Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox speedometer removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blakejr57, Oct 11, 2018.

1. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

Hi everyone,

Like most Shoebox owners, I discovered pretty quickly that my gauge cluster was essentially useless at night. After no small amount of research into the problem, it seems that getting rid of the dark filters that used to make the gauges glow is the solution.

When my speedometer quit working this week and I had to get in and start messing around with that cable, I figured that maybe it would be a good time to pull the speedo and do that too. So of course I started tearing into my dash. At this point I'm about halfway there but I can't for the life of me see what is the procedure to get that thing out of there. At first I thought it was a couple of little nuts accessed from the back side of the dash, but when I lay down on the floor and try to get my hands much less a little ratchet wrench up in there it just doesn't seem like that could be right.

In all of the multiple threads here and at Ford Barn that I read dealing with this problem, no one ever really said explicitly how to get the speedo out, just what to do with it once it's removed. So what am I missing? I can't tell if the feeling of "I think I'm doing this wrong" is correct or just because I'm inexperienced. Now that that thought has crept into my head I am having visions of an unnecessarily torn apart dash that I won't be able to put back together.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

2. evintho

evintho

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    brokedownbiker likes this.
  3. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

Exactly what I needed to see, although it looks like my suspicions were confirmed and it will require a lot of lying on my back and twisting into uncomfortable positions. Thank you very much for this

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Stooge

Stooge

I used one in an off topic car's dash that i built, but the cluster is all centered off of the speedo and the other gauges just piggy back off of its housing so thre isnt much chance to just remove the speedo. Theres 3studs that actually secure the housing and bezel into the dash, 2 on the side that are actually on the bezel and 1 stud at the top on the cluster housing.
    I thought i would have had some better pictures but you can sort of see the location of the studs 20150901_143208.jpg
    20150905_103757.jpg

5. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evintho, I can't thank you enough for supplying that link to the manual! It is going to make my life soooo much easier on my '51!