Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox door Latch ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Poopbox, Mar 21, 2011.

1. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Alright, so i just bought a '50 Shoebox. The previous owner shaved the door handles and installed solenoids to factory latches. I want to put in Bear Claws because it is my understanding that they open easier and are more reliable.

My question is, will the automatic bear claws large fit in the door or do i have to run the latch and a remote solenoid? I believe what i have in the car already is the autoloc kit with remote opening(not functioning, assuming bad solenoids or relays/both).

Looking for help on what works best, please chim in if you have an opinion one way or the other. Thanks guys.

2. customrod48

customrod48

I used stock door latches on my 50 and have had no problem with the way they latch/unlatch. Been in for 5 yrs. I would recommend modifying the latch lever so the action to open the door is straight down, where the solenoid is, instead of at a90 degree angle (stock action). If you need details, call me at 608-839-5397.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Unless worn out completely stock door latches work just fine for all old cars. Sometimes the latch is not the problem but the striker plate is worn out.

4. never had a problem with stock latches (even on my 50 ford) may need some adj. or look at door pins (worn out)

5. fms427

fms427

I used the large bear claw latches on my shoebox convert - much better operation than stock. But, not much space in there - latch is right up against the window channel. I did not use the attached solenoid because of space concerns. Currently have inside door handles operating latches - since top is always down haven't yet electrified them - but maybe when I run out of other projects........ Sorry, no pictures, but using the install kit is not very complicated.

6. bantam

bantam

I put Ford Taurus latches in my shoebox when I shaved the door handles. I had a little slop in my factory latches and they needed replaced/repaired anyway.

7. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Thanks, for the help guys. The hinge pins are definetly worn out on my car, I have a 70's GMC hinge rebuild kit on the way. I didnt want to have to go to bear claws yet cuz the car is painted already and I need it to stay on the road for a few more months before I start really getting into it. I figure I might be able to do the install and not hurt exterior paint, maybe just prime the jams until Im ready to re-paint the car.

8. fms427

fms427

Shouldn't have a problem installing latches without hurting exterior paint. 47 I did was a finish painted car - jambs are still primed about 10 years later..............:D