Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox fuel tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Has anyone modified a stock Ford shoebox fuel tank to run a electric fuel pump inside of it?

Thanks

2. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

Why go to the effort? Just run an externally mounted fuel pump. What psi are you trying to run? Are you running a carb or fuel injection?

3. I'll be running stock Ford fuel injection (from a 91 Crown Vic).
    I have read about putting a pump on the frame rail as long as its below the tank itself.
    I have asked a couple of local guys I know and they said it has it pro's and con's.
    Therefore I was curious if anyone had put an in-tank pump in the stock fuel tank.
    I have two, so I'm not afraid to cut one up.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if the crown Vic tank is steel or plastic , but I have done it on an original shoebox tank and cut the sender pump return part out of the donor tank as well as the surge chamber on the bottom of the steel donor tank that way all the bits match. Then check measurement and weld it all back together. A bit of work sure but all works great. At almost zero cost.

5. Kiwi, by any chance do you have any pictures?
    Was there plenty of clearance between the floor and the top of the tank?
    I still have the fuel tank out of the Crown Vic (it's metal), so no problem cutting it up.
    Thanks

6. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

There shouldn't be any issues with running an external fuel pump with the original shoebox tank. Those external pumps are set up to pull fuel from the tank & push it up to the engine. Be sure the tank is clean & run a filter between the tank & pump. Just use a good quality pump like depending on the fuel pressure needed at the engine. Off the top of my head, I believe the fuel pressure on an early 90s Crown Vic was supposed to be around 40psi KOEO, & 30psi KOER. For $150-$200 & an hour of time, you're done. Unless you have access to all parts from both cars, a lot of time, & patience (unfortunately I don't) then do as Kiwi did. Just be careful because welding on a fuel tank is always sketchy (even fumes can ignite!) Also, getting it sealed 100% w/o pin holes can be challenging if you don't do a lot of welding. Good luck on your shoebox build!

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry no pics. There was not much space between floor and tank. It was a bit of work . Washed and aired tank thoroughly then ran a tail pipe exhaust through both tanks . No issues . But putting in the surge chamber meant cutting a strip 3" wide and 14" long out of the shoebox tank and ensuring it was in correct alignment with the pickup. Just spent time getting cuts in close alignment for the best weld. Question if you run an external pump do you need to run a separate pump from the tank to an external surge chamber with the efi pump picking up from there or is this unnecessary ?

8. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

Unnecessary. All vehicles ran on this type of fuel system from the moment the gravity fed carbs went away in the 30s & until the in tank electric pumps went into use in the 80s. All you are doing is using an electric pump on the frame rail instead of a mechanical pump mounted on the engine. The only thing you'll need to pay attention to is the fuel pressures needed by the engine vs. the pressure the pump puts out. You may need to use a fuel pressure regulator to obtain the exact pressure needed.