Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox inline six swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 90LXdiaz, Apr 25, 2021.

1. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

I have a 51 shoebox with a 226 flathead six with a split header and straight pipes. Although it runs good and has a great sound, it lacks power and the aftermarket support it has is pricey and extremely rare. Id like to keep it 6 cyl for the unique sound and look.
    Not looking to win any races, just looking to have a little more grunt than the flathead six can offer so a v8 is not an option. Too many v8's around.
    Anyone has actually done a 215/223/262 swap? There is a couple for sale in my area and i'd figure it would be an easy swap into the shoebox as the 215 came in '52 and would bolt on to the factory running gear. I was even thinking of a maverick 250 swap for the extra torque. Anyone done that? Pics would be greatly appreciated.

And as of previous threads I've read on here, 240/300's are too long.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

don't screw around, get a Ford 300, or even better, a Chevy 292 4sale-7.jpg

6inarow likes this.
  3. I was involved in a couple of those swaps many many moons ago helping a man that bought cars, fixed them up, and sold them. From that cloudy memory, the 215/223 option is the easiest. It requires using the motor mounts, bell housing, flywheel, and starter from that engine. I remember having to drill holes in the front cross member for the motor mounts, as well as using a car oil pan. The original z-bar and radiator should work. Your transmission and rear axle should handle the extra power if in good shape. The 262 was only used in big trucks, so I think the front damper/pulleys and oil pan differ. A later 250 would require more changes probably.
    The 215/223 suffered the same design flaw as the Y-blocks that came after- valve train oiling issues. If looking at a used engine, make sure the rocker shaft and rockers are not worn out. While they are good little engines, parts are not cheap, and performance stuff is hard to find. Good luck with your project

Tim likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to remember another thread on this exact subject and a 300 is just too long. I may be wrong, but it would be something to check first. If one will fit, it would be an excellent choice. Those are great engines. I had one in a Winnebago Class "A" motorhome once and while it was seriously under-braked, it was not under-powered.

I just cannot see another Chevy in a Ford.

Hnstray likes this.

5. I don't see where the 215/223 will gain you much performance without dumping tons of money into them. The 262 is a brute, but many parts are NLA....
    Why not just hop up the 226 a little more? Shave the head, have the cam reground...

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Another vote here for a 300 Ford. It has so many advantages over any other six cylinder choice, including 4" bores and lots of both factory and aftermarket hop up parts options.
    Regarding the extra length of a (300) six - V8s have their front end accessory drives like alternator, PS, etc. located in front of the front cylinders. Sixes have them located beside the #1 cylinder. I put one in a Falcon.
    The fan may be replaced with an electric one. Even the H2O pump can be remotely placed if necessary.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

There is also the v8 option. Might be easier and cost the same.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford made quite a lot of V6’s. You can keep the sound and keep the hood down. Everything modern attached, auto OD, alternator, AC etc. not hamb friendly but without mentioning the power plant it won’t matter.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  9. Have you tried to find a 254 Ford six?

It is the same family as the 226 and the same physical size. 254s came in big trucks 1948 – 1952 and power units.