Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox rear window trim.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Halfdozen, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've just put all the glass into a '49 Ford coupe after a top chop. I'm having trouble with the stainless trim around the rear window, the trim is a bit misshapen, I haven't been able to get it into the rubber channel and have it stay there. Anyone have any magic for this? I'm assuming the trim goes on after the window is installed in the car, not before? Any special tools or techniques? Thanks.

2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

According to the shop manual, the trim should be installed on the rubber BEFORE the window goes in the hole.

3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here's the info from the "green bible"

They're available everywhere on the net.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

5. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

install trim first, also there are different trims and the seal must match. single groove and double groove.

6. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it.
    I had been told that the trim goes on after installing the glass, after trying it that way I don't think it's possible. I'll pull the window, install the trim, reinstall the window and report back.

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Install rubber on glass ,then install stainless in rubber then install glass in the car,are your fingers sore yet? it sucks mine had duel lips in the trim .I used nylon string to feed into the rubber.When you put the glass in it pulls in so tight you cant get the trim on

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a challenge to get it right but ,before is the only way to do it. Getting the join in the centre and not denting the trim installing the window, but it looks cool when done.

9. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mission accomplished, though not without some colourful language...
    I didn't want to glue the rubber to the glass as per the manual, I'd rather leave it loose to find its "happy place" in the opening. The Carpenter rubber is a bit big, the stainless trim is springy and a bit misshapen, and it's impossible to keep the dish soap lubricant off the glass, so trying to get the trim into the rubber slot without the rubber coming off the glass is like trying to wrestle a greased pig. Eventually I used rubber pads and mini vicegrip C- clamps to hold things in place, worked my way around the window and got everything into position. I then took the assembly outside and hosed off all the soap, blew out the rubber grooves with compressed air, and left it in the sun to dry and warm up for a bit. When the rubber was dry and warm it was sticky enough to stay on the glass and hold the trim in place until I got the whole works back into the opening with some soap and a piece of cord. Hope that helps someone else.

I'm almost afraid to ask, does the windshield trim have to go on the rubber and glass before installation also? The windshield is a much tighter fit in the opening and would be much more difficult and time consuming to remove and replace.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pretty sure its a yes for that too...

11. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here's from the book...don't know why half are crooked.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I bought a glass kit from some outfit at a goodgys show in Indy,WARNING the front glass was not cut square in tne center there by making the driver side kick up in the top corner wound up busting it.So I said thats it I am getting a glass guy to cut and INSTALL the new piece.lucky I still had the original glass for a pattern so he cut he new piece and whoop he busted it,thats when he found the other glass from the aftermarket place was the problem wasnt cut square you could see it plane as day