Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox bumpers fit all years ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Jun 1, 2016.

1. It's about time to get some bumpers for "The Judge" ('49 Coupe) and I'm just wanting to confirm that a '51 bumper will fit a '49. Seems as if the curvature should be the same, but thought I'd ask before I spend more money...ahahha....Going to have to make the brackets anyway, so bolt locations don't matter (refabbed rear frame and S-10 front frame). Dennis Carpenter is having a sale. Soooooo....Thanks in advance.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yes, the bumpers will "fit" all years. They need the irons for the specific year to bolt on to the car , but if you need to make brackets anyways, go for it.

3. Thanks again, Buddy, for your knowledge

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We fitted a 50 rear bumper to our 49 , pulled it in 1" 1/2. Also as an aside fitted a full 53 kaiser. Rear bumper bar and bullets.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

5. Thanks, Kiwi... I checked out your "media" and "albums" but didn't see any pics of your rear bumper treatment. For a little while, I considered doing what a guy from Beaumont did, and that was to roll the rear pan and use a set of '58 Pontiac split front bumpers turned upside down with plate in the center. Looked great but after a couple of day's search to find those bumpers, all I came up with were either all beat up or Arizona guys saying they would only sell a complete bumper assembly....so I'm kind of off of that idea...Do you have a picture of your Henry J. rear bumper?

6. Well, now I'm in a quandary... I like the looks of the '51 bumpers, and I "think" that's what's on the original '49 that's my avatar, but it seems that the '51 bumpers both have dimples and holes to mount bumper guards, but I'd rather not have bumper guards. Anybody have any ideas?

7. dtmerc50

dtmerc50

8. Thanks, dtmerc50, but 220 bucks for eight bent pieces of steel strap is a bit steep for my budget, plus I will have to modify anyway, since both ends of my frame are not "Ford stock".... I have a torch and a drill..... ahahaha

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think this is accurate: The '49 bumpers are the simplest, and have no stiffening rib on either bumper. The '50 rear has a rib between the bumper guards, but not around the corners; the '51s have a raised rib almost from end to end. As you noted, the ribs on the '51s are interrupted where the bumper guards mount.

I used '50s on both ends of my Victoria, because I was going for a '50 phantom, and I used the bumper guards because I like them. I have run it without guards on occasion, and it looks nice that way too. I guess if you're committed to running '51 bumpers without guards, and the recesses are unsightly to you, about your only option would be to fill in the gaps with half-round rod to keep the ribs uninterrupted. You'd have to metal finish the welded areas, and replate the bumpers. Sounds like a lot of work, and expensive, to me.

10. Thanks, 50Fraud.................yes, ideally, and if I were rollin' in cash, I wouldn't hesitate to get them, weld them up, and have them replated...........but............

11. 'Mo

'Mo

How about '53 Merc bumper guards, on your '51 bumper?

[​IMG]

12. I think I could like that

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Personally, I like the super-simple and smooth look of the 49 bumpers . Even if my car was a 50-51 , I would be running those bumpers . It's all personal taste with stuff like that , of course .

14. Yup i dig the 49 bumpers to

15. Rathbone

Rathbone

The '49 doesn't have brackets (or bolt holes) in the far ends, so they tend not to be straight. You can lean on them wrong and they'll no longer be parallel to the ground.

16. Well it's been 12 years since I built my Vicky. I'm running 49 Bumpers on it. As I remember the 49 and 51 bumpers also had a different arc and I had to do a lot of work to the 51 splash pan front and rear to match the 49 bumpers. Some of what I did was by choice to get the Fit I liked. I have a Nova graph so I had to build the mounts also. I kind of don't think the 51 are a direct fit even on a stock frame.
    I still have a nice 51 Front around here some where. What does D.C. get for his re pop's?
    The Wizzard
    P1010355.JPG

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I am not sure about the Dennis Carpenter's bumpers.I've seen those repop 51 bumpers,they were cheap=smells like china crap to me.I dont personally care much about the '51 bumpers,so i bought a pair of OEM '49 bumpers straight from the chromeplater.

18. ahshoe

ahshoe

I mixed it up a bit and have a 50 on the rear with a 49 Chev license plate guard and I have a 49 smoothie on the front

Attached Files:

19. Most of us with '51s swap for '49-'50 bumpers, '51s aren't really the prettiest. Took me a long time to find some that were in good shape and affordable. If you have cores shoebox-central has pretty decent prices IMO (I don't say that about everything Chris sells). I looked into getting some replated locally and was quoted $1500 each... ouch.

20. Thanks, Big A.... hell I don't know what I'll end up with..... what does IMO mean ? And I have no cores.. soooo...

21. IMO = in my opinion. I need to get mine taken care of as well, I'm not 100% on whether I want to use the overriders.

22. Would anybody know if a 55 Plymouth front bumper would fit/work ?? they don't have bumper guards and look like they may fit, sorta.....
    I'm starting to feel a bit dumb but what the heck is overriders?

23. I like that a lot. ..

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think overriders = bumper guards.

25. Quote; Would anybody know if a 55 Plymouth front bumper would fit/work ?? they don't have bumper guards and look like they may fit, sorta.....end of Quote.

You bet they will fit. Just like any other cross breed part. All you have to have is the talent and time to make them fit.
    Will it bolt right on? I seriously doubt it.
    The Wizzard

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1464990266012-1080525984.jpg 14649903872581052734819.jpg The 50 bumper with 53 kaiser bumper bar we fitted to our 49.we also pulled the bumper in approx 1 1/2". Yep we probably need the splash pan fitted , well something anyway as a stock one won't fit, just to stop stones hooking on the bumper and coming up on the upper body.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Never thought of that the splash panels are different on '49's.So,the easiest way is to get '49 splash panel?

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Front splash pans are different from 49 to 50 to 51, and 6s are different from V8s. There are six different splash pans in all.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I didnt think that either that the V8 models had different splash panels.Thats really good info,thanks!

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The v8 vs. i6 splash panels are different due to the different locations of the radiators .
    This is the first time I'm hearing of different valance/filler panels for 49-50-51 (other than the v8/i6) . I can only really say that the valance on Craig's '50 worked out good with his '51 bumpers ... I don't know what year the valance is from on my '49 , but it fits good around my '49 bumpers .