Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop alarm systems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOOB, Mar 19, 2009.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

And your point would be?
    Bend over and take it in the ass from a murder or thief so you do not have to go in front of the D A and have the charges dropped.
    This is not helping the person that had the break in . My last 2 cents

2. freelancecrashtestdummy

freelancecrashtestdummy

yeah i forgot shooting people is good clean fun... in Texas, sorry, I hate a theif too and i will kill anyone that hurts my family, but if your going to start a small armory to attack a theif, dont be fooled by tv that you will just be let go after they see you were defending youself is all i'm saying

3. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

I had someone break into my shop once and they didnt get anything because the motion sensors got them and sounded the siren.
    LOUD NOISE will usually scare off intruders,and since this is at your residence put up some signs that say"BEWARE OF THE OWNER" with the picture of the gun pointing at them or "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT" :D
    That will make anyone think twice before even thinking of breaking in.
    Any kind of dog with teeth and barks are also red flags for them to not even go there.
    Hook up a couple of small flood lights inside your shop,and 1 or 2 outside attatched with a loud horn connected to the motion sensors.Separate motion lights outside are always good for night time boogie men.
    You will maybe spend $50-$75 on all this stuff,not including the dog.
    Good luck.

4. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW I can't belive u actualy wrote this ... Don't be so judgemental. Personaly Having lived in both states I'm suprised more people don't carry guns here in the land of Fruits and Nuts. Oh wait my bad they do it is just the criminals that have them here in California everyone is so scarred here to stick
    Up for there rights in this state it is sad . I just moved from Santa Maria and kept my 20 gauge in the living room and my Nra sticker on the front door that was my secutity system I am realy suprisedliving on the central coast you haven't been robbed by a meth addict speacialy in paso the Capitol of stolen toolsand crackheads of the centralcoast .No one mentioned anything about a stock pile of wepons this is about a guy who's shop got broken into and wants some help and or advice about how to protect his lively hood let's stay on topic here.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Castle Doctrine....see if your state has it..if not..get to work on your states government to get with the program...read it live it understand it..and your constitutional rights ...all of them!

oh and dont forget to fight for them..you dont get to keep em laying down and hopin the "next guy" will fight for you

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I live in the country as well. Best thing would be to put up motion detector lights for one. Like above the door. And also a speaker/horn if door is opened...Obviously with horn and wires out of sight. That should be plenty enough to stop anyone from taking your shit...

I used to have outside dogs by my barn. But now that the dogs have passed away, I use a horn/speaker deal. Once door is opened so far, it goes off. I have a hidden switch to turn it off inside...I am not worried about someone opening the garage doors, just the entrance door. And a motion light, and or speaker/horn, will make any burglar run...

Hate to hear about your place...Would be nice to catch them and beat them. But then you would be in more trouble than they would be, with these BS laws anymore...

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

One other thing to remember is that , if your system is monitored by a Centarl station, they will call the Police upon activation and after they call your buiness/residence and do not hear the proper code. The Police here will Fine you for excessive false alarms and I think they should. Ask any cop. They run around on these False Alarms all the time. So get a good system

8. vertible59

vertible59

Yeah man...Dogs...BIG DOGS. Best damn alarm system ever. We live in the country at the dead end of a dirt road. People are forever abandoning pooches out here and we adopt them and take care of them. I know it is expensive to feed and care for them, but it is worth it to me. I enjoy their company. Anyhow, when we first moved here, we were broken into three times...house and shop. Now strangers think twice about opening a car door, when that car is surrounded by barking dogs!:)

9. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Radio Shack used to sell a plug in alarm box, that looked like a radio...about the size of a shoe box. You just put it on a shelf and plug it in. Set it at night, and all hell breaks loose if somebody enters the room or shop. VERY loud noises, etc. The barber shop I used to go to had one of these above the door.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Two words...Shark Ninjas

11. p0nyb0y

p0nyb0y

my security system , pitbulls and a 12 gauge. nothing scares someone more than the sound of racking one in the chamber.

12. TxMike

TxMike

In Texas we have the "Castle Doctrine" which allows us to not run in fear while some criminal attempts to steal our belongings or take our lives. It is ridiculous that you should be expected to hide in a corner and not defend your own home and property from a criminal while you wait for the police to arrive, in fear of a law suit or jail time.

