Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox ford suspension mods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KomoG2, Aug 12, 2013.

1. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

I have a '50 ford that I want to upgrade and update the front suspension. I have to replace a lot of factory stuff anyway, worn out. Looking for spindle to spindle or there abouts. What are some of the options that you guys have tried out? I'd like to add air bags after words. Thanks!

2. yblock292

yblock292

I just rebuilt the stock front end with areo star springs, like the way it drives.

3. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

How much do you want to spend?

4. 68vette

68vette

I subframed my 51 with a 1984 monte carlo front clip....worked great.

Attached Files:

5. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

At the moment dadsblueford not an arm and a leg. What do you have in mind? I'll be tearing it apart today. See exactly what I need to replace as of now.

Yblock292 I have Aerostar springs in it already with stock suspension.

68vette I like that stance. Kind of what I'm looking for right now.

6. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Lots of options. Kanter has a couple of rebuild kits if you want to keep stock suspension, $3-400. You already have the aerostar springs.

Then there's the Fatman drop spindles and steering arms kit. I got mine from Gambino Kustoms, he has pretty good pricing on them. He also sells them on ebay too. I think he gives a HAMB Alliance discount as well, but not on the ebay sale.

I've seen threads somewhere here, or maybe just some pics in another thread, of guys that have modified their stock arms for airbags.

Jamco has their "Ultra Cruise" kit that converts to ball joints and I believe can be set up for airbags. A lot of people here badmouth Jamco, but I bought my 302 mount kit from them and got it quickly. I did make the sales guy on the phone physically go check that he had them in stock. That kit is pretty spendy, but you can also just get the control arms and piece together the rest of it.

Fatman also has a front subframe kit, about $2500-3000 altogether, that can be coilovers or airbags.

Then there's the S-10 front subframe. This is the cheapest way to change out to a more modern IFS, but for me I don't want to cut the frame and don't really want Chevy parts or Chevy bolt pattern on my car.

Good luck, and put together a build thread!

7. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Thanks dadsblueford I think I might do a more bolt in set up like a mustang ii front end. Bags can be put off till down the road. I have a build thread but I just have a questions on what others have used or know works from time to time.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know of a bolt-on MII setup for this car. I am not sure that it is possible. The frame where the control arms are, is too wide. The MII kits that are out there have a replacement frame rail section that you weld-in, to re-shape the frame.

[​IMG]

I would rebuild the stock stuff. I have done the S10 clip too. It is a bunch of work, and you will probably have to rebuild that suspension, too.

9. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Ok cool thanks for the info gimpyshotrods.
    If everyone thinks the stock stuff is good enough to run even with a bag set up then Ill just rebuild all my joints and get new shocks.

10. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i used dropped spindles with aerostar springs, and i got the rear springs dearched with 3 inch blocks (frame needs c notch), and i think if use a 51 shackle it lowers it a lil bit more also