Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox R&P Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jun 20, 2011.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

Hey guys, has anyone here installed the fatman rack and pinion, a 302 and c4 while keeping the stock shifter (car came with 3spd w/O) on the tree and steering column?
    If anyone has done this, could you give me some pointers? and maybe some pics?
    I called fatman, and they said its really hard to do because of where the column has to be cut. Just thought there has to be someone on here that has done this.

Thanks.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I haven't done it...BUT....it will require several mods. !. you have to make or buy a clamp/bracket/fitting to hold the lower portion of the column to the firewall where it passes through. 2. You need a suitable bushing or bearing to support the steering shaft inside the bottom of the steering column tube. 3. A suitable u-joint affixed to the steering shaft you have cut off at or below the shift mechanism. Actually, the order of these is not necessarily correct, but these are the main factors. 4. an intermediate shaft to go from the u-joint mentioned above to the u-joint at the rack.

Ray

3. I have done it on a 52 Merc.

The column needs to be cut close to the firewall (about an inch sticking out).

I added a plate(welded) to the column that bolted to the floor (there is a removable plate at that location already)

I had a bushing made for the end of the column to support the bearing that I used to support the steering shaft. It had 3 set screws to keep the shaft in place.

It requires a double u-joint on the r&p and a single at the column. It also requires a support bearing on the shaft between the u-joints.

4. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks guys, you wouldnt happen to have any pictures of it?
    The bracket to hold the stock Steering and Shift Column i kind of have drawn up in my brain.
    the bearing part haha is a whole other problem.