicker is there prolly being sold for 10 cents on the dollar

7. As I stated in another theft post... I'm a thief magnet, I've lost cars, tools and parts.The problem with recovering them is proving they're yours.

One car I had stolen in the 70's had new slot mags and new M/T tires. One of the rear tires had a cut where the body touched it in motion and had white rubber showing through the cut. I had a picture of my car with the wheels/tires on it and the cut was clearly visible.

A month after the theft I spotted the wheels/tires on a car at a gas station. Talked to the guy who owned it, telling him it was a nice car. When the subject came to the wheels, he had to hurry back to work and told me to get the FUCK out of here.

I blocked his car in with my car and called the cops, had my wife drive to the location with the photo of the wheels. Cops told me I needed serial #'s or a receipt or they couldn't help but they could tell something was wrong with the guys story.

Kinda funny, a close friend calls me a few days later and said the car the wheels are on, was on fire. I started laughing and asked him what he knew about it.

He says "somebody took a lit cigarette, put it inside of a book of matches, then threw it on the driver's seat but nobody will figure it out" Then his next comment was "that'll teach the asshole"

Now that's a true friend.
    I'm not condoning his actions but there is a belief called kharma.

8. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

know that's pay back he deserved

9. Jeff J

Jeff J

It would be nice if they would bring back the ROPE ! Like they use to do to horse thiefs!!

10. 54 savoy

54 savoy

you're in construction let all your subs know,i see guys all the time coming to job sites selling tools out of their trunk,we all need to mark our stuff ,i haven't done it but we have to have something to show "thats mine" to cops,sorry about your loss,

11. carma will get those bastards , thats to bad . i think that is fucked up when some asshole steels a man's tools

12. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Damb, this sucks. I know what it feels like. Had my house robbed a while back. It's like you've been violated. Best of luck getting your stuff back and we'll keep an eye out here in So. Jersey.:mad::(

13. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

It's been my experience, that there are a lot of criminals at job sites. It's the only work left for them.

If they enforced the rule where felons can't congregate, the roads would never get built :p

14. budd

budd

i had a couple things stolen the other day right in the daylight, it wasent worth more then $10, four plants that are part of my ironwork display, i had left my shop for about 1/2 an hour, when i came back it was 7:00 pm and there were two women trying to pull the plants out of a hanging basket, the plant was $12 at wallmart, well they just jumped in there car and drove off, i was to stunded to take down there plate number, well i put the basket away but still left these other almost totaly dead plants outside, the next morning they were gone, those women must have came back, like i said they were only worth $10, not even as they were almost dead from me not watering them, the really crazy thing was the hanging basket and hanger they were trying to pull the plant out of was worth $125, or thats what i sell them for anyway, the whole thing is so dumb. here a pic of the old container i turned into my displat, you can see the flowers when they were new. so now i have a camera and a tv with a vcr. geez

Attached Files:

15. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

wow, well goes to prove peoples ignorance to things, like they didnt even take the expensive stuff like reamers or micrometers, only what they new

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

They sell a program called "gotcha" that you can rig up to ANY digital still camera & computer and make the camera record either STILL photos or VIDEO. You set it up to be activated by MOTION so you're not having to watch endless video to get ot the parts you really want to see. All the settings are adjustable for sensitivity etc. All sorts of features to make it custom to your needs. I'm sure there are all sorts of similar products out there - this may not be the best, but I can say from experience that it DOES WORK!!

17. They just busted a guy locally they say was working out of his house as a fence, buying stolen tools and things from druggies for ridiculous cheap prices and reselling them for a huge profit. The guy's house was packed top to bottom with stuff they confiscated. The kicker? The guy is 77 years old.

Were I to guess that's where your stuff went is someone like that. Know anyone who might be a druggie who's been in the shop to see what you had?

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I had a trailer hitch ball stolen off of my truck while I was in a McDonalds. Funny thing was I know I cranked the nut on ball really tight before I left home so I know it must have taken some grunting to get it off. The $3 ball was bolted to a $35 slide in hitch that would have only taken two seconds to unclip but they left that but worked on getting the ball off. Go figure.

19. hopefully they left you at least one big wrench, so when they're caught, you can beat them to death with it!

20. budd

budd

does anyone have this kinds of system? you see then on ebay all the time for around $200 for a four camera one.

Attached Files:

21. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

i have seen those types of security systems, they up load to the internet so even if they smash the cameras they cant destroy the evidence

22. BBobb

BBobb

This is the Hamb. Politics and Hot Rods don't mix

23. lewislynn

lewislynn

Maybe but if he files a claim they'll probably cancel him or raise his premium to an unaffordable level...Of course that would be after they refuse to pay actual, real life replacement costs.

24. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

That really sucks. I hate thieves.

25. HotGarbage

HotGarbage
    from Texas

Yea its happened multiple times in the news and they won't charge the home owner since its on there own property.

Its unfortunate when anyone dies but this burglar got owned by a parrot.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/101707dnmetintruder.347b80b.html

That really sucks, like everyone mentioned go to every pawn shop and give them descriptions of everything that is missing or if you have any photos of the stolen items, check with the police and see if there has been any other burglary in the neighborhood.

You can also use this to search the surrounding towns on craigslist I would probably look under tools and search welder. It will also look at eBay.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

-Tony

26. HotGarbage

HotGarbage
    from Texas

Below are 2 search results for key words "welder" and "miller welder" with a price range of $5-$2000 and with a 350 mile area of your zip code. On the welder if you still have your manual or receipt it should have some type of serial number. If you have this contact the company and report it stolen.

I remember looking for a Valentine 1 radar detector on craigslist and the seller refused to provide the serial number so I could see if its been updated with the latest firm ware, he said he received it in a trade and the numbers were missing...which was a good sign that sucker was stolen.

http://www.searchtempest.com/result...=min&maxAsk6=max&minAsk8=10&maxAsk8=2000&doa=

http://www.searchtempest.com/result..._string=welder&keytype=all&search_string_neg=

27. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

Someone did the same thing to my brother. He didn't have much help from the cops. He wound up having to buy most of his own stuff back anywhere he could find it.

28. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

yea we arnt getting any help from the cops they took pictures walked around talked there asses off then left and we never heard from them again

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Not Revenue generating...you have heard the last from them..
    if it doesn't put money in the coffers..they aint interested,
    Oh but dont you dare go 10 MPH over the limit..$$

30. angrychairmen

angrychairmen

so i finally figured out my total loss of tools, $14,346.31
    f**K me