Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox custom wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pins&Needles, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Can someone tell me more about this shoebox wagon custom? It was at the road zombies bbq this year (and apparently last). I'd like to know more about who built it, and how? If you have more (better) pics please post em up!
    thanks,
    Chris

[​IMG]

2. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

it looks like 52-54 ford wagon with front fenders and a pillar from a shoebox

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Its cool for sure!

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Cool looking Wagon Fer Sure,

But whats up with the Cow Catcher front bumper ?

5. shuweet61

shuweet61

From Castroville. Campos Auto Body I think.

6. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Nice! does anyone have any more pictures of it...? It left the show pretty quick and by the time I got back around with the camera it was gone.

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Pins, Oscar Padilla @ Campos collision in Castroville..831-633-6546
    He also owns Campos Customs, same #..
    It is a 51 2dr sedan with a 53 wagon roof grafted on...all on a 92 s10 chassis running the vortec 4.3 and 4l60e trans.. Channeled 10 " and Bagged ..It will lay on the rockers ( rockers are 3/16 " thick ).
    Come on down the coast and get the shop tour !
    I helped him with the body swap and channel...When he started on the wagon roof I kinda stepped away..
    Cool car
    Dave

8. Rikster

Rikster

Don Dillard photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos by Eric...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That is bad,i saw it a GNRS and it perked alot of interest.From what i heard it had the rear body grafted on to the shoebox front.

Attached Files:

10. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

So.... I'm trying to figure it all out... is it a 52/53 wagon that they put the front end of a shoebox on and then peaked the roof? Or is it a 51 sedan that they added the lower portions of 52/53 rear quarters to, and grafted on the top?

Does anyone know if the width is the same on the 49-51 shoeboxes and the 52/53 wagons? Could you hypothetically just put the front end of a shoebox on a 52/53 wagon? Would you need to use a shoebox cowl/ doors?

11. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Here's some pictures of 52/53 wagons for comparison. What do ya think? It also looks like the rear quarters on the shoebox wagon start to drop on the if you look at one of the side profile pictures... why is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That thing is cool and the merc front bumpr dont hurt either!

13. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

That thing is cool ass hell once I ever get back to work I wanna get another shoe box but this time it will be a wagon for sure.

14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

So whats to figure out??
    As I said above, its a 51 sedan with the 53 wagon roof and rear quarters grafted on....
    Just left Oscars body shop and he's stoked to see his car on the HAMB!
    If you want to measure it or just check it out....call me 831-262-7294 or Oscar 831-633-6546.
    You are welcome down here anytime,, All HAMBERS,hot rodders,car nuts ETC...
    Dave

15. you had to channel it 10" and bag it to get it to lay rocker?? Was the frame a 4x4 s-10????

looks good anyways .

16. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I was trying to figure out if the width on the 52/53 was the same as a 49/51... and if he had just added the front end to a wagon or cut both cars up and put everything onto a shoebox? Are the door shoebox? Is the front half of the roof shoebox? Did he have to take some meat out of the wagon to get it to work? This is one of the first wagons that is chopped that I like, and doesn't look cartoonish! Just trying to figure out how he got it all acomplished that's all.

17. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

KNG, Lets just say Oscars motto for his own personal cars is " If a little is good, then a lot is better !
    With it laying on the rockers it still has 3 " travel..LOL.

Pins, the doors are the sedan doors, and the roof is wagon except for the front 18" or so.
    He chopped the wagon to get the proportions right and then cut it off and grafted it to the sedan.
    If you stand back and look @ the overall shape it kinda looks like the new dodge wagons, with the swoopy roofline.
    Oscar has pics of most of the build.. I will see if i can figure out how to post them..
    Dave

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Now That Sounds Super Bitchen !

I hope No One is around if there is ever a problem with the bags at Speed.

I dont understand,You could make a car drop on Air so its about aninch of the ground & it will Still look super low... Why drop it all the way ?

Neat Lookin Wagon anyway...

19. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I should clarify....3" travel BEFORE I had him install the bump stops.. LOL !
    Dave

20. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

21. Definitely interested to see the build shots. Very cool car.

I'm considering a frame swap on my '51 sedan. Got any more info on how the S-10 went in?

22. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

23. Saw it at GNRS and it definitely caught my eye