Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox upright/spindle flip.. I read all the other posts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 51fordor

51fordor

Just wanted to hear from the people who have done it... Is it worth a damn, or should I not waste my time and cough up the loot for the fatman/jamco stuff. I am on a tight budget and wanted to get my front bagged while the frame is out from under the body. I searched all the other threads and know it's been beat to death, but you read some people say it works well like the tech article said, or other saying it sucks. So I wanted to see if anyone has it currently and how they like it? Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Steering is heavier, but the fabricated spindles are exactly the same geometry, so they dont help that. the steering arms that are available are the key to getting reasonable steering effort. when you heat and bend the original arms you lose about 3/4" length, and this means you lose leverage ,hence the harder steering when parking. (its fine once you are rolling BTW). If you are reasonably confident you should attempt it. buying the fatman spindles would be money down the drain in my opinion.would you prefer a forged ford spindle, or a fabricated (welded) mild steel one?

3. 51fordor

51fordor

I am going to try it out and see what happens. Hell I like free alot better than almost $600.00. I don't mind the little bit of heavier steering as long as the handeling is still good. Thanks man!

4. I have done a set or two and i do not recomend it especialy with baggs as you will most likely end up with some kind of link pin alinenent issues and an incorrect camber setting. I personally do not recomend bagging any king/link pin suspension as its hard on the link pins and if yours are not perfectly in alineneint they will wear out very fast.

5. 51fordor

51fordor

How's the ride quality? Going to take my king pins out tonight and flip them. Will do all the heating and such once the car has some weight back in it.

6. 51fordor

51fordor

Well the initial pins came out easy, but the king pins are not budging. I pulled the end caps and have them soaking in PB blaster tonight. I need to buy stock in this stuff now...

Attached Files:

7. big creep

big creep

let me know how this works out for you? some say dont do it, but you are half way there. take the zerk fitting out, and spray in there too!

8. 51fordor

51fordor

Yea I have them pulled out now, just took the pics before. I am going to take pics of the process from start to finish since no one else ever really has. The only thing I am going to do a little differently then the tech article said is I will use jamco upper a arm mounts kit (http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/73/sfID2/39/sfID3/77/productID/698) instead of enlarging the hole on top. Seems for $45.00 this will make it a little easier to align.

cruiserbuddy likes this.
  9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

What ever happened with this?

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Where have all the old projects gone?

VANDENPLAS and 210superair like this.
  11. 210superair

210superair