Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox steering box replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadwelder, Jan 4, 2019.

1. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

I had picked up a 50 sedan years ago and sold it to a young guy here on the HAMB. The car had an old power steering setup, the one with the piston hooked to the cross shaft. Well the box is a 16:1 ratio and was used in 65 to 71 Fairlanes. It was adapted like a 140 series Volvo, which I always thought it was.
    http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html is the link to decode these old boxes.
    Something to look into. I'll dig deeper and follow up on this.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I would love more than anything to put P/S my 51 Merc. Thank you for posting this.

3. lowrd

lowrd

See if you can get into the old Custom Rodder magazine archives. Ganahl wrote an article about a steering box replacement in his shoebox. Started with a center steering from a FWD Chev and I think ended up with a Volvo box.
    Can't recall if it was power steering or not.

4. lowrd

lowrd

Custom Rodder magazine had an article way back when about using a Volvo box in a Ford. Don't know what year or model Volvo used. I think Ganahl wrote the piece. There was even a part about using a center steer box box from a Citation or similar style too.