Thanks Governor Perry

March 2007 article:
    "The right to defend oneself from an imminent act of harm should not only be clearly defined in Texas law, but it is intuitive to human nature. You ought to be able to protect yourself," Perry said, surrounded by lawmakers who pushed for the law.
    This is the first bill-signing this legislative session by the Republican governor. The law takes effect Sept. 1.
    "This is reasonable legislation," Perry said.
    The building or vehicle must be occupied at the time for the deadly force provision to apply, and the person using force cannot provoke the attacker or be involved in criminal activity at the time.
    Some refer to the measure as the "castle doctrine," drawing from the idea that a man's home is his castle and that he should have the right to defend it.
    Fifteen other states have passed similar laws. Texas is the first state to pass such a law this year, said Rep. Joe Driver, a Garland Republican who sponsored the measure.
    Sen. Jeff Wentworth, a San Antonio Republican who pressed the issue in his chamber, said the law changes previous Texas law that in some cases requires a person to retreat from an intruder.
    The new law will also provide civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in any of the circumstances spelled out in the bill. Police and prosecutors can still press charges if they feel deadly force was illegally used, legislative sponsors said.

13. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

Hey BooB

i have worked in the alarm/security industry since 1989. and i maybe able to give a little advice. as far as my shop goes, i have a couple of big dogs. i havent seen to many break-ins where large dogs were present. when you look at my shop its hard to tell where the door is and to get in you would have to destroy the door. always try to keep all overhead doors locked where it would be difficult to get anything out of your shop. i have a long rod that goes through the wall of my shop and through the doors. it is really just a piece of pipe, but if you look at it from the outside it looks like a garden hose holder. and when i need into my shop i just pull the pipe out of the wall. big sirens are great as long as you can't get to them, and destroy them. as far as cameras go, you dont have to spend a ton. sams club sells a cheep little camera system that will do the job. although mine is somewhat hightech yours doesnt have to be. as far as alarms go, get one. if your phone lines are located where they can be cut, get a cellular back-up. if your local police dept. has a 10 minuite responce time. my advice to you is to make your shop difficult to breakin to and difficult to remove your goodies.

good luck
    shawn young
    memphis tn.

14. Abomination

Abomination

Man, why not get a bunch of those electric-eye/motion detector deals that they put near the floor when they install a new garage door opener so that they don't squash your kid, and hook 'em up to a klaxon or alarm? You know, like those motion detectors that every mall Radio Shack had for years, only louder?

~Jason

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yep!..read post #35

Michigan got it Jan of 06

feel lucky theif?:eek:

16. After my third break in, I had a security company install an alarm. Glass break sensors, door sensors on all four of my doors, two motion alarms and a heat sensor....installed with a year of monitoring it was under $900. Very reasonable. monitoring costs me $18.95 a month paid once a year in full. I also got a DVR from Sam's Club for about $225 and four cameras off of ebay for about $350. It pays for itself the first time you don't get broken into. My deductable is $1000 and my insurance goes down about $300 a year for having a system so the yearly monitoring costs me nothing. You walk in the front of my shop and the system beeps. Everyone knows I have it and I have had ZERO major problems since. Matter of fact my cameras catch people all the time and i have had more than one person arrested for stealing scrap iron. Couple people get caught and it gets around FAST that I am nobody to mess with.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Security is something we should all resent having to provide for ourselves. I hate it but I have several way to protect what I work for. I too live in a rural area (I see a pattern on this board) but am fortunate to have enough neighbors within eye/ear distance and many of em are just plain nosey. So far the worse thing in 6 years was a couple kids tossed 2 of my dailys looking for cigarettes. I blame the next door neighbor...he keeps his cartons in plain sight on the console of his van and the dumb lil shits musta thought that's what everyone does. He's lost 3 cartons in the last 2 years. Not the brightest bulb on the xmas tree. Good thing he doesn't know shit about cars.

18. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Sounds like my pitbull...Vicious and dangerous breed my ass.... :rolleyes:

Honestly your best bet is going to be a "louder than Satan's asshole after bean night" siren. or a train horn that just blast till you shut it off (hook it up to a key switch or something and run it threw some door sensors.) If the sheriff said it's going to take up to 10 minutes to respond then something that'll scare them off that is loud as hell will be your best bet. Just don't borrow Dreddybears Bulldog or my Pitbull...:rolleyes:

19. donzzilla

donzzilla

A hard wired alarm system and camera's covering all the entry points will do good for the kids and amateurs that are going to come in. Dogs are good for the in experienced thief too. They are not the ones you want to stop. It's the experienced professional that's going to clean you out and do the most damage. The best locks and systems will not deter them. It will only slow them down. The absolute key to keep from having your stuff taken is time. No one wants to get caught. The more time it takes to get your stuff the better. A pro will case the place to see what their options are. Dogs are easiest piece to be removed from the puzzle. The day before some tainted meat will disable the dog. I haven't seen any dog that will not take meat thrown out of a car window when you weren't looking. The big siren, bells or whistles can be silenced the night or day when you are at work with simple spray foam insulation, or a cordless drill to the speaker. The camera's can be disabled by a bb gun in plain daylight when people expect noise to be made.NO noise to wake you up= more time. You have to slow them down with locks and booby traps, so to say. Visible locks are good. Locks or simple devices that prevent doors or windows from opening that can't be seen are better. Something as simple as a big pin over the door moulding that drops down into the door will baffle a lot of people. A big key with the locks. Don't stand out in plain sight and let people see you do this. The pro's will get in pretty easy in most cases. Once they are in you have to slow them down. I have seen a building locked up to the max and the crooks peeled the vinyl siding away and cut through the boards and dry wall with a hand saw to get in, in the back of a stick built garage, get in and have everything waiting by the door for someone else to drive up and haul it off in minutes. It's easy when it is all stacked by the door. Most internal motion detectors can be fooled by slow movement. Once near them they can be covered and rendered use less. If you take measures to slow them down like, turning the power off to the lights and locking them up. It's hard to take something when you can't see it. Spook them with mirrors placed around the building. When they flash their flash light at a mirror, they will take an additional moment to look and see what it is. If anything spooks them. They may re think it and run. Hanging stuff that will move helps that too. pieces of bubble wrap on the floor works wonders too. Lock and fasten everything you can down inside. Bolt your tool box to the floor or attach it to the wall the lock it up. Put a rivet or something in the drawer runners to prevent the drawers from being removed, so if they do get in the can't just dump the drawers in a box. Put more than one locking device on the important stuff. Try and make one of them invisible. Always remember if it takes you 5 -10 minutes to lock and secure everything up, it will take some one longer to un do it. Especially if they don't know what to do. If it takes 20 minutes it's even better. Another rule of thumb is. Don't get lazy. Lock it up all the time. You never know when it's coming. If you dream it up and think it will slow someone down. DO IT! Have body shop frame anchors put in the floor and chain the big stuff to 'em. Cars, bikes whatever. Put stuff in the yard around the building that will make noise. A lot of times they only focus on the building. Make stuff that they have to move that has something hidden behind it with nails or razors to grab a hold of. You know where the bad parts are, move it from a different spot. If you grab an old fender under a window to get in and your hands are shreaded, you may think twice about going in.

There are tons of things besides the obvious you can do. You ain't gonna here the pros or get a chance to shoot them and they have the shop dog wetting them selves in the corner with a big ol' slab of tainted meat. They are more prepared to hurt you than you are to hurt them. Remember, they are ready for this and have planned it. You just woke up and are confused.

Now after taking all the proper precautions to slow the thief down. DON"T TELL ANYONE WHAT YOU DID TO PREVENT THEM FROM TAKING YOUR STUFF!! Bragging to any one will give them the upper hand and speed them up. Your best friend that knows how to get in will tell the wrong person when they get pissed off at you. A thief likes likes a challenge. You sit at the bar and brag about all the stuff you did to slow them down. They are taking it in and following you home. Don't leave your stuff outside so passers by can see it either. They don't know if there's anything good to steal unless you show it to them.

Slow them down, make it hard to get in and make it harder to move the stuff. It's the best way. Popular easily accessible alarm systems speed things up. You put too much trust in them and not the important things.

