Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox chop hardtop pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Mar 29, 2008.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Found these 2 cars in another current thread, anyone have more info on em? Dont appear to be the same car, but its late and I dont know.

I wanna say that the copper car was Bill Hines or Lee Pratt? Something like that.

Never really liked the hardtop shoeboxes, but it seems you can go more radical with em and retain the rear window near stock location just layed down making the car's proportions seem long enough to whack that much outta the roof.

Any other nice ones done?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

most all look like shit at the front of the door where they meet the a pillar

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah thats true, but I can paint it dark. Or put one of those burger trays with the crybaby kid on it up round there.

4. Johnnyboys65

Johnnyboys65
    from Antioch,Ca

Hey unionvillehaunt ! this is my old shoebox, I started the car about 8 yrs ago and sold it right after the San Francisco rod & custom show in 2002....
    Frank Derosa did the hardtop chop and they featured it in Custom Rodder How to chop a shoe box into a hardtop, I cant remember what issue it was put pretty much a step by step feature that was pretty cool, I do know he chopped it 6 inches in the front and like 8 or 9 in the rear...............

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wow...power of the HAMB! Thanx man! I am going to PM you.

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You know, I wasn't a real fan of the hardtop style chop...but *wow* those cars look good!!! Those are smoooooooooooth!

Hmmm wonder how you get the glass to work right...Tomorrow I'll take a look and see if I'm really attached to my b-pillars :D

7. weez

weez

That copper car is the best hardtop i've seen, I really like that car, but I'm surprised no one has tried to clone the chop on the Buster Litton car, that's a great roof and I'm not sure how it was done, it's like coupe roof but without the tight curve. No one has come close to that roof, that I've seen. Maybe the side rails of the roof are from something else?

8. 65Riviera

65Riviera

i like the look, but like you say johnny1290, gettin the glass to look right (let alone work) makes a difference.

anyone have pics of the '51 vic hardtop with a chop? i don't know if i've seen one...

weez, you got a pic of the buster litton car, i'm not sure i've seen that.

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'll second that, I'd like to see the buster litton car too!

65 riviera: I know I've seen a early 50s chevy hardtopped with glass, they slid it into the rear quarter area so it was removeable, I think it had a chrome strip attached to the forward part and a rubber gasket for the front door glass to seal into...ok too early for me to think this hard, I'd like to just see pics of how someone else did it :D Id bet most hardtops just don't have any side glass....but they don't live in my neighborhood, off the sunset strip...without glass i'd have people living/puking in my car in no time at all! :)

10. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Here's a couple stolen from shoeboxford.com, attributed to Barris in '53 rod n custom...very interesting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 65Riviera

65Riviera

yeah i'm pretty sure the hirohata's side glass was like that i think it looks cool, but like you say a lot run without glass. i live in la too and i'd be afraid to leave it anywhere without glass:D

not crazy about the grill, but i dig everything else on that barris ford...

12. That's the Litton shoebox....fantastic car.

I dig the Joe Bailon ford too...

[​IMG]

I found that pic in a cool thread by the Frenz when I was looking up the history of a chopped Vicky. I might post that later.

I believe this is the car that Hines chopped...

[​IMG]

It was owned by a HAMBer for a while...it was a suede maroon and ran with the hood...sold a couple years ago..
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151513

Bryan

13. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

that shits sick right there, i usually dont like chops on shoebox fords but i think i just really dig the front clip on this one.....

14. old beet

old beet

Hardtopped cars with no side glass are lame! Just shows they don't think ahead. Factorys have been puttin glass in them for about 60 years. Give it some thought!....OLDBEET

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

16. I guess only glass guys can figure it out eh Beet. my plymouth is wagon is hardtopped and the quarter glass will roll just like factory with a 5 inch chop. I posted several times on the subject but I guess I'll have to do a step by step tech on the next one I do....
    www.oldcarglassguy.com