Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox face

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbbronc, May 16, 2011.

1. bbbronc

bbbronc

I need to do something different with the front of the shoebox. The previous owner rolled the front, and I don't like the way it looks. I have the front bumper and I was thinking about flipping it, narrowing it so it fit flush to the fenders and setting it back in closer to the car. maybe mold it in? I was wondering if any of you have done this and or have advice or pics.

This is what it looks like now

[​IMG]

Any advice is helpful.

thanks, Danny

2. i flipped the front bumper on mine didnt like it so turned it back over

i did pull the bumper in closer to the body by 21/2 inches i think it looks better

dont think id mold it in itd be too 80's streetroddy for me

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Can't say that I like the rolled look either - I'd go back to the stock front valance & bumper

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, install stock valance and bumper-get stock '51 grill and upper bar or get a '49-'50 hood-pic of my '51 with bullet and '50 bumper-sold 'em and going back to '51 bumper and custom grill

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

rolled front valance and molded bupers are 80s/90s street rod mods, and you dont want them in a cool custom.
    I say go back to stock bumper while figuring out a custom grille and grille opening.

6. bbbronc

bbbronc

Well 80's/90's street rod is not the look I want on this car. I like the '49 grill, but the bumper sticks out so far and wide it reminds me of a cow catcher on the front of a train. I have another valance off of the '49 car to put on.

7. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

A stock '49 grill is pretty hard to beat.

Attached Files:

8. What he said...just for Gods sake don't paint it :eek: !!!

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That thing is so slick. You cannot get better than a stock shoebox grill and i agree don't paint it you will screw it up

10. CCould leave the pan and give it nerf bars like Valley Custom did the Dunn Ford back in the '60s. [see TRJ#44] You would want to loose the goofy looking Ford grill though to make it right.

its not the pan that's hurting it it is the shoebox grill that takes away from it.

11. bbbronc

bbbronc

I want to keep the '49 grill, definatly not painting it but I may rechrome.
    are '51 bumpers different from 49 or 50?

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

All three years have different bumpers and different guards. '49 is the plainest, '51 has a stiffening rib along its length. I like '50s best.

[​IMG]

13. bbbronc

bbbronc

I think I might look for a '50 bumper, use the original pan, '49 grill and try to find a 49-50 hood

here is my bumper

[​IMG]

and how the car looks as of today

[​IMG]

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A word of caution: There are SIX different gravel pans for shoeboxes -- different each year, and different from sixes to eights (radiator location). You want one that is the same year as the grille you're using.

15. bbbronc

bbbronc

The pan I have is the same year as the grill but it is from a 6 cyl car.
    I have the flathead can I modify it to fit or do I need to find a v8 pan?
    btw do you know of a source to buy a gravel pan new? do they even make them? or is it junk yard time? I apologize for all the questions, I am new to these cars, my experience is in 4x4's. all your info is much appreciated.

16. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Huh? Can you prove this...I've never seen any differences besides the obvious '51 being completely different than '49-'50 pan. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never run into any differences or problems and my shoebox has '49 fenders with a '50 valance pan...I know the 6 cyl. radiator was farther forward...

17. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

I let my mechanic do what ever she wants.:)

[​IMG]

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No, I can't prove it. I put a '50 grille in my '51, and initially supposed that I could use the '51 pan that I had. The problem was with the stainless piece that fits below the grille and completes it visually; the '50 stainless would not fit properly on the '51 pan. When I looked into part numbers, I found that different #s were listed for '49 and '50 as well as '51. There are some obvious differences (and some less obvious ones) between the '49 and '50 grilles, and I would guess that the pan differences between the two years are are related to the outer corners of the grille.

I was fortunate to find an NOS '50 pan. This was around '95, and I don't remember where I bought it.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The 6 cyl pan should work OK for you, but there will be a gap between the radiator (assuming that it's mounted in the stock V8 location) and the pan.

I would try the various obsolete Fort Parts vendors to find one (Sacramento Fort Parts, Concours Parts, C&G, etc), if you decide to change it. I was fortunate to find an NOS one, but it shouldn't be a terribly difficult part to find. I don't know if anyone makes repro ones, but I kinda doubt it.

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

narrowed the bumper, moved it back a bit, and lowered it an inch. The grill is made of parts from 49 and a 50.
    [​IMG]

21. There are minor differences in all three years. Obsolete Ford has all shown in their 49-51 catalog. They are excellent catalogs for identification but also very expensive to buy from. The grille in my '51 cost over $1,500.00 :eek: and that did not include the complete parking lights.
    I would keep that '51 hood because it does not have the V shape cut that the '49 and '50 have and if you do go to custom grilles, most of them look better without the hood V. My 2 cents :D.

22. bbbronc

bbbronc

This is exactly what I was looking for. I think that looks good. What year is the bullet surround? I had heard they were different diameters between 49 and 50.

Don't think I'm going to do a custom grill yet but, seeing Da tinmans' car
    I might keep the 51 hood anyway

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My version, just made this winter..Bumper to mount on chrome dogbones..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

the bullet and surround are 50, I think the only difference is how the wings mount, I know there is a dif but dont remember exactly what it was, diameter is the same though.

25. rodknocker

rodknocker

The 49 bullet surround is deeper, and the 50 is thinner and not so deep. I really like your grill Tinman, I have a great idea for mine I just need to find a better quality 49 bullet surround, once I do,and it all works I'll post it.
    Also read this complete thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296506

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  26. thesupersized

thesupersized

wow, I'm surprised many people actually like stock 49-50 grills, i think it's one of the worst parts of a shoebox and in my opinion, leaving it alone in a custom is a big no no for me. there's just so much you can do to a front end of a shoebox ford, do something with it!

here are some that look better to me....

Attached Files:

27. try the 1956 olds look.
    tony:cool:

Attached Files:

• nose.jpg
      nose.jpg
      File size:
      292.1 KB
      Views:
  28. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

I don't think they repop the gravel pan..the one you had should work you may need to be modify a bit..it would be cheaper than buy a V8 one

29. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

It's true..I had several pans..I measured 2 from a 50 one from a 6 cyl car and V8 car..and got two different measurements..

30. badshifter

badshifter

The ONLY parts on a 49 and 50 grille that are the same is the center bullet with the 6 or 8 in it, and the center upper curved piece. All the rest of the parts are different, including the apron/valance and the bumpers as mentioned.
    Black one is a late 50, with a 49 grille and 50 bumper, tan one is late 50 all stock with guards, green one is early stock 50 with fog lights:

Attached Files: