Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoebox ford skirts are rubbing the tires.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ab_51Ford, Apr 29, 2024.

1. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Anyone had trouble with their skirts rubbing the tires? I think they are foxcrafts. They were close when I first installed them so I actually notched the skirts themselves right where the tires would be closest. It has the original rear end, so it's not wider, 670-15 tires so not extra wide either. Do I just need to massage the bottom sides out a bit more? I'd appreciate any advise.
    - Andrew

Attached Files:

3quarter32 likes this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Body sway causes the rubbing.
    Rather than notching your skirts, could you change the backspacing of the wheels?
    OR
    Curve the bottom lip of the skirts outward just a little to provide more clearance. This may require cutting and welding so as to recontour the present bottom lip of the skirts.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  3. I don't have any advice on your skirt problems, but I do like the way the ass end of that Ford looks!!
    What rear bumper are you using?

Uribe likes this.
  4. I had the stock Ford and Mercury cut down skirts on my 49 Ford Coupe... never had a issue,, hmm

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Because the body curves in from the halfway mark and down, this puts the skirts closer to the tires.
    Maybe?
    Either raise the back end or cut the skirts.

6. Oneball

Oneball

What’s the condition of your spring and shackle bushes like?

Tim likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Shoebox Fords came with 6.70 tires? Sounds big to me, but I’m no expert.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup shoebox Fords came new with 6.70's. Are the wheels stock or maybe wider???

9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went thru that problem on my 55 bird at one point. It only rubbed on the left side on a left turn. Careful measuring showed the body wasn’t centered on the frame. On a 4 post hoist with the body lifted and some dunnage and bottle jacks, and the bolts loosened (I could get to all of them, and none were frozen) I was able to shift the whole body. Surprised me how easy it was. Next step is to look at the room for backspacing and move the wheels in if possible. As above the shackles and bushings

That looks too good the way it is to modify the outside.

williebill and Oneball like this.
  10. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

1954 Lincoln

leon bee and Jrs50 like this.
  11. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Air ride and a triangulated 4 link

12. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Stock wheels

13. Oneball

Oneball

Still worth checking the bushes or Rose joints. Even if they’re not that old.

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

If centering the body doesn’t help consider this. 3/4 X 3 inch strip of mulberry or Bo dock. Cut a slot mid way on the 3/4 side. About 1/2 deep. Sand a radius to the amount you need to clearance. Very gently roll it to clear. Did this on my 57 Chevy and it radiused the lip perfectly and didn’t touch the paint. ( my paint was xxxx anyway )but you get the point. I gained 3/4 of an inch on distributor to firewall clearance on a 57 simply by loosening the body bushing and shoving backward so do not rule the previous suggestion out.

15. Bend them out in the middle about 1/2 in and they won't rub