Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SHOCKS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSJUNIPER, Sep 28, 2016.

1. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

The shocks do not reach the upper mount. Is this because there is no weight on the leaf? No motor in the frame yet? See pictures any advise welcome.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, put the car together, then worry about it. But they will fit then.

3. Weight will help but that looks like a really short shock. HRP

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

I recently got over sweating my rear end setup. I finally realized that it's not done yet, so nothings really gonna fit right....yet.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Partially but you are going to figure out that those shocks are the wrong shocks for that setup. You are going to need longer shocks but I wouldn't buy them until the car was all together and you can measure the distance at static ride height and figure out how much extension and compression you need from there.
    To have those work you need mounts that go at the top side of the axle.

I'm thinking that this is the same length of shock that you have and you can see that he has a real short upper mount that is probably too short as it severely limits the compression length of the shock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a good photo of the shocks but you can see that they have a similar style upper mount and that the bodies of the shocks are somewhat longer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Take a picture of the entire front end of the car, from the front. (with the phone turned sideways, so the stuff you want to show us fills the picture). Then we can get an idea of how much travel the axle has, and how much travel the shocks have.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I wouldn't worry about it until you get the car mostly together... Body on, engine/trans in, etc. With the high arch of that front spring, I do wonder if you'll end up changing that, as well.

hotroddon likes this.
  8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what are these shocks originally for...they look exactly like Harley springer front end shocks when you cut the dust cover off...which I used to do all the time? They were just about this same length and chrome.

9. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

Here are some better pics....

Attached Files:

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Your spring shackles are unloaded, facing the other way. Put the stands under the axle, not the frame and things should begin to move in the right direction. Temporarily set some weight on the frame and look at it. You may have to swap the lower mounts to the other side, cant tell.

Murphy32 likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

If you want some reassurance, you can pull the shocks up all the way they will go, and measure the distance from the shock bolt hole, to the frame bracket bolt hole. Then measure the distance between the spring retainer plate, and the axle. If the shocks need to move a few inches less than the axle will move up before bottoming out, then the shocks are probably long enough.

It all looks fine to me, from what we can see so far.

Murphy32 likes this.
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What @manyolcars said --- your shackles need to flip the other way.

13. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

OK all... Thank you for the help.