Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shocking discovery on my Deuce-help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asphalt Outlaw Hero, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

After moving my deuce the other day,I noticed the shock seems to be twisting. I could only do a rough analysis on the freezing floor but it appears to be a nut that would take a deep socket?
    Slacken and move back into place?

As it is now:
    [​IMG]

A picture a while back.
    [​IMG]

Thanks and Merry Christmas !

2. Happens all the time. Back it off straighten it up. Retighten. Do it again in few months. Seems on mine its always the left one. ??????

3. Shocking !? Help ???
    The perch bolt is loose

Were you on one of the "buy it or build it" threads ?

Merry Christmas

4. Tony

Tony

Used to happen on my 33 Pu too. Just did what 325w said, and i also started double checking torque every few months after. Once i started doing that it's stopped moving.
    No big deal.
    Tony

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Is the lower mount keyed to your perch pin? If not, get used to it....or tack weld it to the bone/batwing.

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

^^^^^x2^^^^^

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That used to happen to me until I torqued the perch pins to 80lbs. Never happens anymore.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  8. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torching them seems a bit extreme. I apply a bit of valve lapping compound at assembly. It seems to provide some tooth. Regards, Ron

9. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Corrected

10. Fenders

Fenders

The lower shock mount as I recall on mine has a keyway - but no way to key it to the perch bolt....
    Another fellow with a similar setup says his is keyed so it won't twist.
    Mine twists ....

11. That is a good idea using valve lapping compound, thanks for sharing the tip!

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

13. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Awesome responses! Thanks.
    I had backed it in and the looked back and WDF!
    Thanks guys, take the rest of the day off.:D

14. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

This is a good example of shock mounts that are not correctly aligned. For years there have been numerous complaints about lousy parts, loose bolts and so forth because after a few miles the shock mounts started to rotate on the perch pin. Some Mfg's put a key way in the pins and the lower mounts to remedy the situation but the real problem was to correctly align the axis of the shock mounts.

The shock has to operate thru a straight line between upper and lower mount . Unless the shock bodies have ball ends like racing shocks the mis aligned ends will place enough tension on the shafts to try and find a central axis. During operation the strain placed upon the shock causes the moveable end like the lower shock mount to turn to the position of least strain and that is a sign that the shock mounts are not correctly aligned.

Rotating lower mount are usually a sign that the axle is slightly behind the center line of shock operation. Overtightening the perch nut can mask the problem and potentially shear the perch, lower mount or damage the shock casing.

To determine if you have the alignment correct remove the shock absorber top and bottom and take a straight edge that is long enough to span the distance between uppper and lower mounts. Square the straight edge against the face of the upper shock mount bolt hole tube and extend the edge to the lower shock mount. The two edges should be on the same plain. If the edge of the tool does not kiss the edge of the lower shock mount boss the mount is to far rearward, if it overlaps the edge the mount is too far forward.

15. slepe67

slepe67

Good Stuff Mr Spadaro! I had been wondering about this with my build!

16. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Thanks Dick. It really helps when you get into the "cause" side of the equation.