Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shocks for Edsel with aerostar coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Y8, Sep 9, 2010.

1. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

Im putting aerostar coils on my Edsel pacer ´58. And I need new shocks.
    Is there any shorter ones to use with the new shorter coils?

Thanks,

Johan

2. Gasser57

Gasser57

Late 80's S-10 Chevy truck.

3. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

Is it the ones that fit 1982-2004 chevrolet s10?

I forgot, Id like harder shocks back since the car will de lowered with 4 inch blocks. Is there any good shocks for that to?

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

what year aero star springs work? all?

I know they work on shoeboxes and stuff but I didnt realize they jived on big body cars too???

5. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

I have 1990 springs. Have not installed them yet, but they look the same exept that they are a lot shorter.

6. Unless you are removing bumpstops or something else that changes the wheel travel, a shorter shock won't be necessary. You are only altering the static ride height otherwise.

7. the stock length shocks may bottom though. I bent one of my 90/10s with short coils a while back on my `57, so yeah, you prob need shorter shocks.

8. Squablow

Squablow

'58 Pacer isn't a big body car, it shares the chassis with Ford cars. Same with Ranger. Only the '58 Citation and Corsair are "big body" cars.

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

mine's a corsair so doea that mean the aero star springs wont work for me?

10. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

i installed aerostar coils and shorter shocks, monroe 5821's on my 50 shoebox, and now im hearing a "chunk" anytime i let off the gas, i think its the shock bottoming out, what shock did you all use?

11. I have heard of guys using either S10 or lowered S10 shocks with the Aerostar coils in full size Fords...Not sure, though, never tried it myself. My current `57 will be drum brakes stock height.

12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I didnt change mine....they are working fine. I did aero coils, too.

Kibbey likes this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Fill me in a bit on the aerostar coils please. how much drop do they end up giving?

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

We measured mine out at about 2 and 3/4s when we did it and its settled slightly since then. They were very, very easy to slide in and only need slight alignement adjustments. I bought two coils new for a 91 aerostar with a 4.0L (the big motor ha ha) for about 55 bucks at the local parts store. We used a 2 inch block in the back and now I wish I woulda gone 3.... I will eventually. The springs really improved my ride and drive quality. It had a tendency to lean like a big dog and send you sliding across the seat at even slow speeds on mild curves. The AERO coils are progressive rate and firmed it up. It stays nice and level. They only thing is they are pretty short and you have to be careful if you raise the front end with a jack that they dont fall outta the spring pockets....hasnt happend to me but I watch for it anyway.

We did the swap one weekend and went to VLV the next... about a 9 or 10 hr drive and not one problem.

Here are some before and afters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEFORE

[​IMG]

I think it made a huge difference in looks and handling. I cant complain about it and would recommend it.

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sweet. My friend's 59 ranger is in need of some front end work and sounds like it should be an easy one to talk him into at that price. especially to take out some of that nasty body roll.

16. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

ive got a 59 ranger. so what i need to do is go to the local parts house and order 1991 ford aerostar coils and its a simple remove and install. so no new length shocks?

17. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I did not change mine. I havent had any problems with the ones that were on before leaking or bottoming out or anything. Its all the same front end just the springs swapped in. Easy.

Now thats not too say you cant swap shocks.....I didnt have to.

18. rizzos56

rizzos56
    from .

i put 91 aerostar springs in my 58 edsel about 2 month ago, and i didnt change my shocks and everything works fine. although they lowered my edsel almost 4 inch in the front.

19. edsel

edsel

20. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

So this trick only works on the small edsels not the big ones?

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

I was under the impression that all edsels where the same platform?

22. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

Ok, thanks everyone. I will buy S10 shocks!

23. edsel

edsel

hotdamn In 1958 you had 2 platforms , the small series based on the Ford, these were the Pacers, Rangers, and wagons, then you had the large series which was based on the Mercury, these were the Citation and Corsair.
    The small edsel used the 361/E400 FE (ford/edsel) engine and Ford suspension, the large edsel used the E410 MEL (Mercury/Edsel) engine and Merc suspension.
    Hope that help clarify some.

edsel

24. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

I was doing some research on aerostar coils and stumbled on this page. my wife saw your car over my shoulder and had a fit - she fell in love with it. she asked me what it was and I told her,"Edsel". she said, "Edsel!?! I thought they were supposed to be ugly! that's gorgeous!" ;).

bedwards likes this.
  25. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Nice 58 drugasm

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

I use the aero star springs on all my fords it's an easy swap. Here is my 59 with aero star springs in the front and 3 in blocks in back. I used stock shock replacements all around and it rides great.

View attachment 2045722

27. NeonGodzilla

NeonGodzilla

I take it that this trick will work on a 59 wagon. Got a buddy who is going to be lowering his Edsel wagon this winter.

Revernd Paul

28. unolf

unolf

I use 90' aerostar springs on my 59 ranger! With heavy fe engine you get very low, only 1" clearance between lower a-arm and frame. It rides good and looks real nice...but the shocks must be much stronger than stock. I think I try adjustable ones from competition engineering

29. greg

greg

I have a 59 villager, 361 fe, and want to do the aerostar, but I keep reading conflicting stories.
    onolf, said 1" clearance:eek:
    rizzo, said a 4" lowering. sounds like an awfull lot.
    drugasm, said 2 3/4 lowering.

I dont need an exact number, but im just afraid it might be too low. If there is such a thing.:D

Maybe its just a matter of getting the big engine aerostar springs?

Didnt mean to hijack the thread, but when Edsel info pops up I get excited.:)

30. parklane

parklane

I'm going to put them on my 61 Galaxie next week, so will let you know.