Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox guys! I need help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Jan 11, 2005.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Working on putting a 302/AOD in my 49 coupe..Right now I'm in the parts gathering/researching stage of all this fun..I already found and engine and trans, I have the kit to put it in, now the questions..What do I do for a radiator? Mustang I heard? What year? I think I found a rearend, seems I read somewhere 57 inches was about the right width, sound right? I haven't got out there to measure yet..I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere, what has been used in the past for these cars? Anything else I'm forgetting? Any information anybody may have will be greatly appreciated..
    -Cody

2. old beet

old beet

For a rear end, Mustang or Falcon is nearly a bolt in..8 inch............OLDBEET

3. Take your stock radeiater and have the hose nipples changed to work with the 302.
    The Wizzard

4. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

check your pms bigdog

5. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Radiator: Find a stock 6 cyl. unit for 49-51 with the upper radiator panel. I have both if you need them. The 6 cyl. units are large and will cool a 302 just fine. It cooled my 302 before I tore it out and put my flathead in.

Rear: 57" is correct. You can use any of the following: '71-'77 Maverick 5 lug 8", its actually 56.5". It will bind up the leafs slightly, but its not hardly noticable. Note: The 8" from the Maverick will need to have the stock shoebox wheel centers hogged out slightly to bolt onto the axle correctly. Found this out after I did the Maverick swap in my '51.

6. Brickster

Brickster

[ QUOTE ]
    Note: The 8" from the Maverick will need to have the stock shoebox wheel centers hogged out slightly to bolt onto the axle correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you can turn the center hub down to fit the wheel and leave a small step to center the drum. That way you don't have to modify all your wheels if you ever want to rotate them.

7. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome idea, Brick. Actually, a much better idea than modifying the rear wheels. I just have mine bolted on as far as they'll go on my parts car, but to make them fit correcty turning the axles down would be the best solution. [​IMG]

8. daren

daren

You can use the stock radiator just fine. Just block off 2 of the hose outlets. Be prepared to space it forward a few inches though for clearance. Like was said above, if you can get your hands on a 6 cylinder radiator it will work better, they were spaced forward from the factory. Now about cooling, mine cools fine going down the road but it tends to heat up in traffic. If you can find a later model radiator that will fit it will probably be better.

Find a 5 lug 8" rear from a maverick, drop it on the springs, get a drive shaft made, easy money. Now if I was installing an AOD like you, i'd keep the original 4.10 rear until you broke it or something.. That baby would really pull off the line quick, and you have the overdrive for highway use.

9. ok, but which oil pan is he going to need? and will it clear all the drag links if left stock? [​IMG]

10. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

He will need a rear sump pan and pickup tube to clear the stock steering components. Old bronco units are popular for this, cheap and fairly easy to find. I'm not sure how much bigger a AOD is than a large case C4, but when I had the 302/C4 in my shoebox, it was damn tight against the firewall. May want to think about the possibility of having to do some firewall and tunnel work.