Now get to work before they do! Zilla!

20. I have a couple of small dogs that think they are are as BIG as grizzly bears they sound off when any one pulls in .I had to introduce them to the UPS driver ever some of my customers pull in & start honking their horn They are worth the vet bills table scraps & dog food I even send one with the wife when she has to go to the city I also keep my 12 gauge loaded by the front door & yes we live in the sticks & our local sheriff approves of this

21. Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  22. Frank & Sara

Frank & Sara

Yeah, Jon is having the same problem out in Circleville at his shop. One theft and a vandalism incident. We have a few ideas in the works but nothing that&#8217;s 100% of course. Just making the shop an undesirable place to rob is only going to keep the honest people honest. You do have the advantage of being on site that will make your solution easer. I&#8217;ll be checking back on this thread.<o:p></o:p>

23. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Sorry to hear about your trouble...

Around here BRINKS will install a system for FREE for your home and shop with free equipment

doors, windows, glass and fire with telephone dial-up ............

You have to have a friend refer you to them and sign a years contract,for between

$25.00 - $30.00 a month.

After the first year ya can get it lowered to 19.95 a month with a phone call...

Works good for me so far (knock on wood).................

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Good relations with your neighbors and even better insurance. Locks only keep honest people out.

Oh yeah, high windows. Always have a different light on and leave a radio blaring. If they can't see in, it looks like somebody works late hours. If you're like me and you actually do, even better. A burgular would never know if there was a hammer claw waiting for em on the other side of the door.

Videotaping systems need to be carefully covered or they'll consider arson to remove evidence.

25. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Well, yesterday the farmer was in the middle of the field next to my house and saw a car with four people in it stopped in front of my house for about a minute and then slowly drive away. Who knows what they were doing. It could be someone just cruising looking at house but the farmer said that it seemed too shady. He was almost a quarter mile away and impossible to get close enough to get the plates. The ONLY traffic on my road is 3 farmers, 2 neighbors, county maint. workers and the occasional intoxicated high school kid.

It's stuff like this that makes it tough for me to sleep at night. My girlfriend works from home but leaves a couple times a week if needed. She's not the "quick under pressure" type and couldn't fight her way out of a wet paper bag. I don't mean to turn this into some type of blog or journal but I'm just about stressed to the max.

There are some heavy hitters in the area. Within a couple weeks 2 large shops, one rural one downtown, were completly wiped out... entire tool boxes, the largest of welders and all.

My shop was here when I moved in. It has too many windows and a garage style door. Both doors are barred and I'm currently working on the windows.

Thanks for taking the time to give your ideas and experiences. I'm considering all options.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  26. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

A security system can be intimidating, because you're afraid you'll miss something and leave a hole.

Just keep in mind that if you work on a car and make it run, much less build one, you can install what he's talking about.

Depending on your computer comfort level, you can also get some inexpensive IP cameras that will record motion to your home computer. I.E. a camera on your driveway and it will record every car that drives up. The downside is your home computer stays on all the time. I also recommend that you get one that can email pictures to a remote email address just in case bandits swipe your home computer, you'll at least have some snapshot pictures. You also need a small home network hub to tie your cameras and computer all together.

I have one of these and like it, run an old computer just for this task, and it has fair picture quality:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881102002

They also make a wifi version in the event you hate running cables (Just remember that others can intercept the signal)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881102003

27. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

Oh, I also meant to mention that while you're in this 'hot zone', you could probably hire an off duty sheriff's deputy to go by a lot, or even hang out. Many of them are volunteers and extra work like this is what they live for.

28. duste01

duste01

Talking from experience, what ever you do, whatever you have, if they want it bad enough they will come after it, especially if they know there is something they want is there. Your best bet is to make them think twice as they stop to look. If it too much trouble they will follow a path of lesser resistance and move on. been there and done alllllllll that. Get a dog too.

29. Brinks stinks, all you really need are their signs. Drive way motion sensors, when you hear the little beep go out and introduce your self.

30. The boat horn works, my Granpa used one for his store in the middle of nowhere, as long as it was hooked up, no burglaries.

Set the tripwire, smile to yourself when you know that if they do try to get in, they will need new eardrums, and panties too.