Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox Steering Wheel Alignment

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chop50, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Hi All,
    I have rebuilt the steering box in my 50 Ford and installed an older Jamco kit (dropped king pin kit) Car drives very nice but unable to get the steering wheel to the correct horizontal position when driving ahead, I seem to be off about 45-deg. lower toward the driver side. I have tried adjusting the tied rod ends to correct for proper steering wheel position but am just about out of threads at both tie rod ends, this at closest point at the tie rod end itself even though the threaded section of the tie rod end in the link is quite long.
    Don't know what to do at this point.. I would have thought there would have been more thread showing at each tie rod...unless it has something to do with the Jamco spindles..?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Steve

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lift the front of the car off the ground so there is no weight on the wheels or front suspension and first adjust steering box play. That might solve your problem.
    If not, remove the pitman arm and "center" the steering wheel "lock to lock" left to right.
    Then reinstall the pitman arm and adjust the tie rods and drag link to fit the pitman arm.
    This may help too.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259881

This video isn't a Ford but, it will give you the background information.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  3. Move the key or grind the splines which ever your car has and move the wheel on the shaft.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021